• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would my macaw do ok with a African grey?

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
20180417_151306.jpg 20180417_151347.jpg

So do any macaw owners have an African grey as well? Someone is rehoming a young grey and my husband and I are thinking about it but idk how a grey would be with Dorian. I don't expect them to be bffs or anything just civil lol before Dorian came to live with me he lived in a pet store with lots of other birds but since he has been with me he's my only big bird.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It's controversial. Some macaws are prone to pulmonary hypersensitivity when around dusty birds like greys, cockatoos, etc. There's no way to know if an individual macaw is susceptible. It is fatal and usually unnoticed until the macaw is in serious jeopardy. You would be gambling your macaw's life.

People keep both, but that's their choice. Do some research, and see how you feel.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
Ok I didn't realize African greys were dusty birds I have a cockatiel in my bedroom and have a air purifier b/ of that worry. Thank you

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I will not mix South American species (conures, macaws, Amazons, etc) with African birds or Cockatoos/cockatiels. The risk is too great.

African Greys are just as dusty as a cockatoo

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have several macaws and would not add a Cockatoo or African Grey to our flock because of the Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome fear.