• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wired feathers

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah he is doing it to himself, is there anyway to help him?
Whats his cage situation like? How big is it and does he have a lot of toys to stimulate his mind and keep his attention when he's in there? Even if he has a lot of toys in there but doesn't play with them or can't chip/tear them as a way to keep him engaged and busy then we can recommend some others that can help.

The most often reason for plucking tends to be boredom if that doesn't seem to be the issue than a vet check is the next step to rule out any medical issues but I understand that's not possible for you at the moment due to no vet.

LemonTheGC

Moving in
Real Name
Cristian Galvan
Whats his cage situation like? How big is it and does he have a lot of toys to stimulate his mind and keep his attention when he's in there? Even if he has a lot of toys in there but doesn't play with them or can't chip/tear them as a way to keep him engaged and busy then we can recommend some others that can help.

The most often reason for plucking tends to be boredom if that doesn't seem to be the issue than a vet check is the next step to rule out any medical issues but I understand that's not possible for you at the moment due to no vet.
His cage is pretty big and I have noticed he hasnt shredded the new toys I've gotten him. The only one he and Dixie shred is the Bird Kabab. Are there any toys you might recommend that might get his attention

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
His cage is pretty big and I have noticed he hasnt shredded the new toys I've gotten him. The only one he and Dixie shred is the Bird Kabab. Are there any toys you might recommend that might get his attention
Take a look at Lil Monsters Bird Toys. @Mizzely is the owner and she can customize and recommend which toys may interest him. I'd personally recommend Hugh Hugh

Buggy Buggy

And Solafrass Solafrass

To start with since they are soft and easy to destroy so he'll get instant satisfaction and it will keep him really interested in going back and tearing off more. All my flock of various greenies and other species have all adored Sola type toys and Hugh has been an irresistible favorite with my flock and @Pixiebeak s Greenie who never played with toys went nuts for Hugh.

Lots of times it's a process to find out exactly what types of toys are the favorites of what Bird. Hopefully if he gets some different toys this will help to keep his attention off his wings.

LemonTheGC

Moving in
Real Name
Cristian Galvan
Take a look at Lil Monsters Bird Toys. @Mizzely is the owner and she can customize and recommend which toys may interest him. I'd personally recommend Hugh Hugh

Buggy Buggy

And Solafrass Solafrass

To start with since they are soft and easy to destroy so he'll get instant satisfaction and it will keep him really interested in going back and tearing off more. All my flock of various greenies and other species have all adored Sola type toys and Hugh has been an irresistible favorite with my flock and @Pixiebeak s Greenie who never played with toys went nuts for Hugh.

Lots of times it's a process to find out exactly what types of toys are the favorites of what Bird. Hopefully if he gets some different toys this will help to keep his attention off his wings.
Thank you so much, I will definitely check these out

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much, I will definitely check these out
You're so welcome. I really hope it's a boredom issue and some new fun toys will help keep his mind off his pretty wings.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

Buggy Buggy

And Solafrass Solafrass

This is 100% true!!!!
My ten plus year old green cheek conure Ta-dah, had rarely played with or chewed anything in her whole life with me , I'd basically given up on toys . Then @April was my sweetest secret Santa! She knew what green cheeks liked and sent me "Hugh" !!!! It was mind-blowing instant success!!! Thank you forever April!!! It's soft so they get satisfaction from chomp and ripping out chunks ! I highly recommend it and many of the toys offered at lil monster!!!

Also @Sarahmoluccan was my secret Santa! And she sent a toy matt with many different textures from Things for wings , T4W, which are called " fences" Ta-dah also loved this right away!!!! Thank you so much Sarah!!!

Btw you can also join secret Santa next year!! It is so much fun !! You try and guess your Santa and it's hilarious!!! All our incredible members who participate!! You get toys that are so thoughtful and get to try new things!!

I also recommend signing up for Christmas card exchange!! Members from around the world send the most amazing fun cards !

Thanks to this forum , my Ta-dah now has toys she loves and enjoys tearing up!!! After all these years !!! My sweet birdie finally loves toys!!! And every single toy that she enjoys has come from avain avenue vendors! They are people who have parrots , get what motivates parrots !!

@Emma&pico also sent me incredible amazing toys from Seriously Nuts, another AA vendor!! She sent the coconut toy box that is filled with little foot toys and bits and baubles and crinkle paper, ta dah is fascinated rummaging
around pulling out and looking for treats in hidden in the mix!!

It's absolutely life changing fun!!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
This is 100% true!!!!
My ten plus year old green cheek conure Ta-dah, had rarely played with or chewed anything in her whole life with me , I'd basically given up on toys . Then @April was my sweetest secret Santa! She knew what green cheeks liked and sent me "Hugh" !!!! It was mind-blowing instant success!!! Thank you forever April!!! It's soft so they get satisfaction from chomp and ripping out chunks ! I highly recommend it and many of the toys offered at lil monster!!!

Also @Sarahmoluccan was my secret Santa! And she sent a toy matt with many different textures from Things for wings , T4W, which are called " fences" Ta-dah also loved this right away!!!! Thank you so much Sarah!!!

Btw you can also join secret Santa next year!! It is so much fun !! You try and guess your Santa and it's hilarious!!! All our incredible members who participate!! You get toys that are so thoughtful and get to try new things!!

I also recommend signing up for Christmas card exchange!! Members from around the world send the most amazing fun cards !

Thanks to this forum , my Ta-dah now has toys she loves and enjoys tearing up!!! After all these years !!! My sweet birdie finally loves toys!!! And every single toy that she enjoys has come from avain avenue vendors! They are people who have parrots , get what motivates parrots !!

@Emma&pico also sent me incredible amazing toys from Seriously Nuts, another AA vendor!! She sent the coconut toy box that is filled with little foot toys and bits and baubles and crinkle paper, ta dah is fascinated rummaging
around pulling out and looking for treats in hidden in the mix!!

It's absolutely life changing fun!!
The coconut is amazing I am ordering another my gcc both love it so much actually found out through this mini bangles are an absolute favourite apparently too
IMG_7845.jpeg
This from seriously nuts is another favourite too
Anything basla or sola is a massive hit

mine also love seagrass mats too

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
IMG_7849.jpeg
IMG_7848.jpeg
Another massive hit from seriously nuts

Just for some ideas
IMG_7850.jpeg IMG_7851.jpeg IMG_7852.jpeg IMG_7853.jpeg IMG_7854.jpeg
This one’s too easy for pip so ordering one with sliding door
IMG_7855.jpeg IMG_7856.jpeg IMG_7857.jpeg IMG_7858.jpeg IMG_7859.jpeg IMG_7860.jpeg IMG_7861.jpeg
These drawers are an absolute favourite with both

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It is always so inspiring to everyone's toys and set ups and enrichments!
@Emma&pico always knock it outta the park !

It is the best distraction from feather destruction behavior, to engage the mind and beak with natural behavior outlets for foraging and chomping and destroying toys instead

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Pico still went through stages of feathers plucking I do think once it’s there it’s a hard habit to break

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I would also maybe separate cages side by side see if it’s lemon or Dixie actually doing the damage