• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

would a b&g fit on this playstand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, a B&G might fit on it, but it doesn't really offer much room to actually "play." I'd invest in something larger if it were me. :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No. That dowel looks way too thin and small, and I agree with Ellen that it doesn't allow enough room overall for her to do anything. A play stand or gym needs to be big enough for the bird to climb and have at least some range of movement. I know you're working with a budget, but if money's tight, maybe you should think about getting a climbing net (and hang at an angle) instead:

Crawlers and Nets - Oliver’s Garden Bird Toys - Chester, Nova Scotia, Canada

A DYI project could work well too.

ifly

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ariba
Ya that's what I thought too. Thanks for the info guys! I will look into nets:)

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Yeah, those round playstands are not good for anything other than depositing a bird on for a few minutes while you run into the other room, and even then, any macaw worth his salt will climb off it in a flash.

I bought one similar to that when I adopted Ziggy. I didn't know any better, and the bird store guy recommended it. :rolleyes: We replaced the dowel with a suitably sized natural branch, but it was a total waste of money. I gave it to a guy who collects and sells scrap metal.

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Yes, that size would work but it's not really a place where you would want your bird to play for hours.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I made a DYI bird net for my two. It was actually really easy! Mine was pretty small compared to what yours will be but I think I only spent like $10-$15. I plan to make another soonish out of cotton, my last one was manila rope.

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Ya that's what I thought too. Thanks for the info guys! I will look into nets:)
I don't know if this will help or not but I made a net out of a piece of wooden dowel ( thick diameter) and cotton rope I bought from the home improvement store. I used macramé square knots to make the net part. It looks like the bought ones - not quite as pretty or neat of course:lol:I don't have my baby yet so it hasn't been tested and I only used thinner rope and thought I would replace it with thicker as my baby grows. All up it cost me about AUD $30 so I bet you could do it for less than a bought one. It's easy to find macramé instructions on line. I never expected to use my old macramé skills again! :)

gayeschaul

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Gaye Schaul
Check out Bird on the Rocks for a great playgym for your b and g. (birdontherocks.com)

I have a Green Wing who uses on of his and I love it. It is well made for big guys and girls.

I sell the large crawler for big birds that Olivers Garden has on her website. I have one in stock.

Gaye Schaul moonpie1998@comcast.net

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
its not really that hard to make one yourself. for about $40 worth of wooden parts i made one for my macaw and my zon. (they took turns on it)

my macaw's fav place to hang out is his play 'tree' that i call his 'totem pole' (cause he likes to hang out on top like an eagle on a totem pole!
:hehe: ) it is simply a 6ft tall pole with holes drilled thru and dowels threaded thru.

ifly

Real Name
Ariba
^does ur macaw enjoy that playgym? Is it good, or no?

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I wouldn't consider that a playstand, rather a t stand for training and stuff like that. Make your own with pvc, wood and bird safe rope :)

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
I have one of those and its fine for my blue and gold and greenwing

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
And i have this one which is a lot bigger but both are favorites over here

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
^does ur macaw enjoy that playgym? Is it good, or no?
Do you mean me? Yes, Raylan lives on that playstand and hangs from it too. He also stands on the top of the ring and slides down :D

Here you can see what I mean:

ifly

Real Name
Ariba
Thanks ortegah For the video! It really helpss:)

Zookeeper23

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Candice
We adopted Edgar and he came with this stand. We modified it for more enjoyment. =) Here is a before and after. We've actually added more since this pic. I made this net myself. Cost like 9 bucks from lowes. just check for safe ropes before purchasing.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.