• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would this work for ringneck doves?

LizandShadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
liz
Amazon.com : New Large Wrought Iron Double Cage w/ Slide Out Divider 3 Levels Bird Parrot Cage Cockatiel Conure Cage 61"Length x 18"Depth x 56"Height W/Stand on Wheels *Black Vein* : Pet Supplies

Its 61"x18"x56H

I've been obsessed with parrots, but know shamefully little about other prospective pet birds. We decided two parrots is our golden number, but I'd like more birds. I'm starting to look into pigeon and dove care, but am having a difficult time finding definitive cage sizes for some of the smaller species. I'd really like birds that would be happy in a 18Wx36Lx36H cage, but think I can swing the larger cage if it would make some ringnecks happy. If not I will go back to poking at some smaller soft bills.

To be honest my ideal non-psittacine may be this white bird that is occasionally in a pet store I go buy every once in a while. I never looked at the name. I think it was a pigeon, but I don't know what kind. It was a bit larger than a ring neck, all white, straight tail, and could be handled easily. It was usually left to waddle around the tiels. Anybody have idea of its species or care?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie

Fishy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Zim
It looks fine for ring necks, as long as you let them out every so often to get some extra exercise. I have Alo in a pretty small cage (18 long, 18 deep, 38 high... Horribly a grey was kept in it before according the people who gave it to me...) at night, because during the day she's always out of it in my room. Even before the move when she had a bigger cage (40 long, 30 deep, 20 high... Or somewhere around those numbers..) she had to come out every day for around two hours or she'd start shaking. Might just be her though; but she needs her extra to be out of the cage. So eventually it turned into her being out of it most of the time. (At least until spring when we can build her a bigger one in the main room.)

That up there looks nice though; big enough for a bowl of water for their baths and a nice setup of perches. Also be weary of if you get younger doves or smaller adults, although that's pretty much common sense. Just remember to let them out of the cage every day.