• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would a caique be a good companion for me?

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Thank you so much @finchly (I just figured out what the @ was for!!) for the advice. I know this and so my attitude on it is that my parrotlets will have free range of the spare room and the aviary, and the whole house on weekends. IF and that is a humungous IF, it will be as I said, a rescue or literally "fall from the heavens" for me to adopt one. If this does occur, believe you me, I will have a spare room just for him (we live in a 4 bedroom home and we only use 2), we have a large house with only 3 people. Lots of space, plenty of time and we are lucky to be able to afford the expense. I have almost nine years of experience in raising chickens and other types of birds. I have successfully introduced hens to flocks for people many times and have taught many classes about them. I teach aquaponics too as a sideline. The money I collect has been going to underprivileged schools in San Jose to help fund music and sports programs. We've also created projects for dog training in our neighborhood to introduce all the dogs to each other and to the humans. This helped to avoid dog bites and lost dogs as we recognize each other's animals and know how to handle them. My chickens have jumped my fence (10 feet) and went eating grass and my neighbors kindly just picked them up and put them back in our back yard. We do the same for everyone's animals if they get out. So far so good.

I've raised two kids as a single parent, working full time at a job that took 80 hours a week from me for over 30 years. My children are now 20/22 respectively. My oldest has graduated and works for a great company and is independent and my daughter is attending college as a full time student. I will soon have three empty bedrooms with parrotlets who are paired. My dogs are also who are little yorkies have each other and hubby (they are both fixed-no reproducing), and my hubby can work 18 hours a day.

I will be responsible and I will know how to handle and introduce before this ever happens. It is a dream and if it happens, I am willing to take all the bad and never give up. Holy Toledo haven't given up on my kids yet either. I don't know how to give up or to be irresponsible. It isn't in my DNA. :sunflower:

Reactions: Tim

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@finchly @Familyof12

You’re both lovely people and caiques sound like delightful, crazy, diabolical fluffies! I have awe and respect for the people who keep those little performers entertained (or have thoughts of doing so). :D

Peace and love! :grouphug:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@finchly @Familyof12

You’re both lovely people and caiques sound like delightful, crazy, diabolical fluffies! I have awe and respect for the people who keep those little performers entertained (or have thoughts of doing so). :D

Peace and love! :grouphug:
Thank you fluffy! To get back to the subject at hand -- Mr. Rio got into one of those seed pod things which I had filled with treats wrapped in paper towel. He got a little piece of it and rolled on his back playing with it for TWO HOURS! :lol:

Hubby said oh look, he's got a blanket!

I know lovies are adorable too. I just loooove my caique! :heart:

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
I will have to pick your brain sometime @finchly regarding your BHC. I have not given up my original plan of getting a BHC. I am currently fighting though with two things. Getting ok with the idea of keeping Finches and a Caique, and getting used to all the crumbs everywhere... sigh. That part is taking some getting used to. Lada makes a MESS and I just don't know yet if I can permanently deal with finches and Caique.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Pick away! I adore mine.

Most of my friends complain that finches make a lot more mess than (their) bigger birds.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Haha wow really? I don't want to hijack this thread. Working on a new post in Caique sub forum. Thanks!