• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Worried about Maddie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
For the last couple of days Maddie has been napping a lot. She has not been as active as usual and I'm getting kind of worried.
She is still eating and drinking but today she seems extra sleepy. She just layed completely down in my hand and let me scratch her head which she usually does not like. She is molting right now, so that may be why she is acting differently, but I'm still worried. I'm working tomorrow morning but I'll call the vet during my lunch break to make an appointment. She is currently in a hospital enclosure with heating pad underneath and eating some hand feeding formula and baby food.
Oh, and she does not feel/look like she is laying an egg.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
You are doing a great job! The added warmth may be all she need to get over what is bothering her. Please keep a good eye on her and watch her poop for changes.

Make the vet appointment, you can always cancel it.

gary

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Thanks Gary.
I also noticed that one of her nares looks to be blocked. Possibly by food? It looks dark redish black so it's either a berry or blood. I'll see what the vet thinks. I don't see any evidence of her being bitten so I don't know where blood would have come from.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Allison, how is your Maddy today? Hope there are signs of improvement in her liveleness? If she is sleepy still then it could be an infection and she would need attention pronto. Good luck.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how is she doing today? I would get her to the vet asap dear....you never know..

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Don't know how I missed this. Prayers for your little one.

Ginger

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
She's looking a little better, but I'm going to make an appointment anyways.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Glad she looks better :)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Do not want to panic you Alison, but a bird will try hard to give the impression all is well, when they are really poorly. If and when you see the change they really are poorly and need help ASAP. Good luck.

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
Alison, as Ann just said they can hide illness well as you probably know, so even if she looks like she is perking up, I would take her to the vets just to be on the safe side of things, and if she is getting better fine, but at least you know 100%.
I dont know if you have been reading about Indy, but I took him to the vets on the Friday and by the Monday I had to take him back because he had gone downhill in the three days between, and he ended up staying in for three days.
So please make sure she is ok.
Tammy

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Hope Maddie is alright, Allison. let us know how the vet visit goes.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I know first hand how well birds hide illness and how fast they can go down hill. I had been planning a vet trip ASAP since I noticed the symptoms. I called this morning before work and made an appointment right after work. I just got back. The vet is not sure what's wrong but is very worried about her. She did xrays and a CBC. The Xrays showed a possible foreign body at the end of her trachea (I think that's the term?). She said that both her crop and her stomach are very full so she is worried about a possible obstruction. She said that something in her abdomen also looked really enlarged and bumpy. She said that she couldn't really tell if it was her liver or her reproductive system from the xrays but since Maddie is so young and has a history of egg laying, she thinks it might be her reproductive system. She also said she is anemic. Her WBC was 39 and should be in the mid forties and she said that WBCs she has are very reactive (I'm not really sure what that means). She wants me to just give her water for several hours tonight to make sure that her crop empties and she is pooping ok. I have her in her hospital enclosure again and she is sleeping. The vet wants me to call her in the morning to see how she's doing and I might have to bring her in again. She gave her fluids sub Q and Zeniquin which is an antibiotic. She said that she is not worried about any diseases at this point and thinks that if she was bleeding internally that she would have very black droppings. She also said that she doesn't believe that it is egg yolk peritontis.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Oh my goodness. Prayers for Mattie coming right away.

Ginger

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Great to see you got a vet appointment today. A couple of things you can run by your vet. Applesauce and papaya work well to help a crop empty. Slippery elm is very good for helping a bird or animal pass and obstruction and is very good for the digestive tract. Attached is a article on slow crops, since your bird my have and obstruction do not massage. Did the vet suggest any herbs to help the anemic condition?

Crop Emptying Problems - Slow Crop / Sour Crop

gary

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Oh no poor Maddie. :( I hope she is going to be ok. I will be sending positive prayers her way.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Great to see you got a vet appointment today. A couple of things you can run by your vet. Applesauce and papaya work well to help a crop empty. Slippery elm is very good for helping a bird or animal pass and obstruction and is very good for the digestive tract. Attached is a article on slow crops, since your bird my have and obstruction do not massage. Did the vet suggest any herbs to help the anemic condition?

Crop Emptying Problems - Slow Crop / Sour Crop

gary
Thanks Gary! She did not mention any herbs, no.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH no, I am so sorry...so if it is an obstruction you are just waiting for it to pass? Did she mention the possibility of a mass? Just thinking of what I am going through with Kiwi...

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
She said it could be a mass but she would be surprised due to her age.

Status
Not open for further replies.