• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wing Issue - Advice needed

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Gosh, your poor sweet bird, I hope she’ll be okay. I’m so sorry you’re having these problems with her.

PrettyandAlex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ilya
I have started giving all the birds vegetables and fruits for almost 2 weeks most of them eat the veggies and fruits but Prettie won't! I remove all the sunflower seeds by hand every night and shred and dice all of the veggies and fruits but she won't eat and I give her DMG. What should I to make her eat healthy.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My tiels like corn (raw or microwaved), rice, pasta, broccoli, wheat grass, pieces of bell peppers.

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
A couple of suggestions you could try to help her eat healthy:

(1) First thing in the morning take out her seeds give her veggies, fruit, or whatever you are serving that day and give to her for one hour. After one hour give her back the seeds and keep doing this every morning. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but don't give up.
(2) Try various ways to offer the veggies to make it more appealing. Sometimes putting whole veggies in the cage that are skewered are more appealing than veggies in a bowl. Try making it into a chop, mash (just squish a couple veggies together and offer it to her), or try cooking the veggies or offer raw and give it to her. Sometimes birds prefer cooked over raw.

A couple of veggies or fruit you could try is green beans, peas, blueberries, and apples. Anyways, I hope these suggestions help, just keep trying and hopefully she will accept the new foods.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
A weird thing with my tiel girls. They will not eat ffrom the dish on the bottom of the cage, which is where I put healthy food. I either hold it up for them while they are on their boing, or set it on top of the cage and they climb up there and eat. If they are already on their up-high play stand I put it up there.

Yes they are spoiled.

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
so sorry for what you and prettie are going through. I would think twice about giving her to a new home. she knows you love her and she loves you. cockatiels hate change, and she is already stressed because of her wing problems. and, it sounds like you are doing as much as possible to help her, what more can another person do? I don't know how shelters for birds are by you, but the one closest to me (I'm in Wisconsin) is not very good. shelters often are overwhelmed by amount of birds they have to care for, she will probably get less attention there. I think you are a wonderful and caring person. just keep following vet instructions, it may take a while for her to eat healthy, but if offered daily, she will most likely start to like some of it. you may want to eat peas or corn by her, offer her a taste. my birds like to eat off my plate. and, I may sound nuts but this worked for me - my cockatiel, 6 mos old at the time, caught one foot in something and lost the whole nail, it bled a lot. I put her in cage, she did pick on it at first. I told her don't pick on it, it will bleed more and hurt. she did not pick on it again. it healed well.

PrettyandAlex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ilya
Prettie went to Doctor on Saturday and he removed the 3 xanthoma like build up that he said are build up of removed feathers cysts under skin. He told if they grow back which almost happened in 1 day to sterilize my hands and gently push them out. Prettie looks relieved after they got removed, I’m feeling so happy for her.

1875A307-F92D-4A6B-936A-FBD9F7B19038.jpeg 84C89AE9-1C86-4187-970F-EB339B405F1D.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Poor baby. You are doing a great job of looking after Prettie, hopefully she will get better with you giving her such good care.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, those must have been making her very uncomfortable. I’m glad you know how to take care of them now. You are really doing wonderful with her!:heart:

PrettyandAlex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ilya
I love her more than anything in my life, everyday she brings joy to my life. She brought happiness to my life and it’s my joy to give her the best and most comfortable life possible without out her I would have most likely been dead by now, these special creatures changed my life and I will do whatever it takes to give them the best life. I have survived death more than 6 times and I always never worried about myself, I always thought who would take care of my birds they are my best friends and companions.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
You are doing great with her, I don't know that I could remove feather cysts (page 1), you truly a dedicated parront. She is beautiful!

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
glad to hear prettie is doing so good. she is pretty.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Do you know any one have friends who might be able to let you stay with them? Something like a room for doing work around the house? I don't know if a church or social services would be able to help you. How is Prettie doing?

Does anybody have any suggestions to help Ilya?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope everything works out well for you and Prettie @PrettyandAlex.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
There is a church program where theyll let you spend the night, the churches rotate ... they sometimes let you bring a pet. I don’t know how to find it though, is there anyone in Houston who can track it down?

PrettyandAlex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ilya
Im in iran now. My parents divorced and lied to me saying they will provide a better life here especially my father but life sucks here people are struggling to make ends meat many addicts syringes everywhere in kid parks and play fields