• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would this be a good cage for a meyers?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Here in Sweden we check Blocket..its our version of craigslist :p
But its a good idea, you can find great stuffs cheap if you doesnt need it to be brand new..Jacks cage i bought throught Blocket...Tobys Cage was brand new orderd from Germany :p
The cage I got would have sold for 8-9 hundred dollars brand new. I got it for 75 dollars. And yes, it had seen better days, but it was still a sturdy functional cage.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
@Sylvester I was thinking about CL too, so when it comes time I may try there first to see what is available. The bird store I went to today also sells used cages.
Oh that's cool. I wish we had a store like that in my state.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
@Sylvester Yeah, I will probably get my bird there too. They are hand raised, harness trained, and DNA sexed. Plus they are trained for vet exams.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
5/8 is fine for a tiel or a meyers.

Meyers are not tiny birds but 3/4 in would be max

3/4 should be fine for both meyers & pionus but pionus are bigger than meyers.

Would not do one inch even for a pionus.

Trouble with really big cages is the ones with nice thick heavy bars are in the 1 inch space range.

Don't like the split levels myself...

I'd look at the chiquita from AA Mid & see if it works but think is 28 inch wide...If you finf it on sale its a nice sturdy cage.

Last edited:

Newt

Meeting neighbors
@camelotshadow You know that is what I have been finding. Either that or it is a gigantic cage but the wire is too small and would not survive a parrot. The bigger the cage the wider apart the bar spacing. I want whatever bird I get to have a lot of space though, so I will see what becomes available when I actually decide on which one to get :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

Newt

Meeting neighbors
I kind of wish there was a way to just build my own enclosure, lol! But I don`t even know where to start!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
trying to reply for half hour

Its not posting links for cages or quotes???

Maybe pet supplies is banned???

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
For reference on size also, this is Slade in his cage. It's an A&E Flight Cage. I do wish the bars were a little thicker but I got it on the Facebook marketplace and paid a lot less then a new one would cost. I now have a nice java perch stand on top that a local store had on sale for $50 and he's one happy guy. This pic is from the day after we got it. It's not to make you get a smaller cage but, I have a hard time picturing what it would look like so I figured a pic might help! :)

IMG_20180604_142056_989.jpg

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
I have a 32" cage for my white capped pi. The bar spacing is under 1". Most cages over 32" I've found have bar spacing at 1"...

(This is only partially set up at the moment, she'll have more toys when she comes home)

Attachments

Newt

Meeting neighbors
@AkasyaEllric That does help. I am having a hard time looking at the dimensions and then picturing a bird in it.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
@RawPasta Oh I like that one too!

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate that every single cage I have looked at that has a bird pictured also says "BIRD NOT INCLUDED!"? I got a huge laugh out of that, mainly because since they all say it, someone must have at some point been like "hey! Where is my bird?!"

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Now it works!

Loro AA is 30 inch wide w 1/2 space on pet supplies . com

That is not a problem. I have 1" to mine and the barspacing are not to big.
You have the larger pionus...not all are the same size esp a white cap. I'd make sure with the 1 inch

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
Now it works!

Loro AA is 30 inch wide w 1/2 space on pet supplies . com

You have the larger pionus...not all are the same size esp a white cap. I'd make sure with the 1 inch

My pi would not be able to be in a cage with 1" spacing. Her head would go right through it. I'm nervous using 1" spacing for my cockatoo.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny is almost 260 grams a hawkhead & has 3/4 inch. I think she could handle 1 inch as her head is wide but you have to be careful they can't get there head out & stuck.

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
Penny is almost 260 grams a hawkhead & has 3/4 inch. I think she could handle 1 inch as her head is wide but you have to be careful they can't get there head out & stuck.

My Penny is at 195g as of today and isn't so broad in the head as a Hawkhead. I think even the blue head pi I've handled would be too small for a 1" spacing. And she was much larger than Penny.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Blue heads can be stubby but just did not want anyone to think 1 in was ok for any pionus. It does depend upon the species & the bird as all are not same size but 1 inch would not fit all pionus & unless you were sure of your particular pionus I'd go 3/4 in

Hawk head bodies are more streamlined then pionus but the head might be bigger.

My Penny is at 195g as of today and isn't so broad in the head as a Hawkhead. I think even the blue head pi I've handled would be too small for a 1" spacing. And she was much larger than Penny.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
I have my Meyers in a California Cage with 1" bar spacing. It is fine. Her feet are big enough to climb the bars and head is too big to get stuck. Unfortuately they don't make Calif. cages anymore. My suggestion would be to get a cage that is very simple for ease of cleaning. Cages with all the extra stuff are a PIA to clean and takes forever, therefore doesn't get cleaned as often as it should. The cages with all the different towers, etc. are useless because by the time you get in all the toys, perches and food dishes, there isn't much room left for the bird. I would choose a cage that is plain and with a dome top as it gives most space for the money. Consider buying a playgym on wheels that the bird can get out and accompany you in other parts of the house. It helps to entertain the bird, helps keep the noise down when the bird is with you and makes them less cage territorial than having their whole life centered around the cage.
The suggestion to have a cage as far off the ground as possible is a good one. If you have predator animals in the house you need to plan for how you will handle that. I only have birds but can only imagine the issues with giving the bird as much out of cage time as possible but not endangering her life.
Looking for a used cage is a practical idea if you can find one in good condition. Keep away from rusty or repainted cages because of the possible toxicity. Check with local bird clubs.