• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wishes people were more educated about wildlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Sooo..I got a call today from the resuce centre I used to volunteer at...they had 6 baby hedgehogs brought in, now annoyingly, what people don't know is that mother hedgehogs leave the nest to hunt for themselves during the day, so the people thought they were doing the right thing by taking them away...fair enough if you don't see her for 24hours but honestly! THEN the thing that annoyed me the most, they called a very well known respected rescue centre in London who advised them to take all of the hedgehogs away!! I'm fuming, they should know better...so now I have 5 new hand rears (one was too sick :( ), they're about 3 days old and need feeding every 2 hours. (I've organised it so Hesta can be taken up to the rehab centre on Saturday...she's doubled in size and doing well...she no longer needs me *sniff* )

DSCF1097.jpg DSCF1098.jpg DSCF1099.jpg DSCF1102.jpg

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Awww, that's too bad! :( I hope the rest do ok.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
They are so cute! That's very sad. :( What's that red stuff on their spines?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Oh my goodness, what wee little things! They remind me of baby hamsters with spikes.:hug8:

Didomum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Diana
Oh! They are cute you have your hands full. Hope they all make it. Yes the trouble with people they panic, they see the baby's on their own and think they have been abandoned but many time if you wait your see the mum coming back to them.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Isn't it the same with baby rabbits? That mum will be away and the babies will be left in their nest until mum comes back?

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
I've heard the same for deer as well. I hope the little ones make it, they are so stickin' cute. I imagine the colors on their quills was put there to tell them apart?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how sweet....the poor mama though, retu rning to her babies to find them all gone..how sad

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Awww, that's too bad! :( I hope the rest do ok.
Thank you:hug8:

They are so cute! That's very sad. :( What's that red stuff on their spines?
It's nail polish - so I can tell them apart, which ones I've fed, hw much they've eaten. It's harmless and wears off nicely :)

Oh my goodness, what wee little things! They remind me of baby hamsters with spikes.:hug8:
They are! My Mom was trying to describe them to somone earlier and that's what we came up with to :D

Oh! They are cute you have your hands full. Hope they all make it. Yes the trouble with people they panic, they see the baby's on their own and think they have been abandoned but many time if you wait your see the mum coming back to them.
Yes!I'm feeding them every couple hours day and night.its exhausting but it'll be worth it knowing they'll be free again. Exactly!

Isn't it the same with baby rabbits? That mum will be away and the babies will be left in their nest until mum comes back?
Yes it's smilar tactic, also if you take baby rabbits out of the nest they can't be handreared and can't be put back with the mother because she'll eat them.

I've heard the same for deer as well. I hope the little ones make it, they are so stickin' cute. I imagine the colors on their quills was put there to tell them apart?
Mother deers put their young out of the way of the herd so predators can't find them, you're right usually people think they've been abandoned but really the mom knows exactly where they are and it's best to leave them unless they're hurt.
Thank you, me too the poor little guys. Yes! It's nail polish so I can know who is who!

how sweet....the poor mama though, retu rning to her babies to find them all gone..how sad
I know it always upsets me thinking about it :( before Hesta, my other handrear hedghogs had lost their mothers, the first 3 to an RTA and the other one lost his family to a fox

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw so cute!

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Awww--thank you (because the little guys don't speak English, so I'm saying it for them!)

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Awe, nothing cuter than a baby hedgehog! I bred them for a few years, it is A LOT of work hand feeding them, rubbing their little bellies, giving them baby gas drops, and helping them go to the bathroom by rubbing them with warm water. Every few hours...

People are stupid. I get the most horrible calls from people who had chinchilla babies born and they are clueless...why in the world would you put two animals together to have babies if you don't know anything about their care. People are annoying!

Status
Not open for further replies.