• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would this be a good cage for a meyers?

Newt

Meeting neighbors
I do not have a bird yet, and right now what kind I want is a toss up between a pionus and a meyers parrot. I was kind of browsing different cages and came across these:

Kapoho Kave II Large Corner Bird Cage, Corner Bird Cages, Macaw Bird Cages, Bird Cages
Puna Paradise� Hybrid Large Bird Cage with Playtop - Large Bird Cages and African Grey Bird Cages at Bird Cages 4 Less
Oahu Oasis� Large Bird Cage with Playtop - Large Bird Cages and African Grey Cages at Bird Cages 4 Less

I am kind of leaning away from the corner cage because it looks like it is not as big as it says it is. I like the other two because they have a unique shape and seem nice and spacious on the inside. What do you guys think?

Cassiopejaz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
I would go for the one in the middle...but all 3 are good cages so u cant go wrong with any one of them.

So you deciding between a Meyer or a Pionus?

Newt

Meeting neighbors
@Cassiopejaz
Yeah. And mind you, it will not be until early next year before I get either one so I have a long time for research and question asking :)

Sylvester

Hit the Road
@Sylvester I am still deciding, but tiels have kind of been pushed off the list for me.
Okay, just wanted to make sure I wasn't confusing you with another member. I am glad that you are doing the research. Many people don't.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Meyers are small parrots so you need to pay attention to the bar spacing in a cage. Some of the larger cages also have big bar spacing. I would say no bigger than 3/4" for a Meyers. I don't care for cages that sit low to the ground because if there are cats or other pet predators also in the home the low cages are just inviting trouble. Do you have the room for such large cages?

For one Meyers parrot this one would be nice

Pali Place Bird Cage with Stand, Small Bird Cages, Flight Cages, Bird Cages

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Nice choices Cleaning the lower level on the last one might be challenging.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
@Lady Jane I do. The problem I am running into is that the cages large enough for a meyers parrot seem to have either 5/8" or 1" bar spacing. I think all the cages up there are 5/8" bar spacing. And when I find ones that are 1/2" spacing that are big enough they seem to have flimsy looking bars. I know for both the pionus and the meyers the bars need to be sturdier.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
@Sweet Louise LOL you know even as I was looking at them the thought process was "oooooo pretty! That could go in THIS corner of my room and I could move THIS over THERE and.........................................how the heck will I clean that thing?!" I have a talent for picking out hard to clean tanks and cages though, lol.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
@Lady Jane
That cage seems a bit small :-/ and someone had mentioned a warning about flimsy wiring.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I do not have this cage, but wanted to get it before I found the flight cage I have now for Slade (he's a brown headed parrot, in the poicephalus family, a little bigger then a meyers). It's a good price and one of the biggest 1/2 inch bar spacing cages you can get. You & Me Standing Parrot Habitat | DrsFosterSmith.com Petco also has it for the same price on their website.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Or well, it was a good price, keep an eye on sales. It was just 197.99.

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
@AkasyaEllric Well, it is cheaper than the others I have picked out. And either way I know this will be a big investment up front :)
Take ur time...picking a good cage is important..and since you aint planning to get the bird right now..wait to order a cage and keep an eye open and brows the web..dont rush it...a good cage doesnt need to cost a fortune

Newt

Meeting neighbors
@Cassiopejaz Very true. I enjoy planning stuff ahead but I am maybe overthinking things. I still don`t even know if I will get a bird or what kind yet!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Take ur time...picking a good cage is important..and since you aint planning to get the bird right now..wait to order a cage and keep an eye open and brows the web..dont rush it...a good cage doesnt need to cost a fortune
I got a really good one for my U2 off of Craig's list. It was being sold by a bird rescue volunteer.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
@Sylvester I was thinking about CL too, so when it comes time I may try there first to see what is available. The bird store I went to today also sells used cages.

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
I got a really good one for my U2 off of Craig's list. It was being sold by a bird rescue volunteer.
Here in Sweden we check Blocket..its our version of craigslist :p
But its a good idea, you can find great stuffs cheap if you doesnt need it to be brand new..Jacks cage i bought throught Blocket...Tobys Cage was brand new orderd from Germany :p