• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Won't Bath

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
I am having a very hard time trying to get my African Grey to accept bathing. I have been spraying her with a water bottle and it's been a nightmare every time, she screams, bites and tries to fly away. What can I do to get her to enjoy bath time?.....HELP

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How long have you had her? It took my cockatoo over a month after I got him before he would let me give him a bath. I think part of it was just adjusting to a new home. I also never force a bath. If he doesn't want misted, I stop. I try to make it fun. I sing dumb songs. I let him see me spray my hands to show him it's okay. Also, try different times of the day. For instance my cockatiel only wanted a bath by noon or later. Never in the morning. Also, make sure the water isn't too cold. You can also try playing rain noises when giving the bath. Or have you tried a shower or water bowl? Some birds just don't like being misted.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If she's a rehome, there's a chance that someone in her past used a spray bottle as a determent and now she fears it. I would go slow and offer shallow bowls for bathing. My guys like to bathe in their water dishes too which isn't ideal. Some birds love to bathe when you vacuum so you could try that. You could try taking her in the shower with you. One of my Amazons loves to sit on the shower curtain and gets the water that comes off me. Sometimes it just takes some time and patience. My first Cockatoo took years to like water, I just kept trying different things with him. A favorite in our house is actually outside in the summer with the hose believe it or not. And try different temperatures. Some of my greys love really cold water.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Harley doesn't particularly enjoy bath time either. I use a spray bottle and mist him, giving him sunflower seeds in between sprays and acting silly. He doesn't have the same reaction that your Grey does though, more just general displeasure with the situation.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Some great suggestions here already! But I want to emphasize patience (it can take days, weeks, months, years). And if they're not happy, stop. It could do more harm than good relationship-wise. If they're not accepting a bath in any way, shape, or form, I would suggest getting a tiny diffuser an placing it by the cage. Don't use any essentials oils (at least not without doing some extensive research) but just distilled water. This will at least provide enough humidity in the nearby air to help with skin and feathers. Don't leave it on all the time and introduce it very slowly (and far away, at first).

Also, one strategy I've used in the past that works with *some* birds is to use the shallow bowl of water and THEN spray the bowl (not the parrot). If they feel like taking a bath, they'll join in the fun! Another (crazier) idea I can think of (haven't tried) is to try misting yourself first and see if this gets her in the mood. But mostly, take it as slow as you can. Hope this helps and please keep us posted if you can! Good luck!

PS: you might also want to try a different bottle (smaller, different color or clear). It could be a sad coincidence that they don't like the particular bottle or color. This has happened to me before and changing bottles made a world of difference. But again, slowly.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
My birds have never been fans of the spray bottle :shrug:
So what I do for the conures is fill up a baking pan, and it fits perfectly across my sink. Then I set them on the rim, and let them splash around until their hearts content!
I also have a shower perch, and I bought a removable shower head. I'm able to get the water to the perfect temperature and just lightly catch them with water, again while singing and making silly faces. The birdies all love shower time!

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
Thank You all for all the advice, I will try some different approaches....Just to clarify, I have had Devin since she was three weeks old, she hasn't been with anyone else. She's three years old, she will be four in March.

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
I finally got her to bathe without much of a fight, I purchased a mister instead of the spray bottle I was using before.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Mine just used their water bowls. I have to change them constantly, but its the only way they will bathe.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
All of mine are different! I must have a glass dish that is low and wide and I have to put fresh cut grass or lettuce in it and fill it with water, another loves the plastic bird bath that you buy at the store and it hangs in their flight cage. Another uses his water bowl. I just let them do their thing. If I notice someone looking dirty and not bathing, I will mist a little and they get the hint as they'll run to the plastic bathtub and bath themselves as if my spray is Agent Orange or something.

I wanna fly

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie Christian
Morticus was the same way when I got him. He would run away and act like I was trying to kill him! Luckily my Amazon, Kindred, loves to be misted. I let Morty watch Kindred spread his wings, hang upside down and purr and coo all the while I bragged on Kindred. After just a few days of seeing Kindred have all the fun Morty decided that misting wasn't so bad. He doesn't carry on like Kindred does, but he sits still and takes it. My Blue and Gold still doesn't like to be misted or sprayed because she was disciplined and punished with a spray bottle. I just put a big pan of water on top of her cage and turn the vacuum cleaner on. While she is taking her bath I will mist her a little and talk to her hoping to help her overcome her fear of spray bottles.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I will mist a little and they get the hint as they'll run to the plastic bathtub and bath themselves as if my spray is Agent Orange or something.

Hilarious!

I finally got her to bathe without much of a fight, I purchased a mister instead of the spray bottle I was using before.
@MsBasscat - Good job!

@Davi I love the idea of spraying the bowl, and them going to the spray - I will have to try that one! I can't tell if my budgies are liking their baths or not, they don't run away, but they don't look like they are enjoying it either!