• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wings High Tuck

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Friday we went to the vet for a squinting eye. He must have scratched it and it created an ulcer under the lid. Dr. O got it all cleaned out and gave him antibiotics orally, antifungal and two eye antibiotics. She was worried it was mycobacteria? but then did an acid stain and ruled it out later that day.

Next day his eye looked perfect. I thought all was well but then noticed Sunday he didn't go down and eat his nutriberries at bedtime. Monday morning he looked awful so I packed him up and off to Dr. Orosz. He just went downhill so fast. I was so distraught...wth happened? I wasn't going to do a necropsy because we were certain it was the antibiotic / reaction with the high dose of gabapentin. But Dr. O decided to do so. He had extensive visceral gout and the antibiotic combo just tipped him over the edge and shut his kidneys down.

She believes he's had it all along and I just gimped him along. And the picking was probably from the nerve pain of the gout. Given his past troubles, I would imagine so...I hope the gabapentin truly helped him as he always picked but less so on meds.

Now while I have an answer and not the frustrating wth happened. I'm looking back at everything and wondering how we could pinpoint the issue...if I had the aviary up sooner and more sunshine would that have helped? They can see it in bloodwork in the later stages if the uric acid levels are up. I read that by the time you find out about the extensive gout, the kidneys are likely extremely compromised by then.

Diet, diet, diet...so important from the beginning of life. Bebe passed away at I think at age 2 similarly. It was just such a shock that we went from just a manageable eye infection to death in just 48 hours of antibiotics.

Posting his happy moments...

14322201_1275535972458010_959966280321236976_n.jpg

Miss Rue is trying to find her new spot and Jewel keeps looking for you. Buddy, most of the time your love triangle with Jewel was a pain in my patootie but we will all miss you. Fly high and pain free.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Poor Tuck - he must have been in a lot of discomfort. He's flying high and free without pain nor illness now. Say HI to Hank for me, Tuck.

Yes Chandra, diet is so important, but so often we get them after the damage has been done and all we can do is make their life easier and a little longer. You do a great job of that. I'm sorry.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
:sorrow: I’m so sorry for your loss.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So so sorry

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I still can't believe it. I saw you mention going to the vet for a checkup and then he was just...gone. I can't even put into words the sadness I feel for you and his love triangle.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I still can't believe it. I saw you mention going to the vet for a checkup and then he was just...gone. I can't even put into words the sadness I feel for you and his love triangle.
I wonder if that is what is the hardest for me...but I got him there, we were there before. Why couldn't I save him? And I honestly never thought about him being one to go first. I figured my brat boys would outlive all of them because they were well...brats.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no! I’m so sorry for your and your flocks loss of Tuck.:( What a shock that must have been for you to have him decline so suddenly. He had the best care once he was with you though, so I’m sure there was nothing you could have done. Fly high little Tuck.:sorrow:
:sadhug2:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wonder if that is what is the hardest for me...but I got him there, we were there before. Why couldn't I save him? And I honestly never thought about him being one to go first. I figured my brat boys would outlive all of them because they were well...brats.

It's never easy but I know from experience that it's a lot harder when it's sudden vs being able to mentally prepare that the end is near :(

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So sorry... we do try hard with diet but its not easy even for us. sure your good care helped him live out his life better.

Gosh gout/ kidneys... I'll have to find out more about this...

:sorrow:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry. You gave him a great life. Hopefully, he's off flying and playing with my Sunny. Two old guys flying free.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m so sorry Chandra :sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry for your loss of Tuck.
They fly into our hearts, and leave feather dust on our souls... forever....

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I am deeply sorry for you and your flock's loss.
Why couldn't I save him?
...sometimes, even despite our best efforts and medical intervention, it's just not meant to be...a higher authority calls our feathered friend home.

Wings Forever High, Tuck...

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They seem like little tanks, then we find out how fragile they can be. I'm sorry but sounds like nobody had a clue what was going on till he got pushed over the edge. I'm so sorry but he was safe and loved to the end and everyone did the best they could :sadhug:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Why couldn't I save him?

You couldn't save him, because there was nothing for you to be alerted by. Gout doesn't happen overnight and he had probably been building on it for quite some time. The damage was done before you got him and it couldn't be reversed - no matter how hard you tried nor the excellent care he got.

Just remember him with joy and be happy that he is not in the discomfort he had here on earth.