• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worried about fat

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
I've been posting a lot of threads but thats just cause i worry about everything... Any who i noticed Pixel had a little crease down her belly, is that normal? She's hardly hand tame so I've been trying to sneakily feel her belly while asking her to step up (BTW she HATES it when i touch her belly! so its been pretty difficult to get a feeling) getting her on a scale sounds difficult because she's usually terrified of anything new (and she especially won't stand on anything new!) Do you guys have any advice? Is this crease thingie normal?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The crease sounds a bit like an over weight bird. Here is an illustration:

Keelbone-ILLUS.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You are welcome.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Please remember that just because the feathers look like there might be a "crease" it doesn't necessarily mean that she is overconditioned

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@Milo Yeah i know but just to be on the safe side id like to know if she's a good weight

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
@Milo Yeah i know but just to be on the safe side id like to know if she's a good weight
I agree, and to know that you need to be able to feel her pectoral muscles in relation to her keel, you won't be able to do it just by looking. If she won't allow you to feel it while she's standing you may have to towel her.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I once read an article that said around 80% of companion birds are over-weight. due to poor diet, lack of activity and over feeding. We restricted our birds flight and given them bowls of food.