• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Worried now - havent seen Indy drink by himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
You all know hes just got back from the vets with other things besided dehydration.
Im posting here because I havent seen him drink by himself in the 6 hours hes been home.
Hes had access to 2 bowls of water with his Baytril in, but as far as Ive seen hes not had a drink, Ive been away from him for about an hour since weve been back.
Ive just realised and given him 2mls with a syringe, but the last thing I want is for him to have to go back because he wont drink.
Help Please x

He has eaten, he went straight to his food when he got in, hes also had some spaghetti and half a handful of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and peanuts, and he seems bright enough, hes wide awake at 10.30 after Ive tried putting him to bed once, and hes pooped a few times.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
See if you can get him to eat some juicey fruit. That is what my vet recommends for my bird who has pneumonia right now.

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
Is it a good idea at 10:48 at night?
I will quite willingly get him a slice of apple right now.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he hasn't drank I would definitely offer him some fruits now.

Blazeybird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Houston
See if you can get him to eat some juicey fruit. That is what my vet recommends for my bird who has pneumonia right now.
Just to clarify, for any who might be reading, she does not mean the chewing gum ;)

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
I was simply posting a safety clarification for any newbies who may be lurking and diddnt realize there was a difference ;)

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you Houston!!LOL! I would have capatalized it if I named a product. No gum for birds!!

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
No problem. I know, but on forums a lot of people dont capitalize anything, so I was just being safe! :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I was simply posting a safety clarification for any newbies who may be lurking and diddnt realize there was a difference ;)

thanks Houston, that is a good point!

Tammy, I hope he drinks for you soon - did you change him back to bowls while he was gone? if so, that may be throwing him too

:hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Taste the water you are giving him with baytril in it, If you don't like the taste I doubt he will. You might try and mix some apple flavored pedialyte with the water and see if it helps. The pedialyte will help with hydration also as well as mask the taste.

gary

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He's not drinking because of the meds in his water. Many birds won't drink their water with stuff in it which is why it's not a good way to give meds. Give him some clean water so he at least gets some water in him. If he will drink any kind of juice (apple, orange, pomegranite whatever) I would try to mix the meds in that and give him a syringe full. It will hide the taste much better. Also a better way to know how much meds he's getting.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Have you tried giving him drops of water on your fingers?

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
Thanks Everyone
Ive just called the vet and spoke to a nurse who has said try soaking some fruit in the water and then letting him eat it.
Ive tried his water it foesnt taste of anything.
Yes I swapped him back to bowls, I may just give him a bottle as well.
Hes drunk some out of the lid from the bottle his water is in this morning.
Right now hes on my head eating a soaked piece of apple.
I was concerned because if hes eating fruit hes not getting any medication, and that may mean another injection.
When I was giving him the weaker Baytril he was having it mixed .5 with orangejuice and that went down well.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Hope Indy is doing better now Tammy? Poor little chap sounds as if he is really going through it.Lucky he has you on his case! Good luck.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
How is he this morning?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Tammy Indy is not 100% so you will have to still maintain supportive care until you see his behavior back to normal. If you have to force liquids then that is what you need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.