• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Worried about Maddie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Allison, my hat goes off to the wonderful way you are coping with all of this.Lots would just go to pieces but you hang on in there.Do hope Maddie is showing signs of improvement by now, or her next visit to the vet will be more eventful. Good luck.:hug8:

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Ok, I talked to my vet and she said that I should feed her whatever she wants to eat as long as her crop is empty. She doesn't want her organs to start shutting down if she stops eating. She told me to get pedialyte and hand feeding formula and to mix some applesauce, baby food, and a sprinkle of slippery elm and try to feed her that. She said that I should try lots of different foods and then call her back at 11 to make sure she is making progress. She said that if she is not eating by then to bring her in and they will force feed her and "hospitalize" her. So I went to target and Petco. The only formula I could get there was Kaytee which sucks, but I called her and she said that it will be fine for now. I got pedialyte from Target and mixed up the formula. She ate a bout 1 mL and seemed to perk up a bit. She even flew away from me, but I caught her quickly and returned her to her hospital enclosure for more rest. I gave her some seeds and millet and she ate some of that also.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Allison, great to see she is eating! I would not feed very much slippery elm dry. Mix it 1 part slippery elm to 4 parts water and put on or in food. When dry it absorbs a lot of water. Mix some and you will see what I mean.

gary

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Allison, you are doing an outstanding job with Maddie!!
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

gary

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am so happy she is eating a bit...keep up your wonderful care!

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Allison, you are doing a great job nursing her back to health. You vet sounds great. Keep us updated. I know it can be scarey but it is great that Maddie has an appetite.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Thank you guys! :hug8:
I just talked to her again and she said that as long as she is eating and drinking that she is better off with me. She said birds do better at home than in a vet and that there isn't much that she can do that I can't. I have done sub Q fluids and tube feeding at the rescue but since Maddie so small I would prefer having someone else doing it if it has to be done.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Keep up the good work, Maddie is in good hands with you.
:hug8:

gary

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:hug8:Glad to hear she's doing a bit better. Will continue to send thoughts and prayers her way.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
You are doing a wonderful job Allison! I am glad to hear that she is eating some. :hug8:

Lex123

You are an awesome parront :) Keep up the good work with her.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
My mom took me shopping for a few hours to keep my mind of Maddie. I just got back and she ate some more formula just a little bit ago. She ate 1.2 mLs and I added more pedialyte to it this time because I'm worried about her hydration. I'm working tonight from 4 til 10 should I give her PM dose of meds before or after my shift? Yesterday she got her PM dose around 6 pm and then I gave her her AM dose around 7:15 this morning. It's supposed to be given approx. every 12 hours.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I also forgot to mention that she is looking very weak and is having trouble climbing around now.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I ended up just giving her her PM meds now. I didn't want to have to wake her up if she is asleep by the time I get back. She was nibbling on some seeds before I gave her the meds but she might have inhaled some of the meds. She looks very sleepy again now.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
It is important she has her meds on a continual basis Allison so that she has permanent cover and it will work while she rests.Sometimes the meds themselves can make them sleepy also. As long as she is having her fluids and some food, the rest is helping her heal. Good luck.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Both of you are doing good. How do the poops look? Have you checked her weight? Keep her warm and hydrated and keep some dextrose, (kayro syrup will work), handy should you need it. Only give a couple of drops in case of emergency.

gary

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try to keep meds at 12 hour intervals. It is made to cover that amount of time. If she continues with weakness please contact your vet.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Allison Maddie is probably weak from not eating enough. When you get home make sure she eats. Hoping she eats while you are gone. If she is not eating, check with the vet but you might be able to take her in for fluids and food and bring her back home for your supportive care.

gary

Status
Not open for further replies.