• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Working with older birds

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
One of my lovies is very standoffish and has not been handled very much due to high stress and picking issues he has had over the years.

I want to start working with him to get him more up on his flying and turning because he kinda flies like a chicken.. straight and then a loss of altitude. he does step up on a perch very well but he isn't a very big fan of me. I want to get him use to being out and about more so he can spend time with his human of choice Grandma which is who he tried escaping to yesterday but he couldn't get the whole turning thing down very well. Any advice would be appreciated on how to go about this to help him get better at turning and a little more lift.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He is a mature adult bird. The chances of him flying better than he does now aren't good. There's only one way to improve flight and that is to increase fitness, stamina and skill by getting out there and fly fly fly. Another factor is feather condition. Damaged flights are of course going to hinder any flight.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Yeah he wasn't hindered at all by a long shot. I almost had birdie royal rumble and had to seperste them. BoBo went after Gracie five times while she was in her cage.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
i am going to start by working with him every other day for about 2 hours just letting him out and do his thing and trying to keep him in the other room because he really really doesn't like Gracie at all. He even tried to go after her with her cage being covered :cautious: