• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would my grandma be able to bond with Lovebird pair?

Linearis

Walking the driveway
My grandma seems to have shortened her list of birds she might get to: Lovebirds, Cockatiel or Bourke. She's loved Lovebirds for a long time and she told me if she goes that route, she rather get two (one male, one female). The things I'm worried about are: that they don't want anything to do with her because they have each other, they become territorial over their cage and their mate if my grandma tries to touch either one and become bitey with her. However, I'm also worried to completely dissuade her from Lovebirds when she may end up really liking them. Like if I influence her to get another bird and then she ends up still wishing she would have gone with Lovebirds. I told her she could get just one but she said that she always wanted to have a pair if she got Lovebirds, and is worried one alone would be lonely. She's at home pretty often but there are times where she goes out and is busy, and occasionally she takes trips that usually last no more than a week. In that last case I offered to babysit her bird while she's away.

That's about it, I can provide more info if anyone wants but basically I made this thread to know if Lovebirds would be a good choice or not. :/ And also to see if any members here have a mated pair that still is bonded to them as well. Sometimes I'm not even sure what my grandma wants. At first for example she seemed to like the idea of having a bird who talks but then when I questioned her further today she said just chirping is fine too. She says she doesn't need a super cuddly bird, and wants to do her own thing sometimes at home like play Bridge on her computer, but I do think she'd want some interaction and it makes me wonder if a Cockatiel would be better (or just one Lovebird instead of two...). She really enjoys handling my Parrotlet and having her on her shoulder so I think if she had two birds who mostly just ignored her it would make her feel sad. I suggested she get one Lovebird and then get another but she's worried they won't get along. Any advice is appreciated!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
If there's a rescue nearby, could she visit and see who she "clicks" with? Even if the birds have each other, she's got lots of time, and they could still have fun on her and entertain her. Sherbie doesn't require human interaction, but she LOVES hamming it up and being talked to. She'll come out and sit on your shoulder to supervise/harass you if you aren't being quick enough with what she demands.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Hmmm only thing I can think of nearby is an SPCA and they don't have any Lovebirds for adoption. xD

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Hmmm, my other thought would be to call up your nearest Avian Vet and see if they know of any within a reasonable distance. Often times people will try to dump off birds with the Vet, or they examine the birds being rescued/fostered.