• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worried about Watson

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Watson (GCC male) is so quiet and sweet and so attached to Cricket (GCC male) but lately Cricket is just obsessed with Cocoa (female Amazon!).

I watch them carefully but Cricket keeps leaving poor Watson to fly to Cocoa and tries to get right up beside her. Once, under very close supervision, the two of them even rubbed beaks. Cricket, the little Romeo, head bobs and snakes his neck at Cocoa. Surely he doesn't .Think he can be romantic with her!? He is (was?) bonded to poor Watson. Now Watson, who can't fly seems left behind.

The boys share a cage and where they were once inseparable, I now sometimes see them apart. Not always, but there has been a shift.

Cocoa for the most part is oblivious to them.

I only brought Cocoa home because I thought the boys had such a strong bond. Even the vet commented on it. And I never thought a female Amazon would change that.

I might be reading too much into it but it feels like something has changed and I feel so sad. It is my fault. To let them out separately would cut their time out in half on weekdays when I work.

I feel like I messed up and let them down.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Maybe he's just curious. They both probably are, but Cricket is the only one who can go check her out? I'm glad she was nice to him.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Oh I'm sorry :( But please don't blame yourself. I know by your posts how much you love and care for your birds. I think it's always risky to bring in a new bird but that doesn't mean you should never do it. I don't think you did anything wrong. You never don't how the dynamics of the flock will change still you can't blame yourself. You went in with the best intentions and thought things through
:hug8:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Maybe he's just curious. They both probably are, but Cricket is the only one who can go check her out? I'm glad she was nice to him.
I was told she came from a multiple bird house but was not bonded to another bird. There was at least one cockatoo surrendered with her that was adopted quickly but they left her behind. She is also accustomed to cats. I think that is why she is pretty chill in general. She might actually like more contact but the difference in beak size scares me.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Today for some reason, Watson really looked alone but I snuck back after lights out and the two of them are huddled up in their sleep corner together. That made me feel a bit better.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:heart:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't know that a Pyrrhura and an Amazona can create little ones...

Charlie was actually buddies with an amazon in his foster home, but then again, he's also a mitred conure. His britches are overflowing with conure 'tude! ;) :rofl: And also the reason why he's missing half of his lower beak.... cage buddies with an amazon, easily picked on two other amazons so why not the big blind ruby macaw, too?!?!? Ya... he got the short end of the stick... 2 surgeries later, and he now requires beak trims for the rest of his life. This happened 12 years ago and he's 24 this year.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
@Monica thanks for sharing that. Cricket is also too big for his britches and my worry is one day he will catch Cocoa in a mood and suffer the consquenses. That is why i keep them a distance apart most times. Cricket is an adept flyer though and is very persistent. I didn't think a mating would work, i am just astounded to think Cricket might think it possible with all the prancing and head bobbing!

And that brings me back to poor Watson, watching along from a distance. They are bonded, feed each other, preen each other, constantly cuddling etc. Now Cricket keeps leaving his side. :(

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Does Watson let you handle him ? if so, you may want to try giving him one on one time with you, while the other two are interacting. Still keeping an eye out on "big bird little bird".
In other way's you become part of the flock! you pair-up with Watson , this may trigger a response from Cricket to investigate. Try not to worry "about and overthink" how things should be but instead get creative with what it is . ;)

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Does Watson let you handle him ? if so, you may want to try giving him one on one time with you, while the other two are interacting. Still keeping an eye out on "big bird little bird".
In other way's you become part of the flock! you pair-up with Watson , this may trigger a response from Cricket to investigate. Try not to worry "about and overthink" how things should be but instead get creative with what it is . ;)
Unfortunately Watson is very skittish. He does not like to be handled. I re-homed him and he has never been hands on. He will let me help him from place to place but prefers Cricket to me, that is for sure. I can try to talk to him more though - as an individual and not always as a pair. I think I am guilty of that. Makes me think of my niece when she was little. She called my parents "Nanapapa" - one word. She could not fathom Nana without Papa or vice versa.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Unfortunately Watson is very skittish. He does not like to be handled. I re-homed him and he has never been hands on. He will let me help him from place to place but prefers Cricket to me, that is for sure. I can try to talk to him more though - as an individual and not always as a pair. I think I am guilty of that. Makes me think of my niece when she was little. She called my parents "Nanapapa" - one word. She could not fathom Nana without Papa or vice versa.
Oh well , still try not to overthink it , I too , tend to worry about making sure all my critters needs are met and that some how I may/will fail them. but at the end of the day I have to realize that they are safe and loved and their needs are met as best as I know how.
Maybe this could be an opportunity to work with Watson, step-up step-down with your hand or a stick, he may be more willing to try now that the dynamics' have changed, even for a few minutes a day,. he may surprise you !

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Today for some reason, Watson really looked alone but I snuck back after lights out and the two of them are huddled up in their sleep corner together. That made me feel a bit better.
So happy to read that! :)
I feel like I messed up and let them down.
Of course you didn't! :hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There's already large conure x amazon hybrids out there... if they are still alive. Pyrrhura might be stretching it though!

Poor Watson! I wonder if you'd be able to gain his trust some with bribes.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Poor Watson! I wonder if you'd be able to gain his trust some with bribes.
He has been with me two years now and will step up as a last resort but he so stubborn he is funny. He "insists" on putting himself to bed while Cricket steps up to be popped in the cage. Watson gets so nervous about eating out of my hand that he just comes up, rips whatever it is apart, and runs away. We have worked out a quiet agreement. I place things for him, show him what I want and let him do it himself. We go at his pace and it usually works but I think I will step up the attention at bit - still hands off. If he is comfortable.

He really is such a sweet soul. He is a bit small and does not have the muscle development Cricket has. He used to perch really low and he does not seem to know how to truly fly but he has developed a lot and come out of his shell since I brought him home. The vet is really pleased with his progress. He is just shy.

Of course we dont know much about his previous life except his owner had JUST had a baby. She had two GCCs, couldn't bear to give up the other one but wanted Watson gone ASAP. :( She did seem sad but we exchanged money for bird in the lobby of her apartment building and she couldn't even tell me what brand pellets he ate. I ended up giving her more money than she asked for and just grabbed him and ran :heart:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How sad :( but at least Watson's life turned out better than he could have ever hoped. :swoon:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How has the love triangle been going?

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Cricket is still determined to get close to Cocoa and while she is not agressive, she is not keen on him. He makes her nervous so I don't let him get too close.