• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wood questions

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
I spent ALL DAY out on a hike collecting branches for the birds and when i got back i realized - JUNIPER IS ON THE TOXIC LIST!! I'm so bummed! We found a great branch that would have been perfect for their cages... BUT anyway bad news aside, I have some questions about wood!
1 - I live in the desert so most of the plants here are dead & dry, Are dead and dry woods OK?
2 - I've heard that you are supposed to boil/bake the branches you have, But what if they are too big to boil and bake? What should you do to make sure its safe?
3 - Should you remove the bark or keep it on?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I don't see why dead/dry would be a problem unless there are critters or bacteria were living in them, or if they had cracks that could catch toenails.

If they're too big, bake them in the sun. :)

Keep it on; most birds enjoy stripping the bark themselves for entertainment.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
i can never decide what the right way is. i try and cut my own branches rather than gather fallen ones this is because where i live there are so many dogs and other animals trampling all over them and also they are more likely to be contaminated by bugs and mold. i leave the bark on as much as possible but it depends on the wood. if its smooth like ash, i give it a good scrub with diluted vinegar and rinse it with hot water, then bake it in the sun for a few days. or, if its a large piece i put in the van which acts like an oven. perhaps prepare the wood in the summer so we can utilise the sun.