• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would like another bird

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
What’s the best type of bird to get when you have cocktails? We want to eventually either get a cockatoo or a pineapple conure . We can’t decide which. I just want to make sure that won’t harm each other’s health.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Cockatiels are dusty birds, conures are not. I don’t know exactly how to manage that because I have only had dusty birds, but iT is something to take ito consideration. I saw a couple thread about that a little while ago only I don’t remember who Made them:)

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Yes , that’s what I thought too. It’s also hard because as much as I would love a cockatoo there is not many local breeders who breed cockatoos but two that breed conures one of which I got my cockateil from if we went with the conure we could leave them in a different room

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
20171211_115629.jpg it's not the best picture but my cockatiels and my conure get on together to the point of trusting them to be left alone together but they are very different personalities and have different needs. My conure is definitely 10 times more confident than my tiels and they always defer to him for food and perch space. However the longer they spend together the more they understand each other and the less they get jumpy around each other. When we first brought our conure ( yellow sided green cheek conure called RIO.) We thought it was a mistake but after a couple of months of supervision and lots and lots of out of the cage time where they could always fly as a flock around the house and burn off all their energy they learned where they came in the pecking order and now one of my tiels and my conure are now quite close and quite often perch together. However saying that never put them in the same cage together and understand they have different dietary needs and different bed times but it should work.?
Ps my conure is a male.
I cannot give advice on cockatoo as I don't have one but it is safe to say a cockatoo should be left to the most dedicated bird lover who possesses the correct understanding of them and can provide them a good big home to destroy and endless love and attention to keep them sane. From what I gather the hardest part of being a cockatoo parent is stimulation and mental health...
Hope this helps..

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I used to have a cockatiel. I now have a cockatoo. I didn't have them both at the same time. However, I will say based on my having each, I would never leave a cockatoo unattended with a cockatiel. The size difference is just too great. My too never bites aggressively but he does "beak" you if he's unhappy or wants your attention, etc. I would worry about the damage he could do to a little tiel if he did that to one. Also, temperament wise- huge difference. My tiel was very laid back and pretty quiet. My too is zany and into everything. And so not quiet. So I think a conure would probably be a better fit with a cockatiel. Or just get another cockatiel.

@cassiesdad ?

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
That’s what we where thinking to, it also helps that I know and trust the conure breeder as she’s the one I got my charile from. Even my vet was surprised about how healthy of a bird he was when we took him into his well vist.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My cockatoos have always been indifferent to the other species of birds...until Buddy the Nanday came to our house. Milton and Buddy have similar personalities, and took a rather immediate dislike towards each other. I believe that Milty's pulling of feathers was partially caused by seeing us interact with Buddy...and whenever their cages are in the same room, they argue and yell at each other.
Buddy is indifferent (to use the same word again) with his dealings with our tiels and budgies. They all live in the same room- in separate cages. When they are out of their cages- which is most of the daytime- they keep to themselves. The tiels like to go into Buddy's cage to steal his food, and that naturally gets Buddy upset. He'll chase the thief out of his cage and then guard his food.

Milton has his cage in our bedroom, away from the littles. I believe that is the best setup for us...I do not trust Milty's big beak with the littes...at all.

Tiels are calm, laid-back souls...and other species seem to pick up on this, and will sometimes pick on them because of that fact. These are just my observations based on the birds I've "owned", now and in the past.

That all being said, there are many people who have small and larger sized species together in an aviary-type setting, with success. I believe that a key to this success is that the birds can FLY, thus being able to get to safety when needed. Another key is that the aviary is large enough so the birds can have very definite "favored" spaces for themselves.

One other thing...if you do bring a conure of any species into an area with tiels, make sure you set up an air purifier to cut the tiel dust down for the conure...we have three machines running because of Milton, Igor, Mocha, and Sunshine...and I'm considering a fourth machine...

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Oh I know , we got the chance to meet one. It amazes how loud little birds can actually be

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 'tiels and conures usually got along. Just depends on the bird.
Why not get another 'tiel?

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Why not get another 'tiel?
Just to have a different breed. I love birds in general. We will probably end up with another cockateil as well . Our max is four for the amount of birds we want , but my local breeder has a hard time sometimes selling her females because everyone wants a male so I told her the next it happens to call me and I would gladly take the little lady in.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That’s a cutie conure for sure, but female tiels are the sweetest birds!:heart:

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
Tiels in general are very sweet, friendly and sociable birds. What bird to get when you have a tiel? I would have to of course endorse another tiel, but conures are another popular second. There's also no guarantee two birds will get along.