• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wood advice needed for aquarium stand and canopy

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I wasnt going to pour anything, I was going to use cement blocks, say 16"x16"x4", I dont think there is enough space to stack 2 of them.
I would probably have to dig down maybe 2" to get to hard clay and rock, we have terrible soil out here where I live.

Thanks for your help, I'll let ya know how it turns out when I do it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There will be some initial settling of the blocks as they seat themselves. You will need to retighten the support poles a few times in the beginning.

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
these videos are very informative and helpful, I used his vids several times (he has an awesome DIY CO2 doser)(plus I got distracted watching his [now dead] arowana tank, it had some awesome motoro stingrays). Just a few reminders: If you are doing a saltwater tank, don't use cross beams in the interior of the stand, you will need to put a lot of filtration here, sumps/refugiums take up a ton of space, also, in the canopy make sure to leave ventilation, its one of the most overlooked problems in reefing, those lights make a TON of heat (even the LEDs make some, you will need fans); my suggestion would be to have an area where the fan can blow cool air directly across the surface, this will distribute your cooler temps and make for easier wiring and maintence (no wiring/fan in the top means easy access to your lighting system). Good luck

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Thanks, Ive watched many of his videos. Ive already built the stand but I have actually seen that video.
This is my 4th or 5th stand to build, but first that I want to use cedar planks on.
I havent started on the canopy, I wanted to wait until I bought my lights before I built it.

I also watched the video of his stingrays dying, pretty sad.
That arowana he has is nice, not something I would have but a very nice fish anyways. He just seems so lonely in that tank, but he is
so big lol

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
Thanks, Ive watched many of his videos. Ive already built the stand but I have actually seen that video.
This is my 4th or 5th stand to build, but first that I want to use cedar planks on.
I havent started on the canopy, I wanted to wait until I bought my lights before I built it.

I also watched the video of his stingrays dying, pretty sad.
That arowana he has is nice, not something I would have but a very nice fish anyways. He just seems so lonely in that tank, but he is
so big lol
I'm the opposite, if it was up to me I'd have an arapima (basically the Arnold Schwarzenegger version of an arowana) and the 1,000 gallon tank that it would need (though tbh I would rather put a green moray in a 1000 and let it get really big, can you imagine how amazing it would be to feed something like that).