• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wing Issue - Advice needed

Susannah

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Try these...hope this helps to get some vitamins and minerals into their diet.

"safe herbs include basil, thyme, cayenne, chickweed, lavender, sage, chicory, rosemary, parsley, mint, lemongrass, alfalfa, coriander, milk thistle, turmeric, ginger, chamomile and dandelion. You can offer them mixed with their veggies, or for a bit of fun hang fresh pieced with clothes pegs."

"Turmeric: a powerful healing spice

by Pauline James

Turmeric, a member of the ginger family and native to Indonesia and southern India, where it has been harvested for over 5,000 years, comes from the dried root or rhizome of the Curcuma Longa plant. This Asian spice has a peppery, warm and bitter flavour and a mild fragrance slightly reminiscent of orange and ginger. Throughout history it has been used as a food colouring, an ingredient of curry powder, a bright orangey-yellow textile dye – used for over 2,500 years to colour Hindu priests’ robes – and as a powerful healing remedy.

The Chinese have long used this spice as an antidepressant, while the Indians relied on its powerful anti-inflammatory properties, adding it to bandages or applying it as a paste to wounds to prevent infection. But, more recently this spice is becoming known in the West for its potent health benefits, and is proving to be a promising weapon against Alzheimer’s, cystic fibrosis, psoriasis, multiple sclerosis, haemorrhaging, heart disease, childhood leukaemia and prostate, breast, colon, skin and pancreatic cancers.

The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin which is not commonly allergenic and as well as containing anti-inflammatory properties, is also a natural painkiller and inhibitor of the DOX-2 enzyme responsible for inflammation and pain – helping arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, tendinitis and gout, and with no side effects. It is also an antioxidant, reducing free radicals in the body, antibacterial and antiviral, a natural liver detoxifier, and a natural antiseptic – useful for disinfecting cuts and burns, speeds up wound healing and assists in the regeneration of damaged skin. It also halts the growth of new blood vessels in tumours, serves to boost the effects of chemotherapy drug Paclitaxel and reduces its harsh side effects.

All these health benefits apply to parrots too and a cockatiel keeper once explained how turmeric saved one of his birds when it developed a cancerous tumour. It was very old and the vet was afraid to use traditional vigorous treatments, so after removing as much of the tumour as he dare, (as part of it lay close to the spine), he prescribed curcumin powder, to be applied to the bird’s back. After a few months, the bird had completely recovered with no trace of the cancer or the tumour!

Put in foods such as homemade birdy bread, turmeric acts as a natural preservative, but is an anti-coagulant too, so as a precautionary measure should be avoided when a bird is moulting or has a problem with a broken blood feather. It also helps prevent roundworm, boosts the immune system, is anti-fungal, helps alleviate nausea, aids digestion and can be a great aid to particularly young chicks suffering crop problems. Sprinkle on softfood or mix a little with live yoghurt to feed.

Turmeric root is an excellent source of iron, manganese, vitamin B6, potassium and dietary fibre and has five times more antioxidant power than vitamin E. Along with curcumin it contains many other phytochemicals, helping to regenerate liver cells, cleanse the liver of toxins, increase the production and levels of bile and two liver-supporting enzymes, glutathione-s-transferase (GST) and UDP glucuronyl transferase (UDPGT) and aids in fat metabolism."

"Virgin Coconut Oil – Improves immune function, supports the liver and kidneys, boosts the metabolism, increases absorption rate of vitamins, and offers antimicrobial properties. Coconut Oil is also a good source of Omega 3 & 6, along with antioxidants."

"Apple Cider Vinegar – Offers vitamins, minerals and trace elements. Apple Cider Vinegar also supports the immune and respiratory system, as well as having anti-bacterial properties. The usual recommendation is 2% Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water in a plastic dish."

"Bird Treat Recipe: Corny Nut Squares

© Formulated by AllNaturalPetCare.com

2 cups cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/3 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup pureed or unseasoned canned pumpkin
1/2 cup grated zucchini
1/3 cup raisins or other dehydrated fruit
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp powdered seaweed/algae
1/4 tsp Calcium Montmorillonite Clay
1/4 cup plain, active yogurt
Bird seed (optional)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp virgin coconut oil

Mix together in a bowl, adjusting cornmeal or water if required. Pour into greased 8×8 baking pan (do not use non-stick pans for birds). Sprinkle with bird seed if desired.
Bake at 350℉ for about 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cut into single serving squares. Freezes well.

"Fruity Calcium Corn Bread Treat Recipe for Birds ©
Formulated by AllNaturalPetCare.com

1 pkg Corn Bread Mix
1 tsp Human-grade Calcium Montmorillonite Clay
1 TBSP Mixed Powdered Seaweed
1/8 cup Ground Almonds
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Plain, Active Yogurt
1/4 cup Chopped Figs
1/2 cup Blueberries
1/2 cup Mashed Cranberries
1/2 cup Mashed Mango

Use the corn bread mix as your base recipe, with liquid adjustments if you find the mix to be too dry or wet.

Bake at 350F on a cookie sheet until a toothpick comes out clean (about 25 minutes).

Cut into single serving pieces. Freezes nicely.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Excellent advice @Susannah . On the second recipe, I always caution people that cornbread mix has a lot of sugar, which can lead to yeast problems. :)

Susannah

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Thank you, Tanya...I don't advise the sugar, either...here is a sugar-free recipe.

CORNBREAD MIX:

4 cups cornmeal
4 cups flour (all-purpose, whole wheat pastry flour, or half of each)
1/4 cup baking powder
2 teaspoons salt

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
It could be another cyst forming or a feather starting to form. Poor little gal. I'm glad she's doing better and you're taking care of her. Just keep a good eye on her and make sure she doesn't pick at it too much, but be prepared to take her to the vet again if it doesn'tgo down.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

PrettyandAlex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ilya
I'm trying to get an appointment. Doctor said to shower her every one day after she injured her leg which has gotten very well and there is small 1mm swelling, she can walk fine. We showered her and the small bone sticking out under skin which is usually covered by feathers has been not covered and she is picking on it, I put some ointment from first visit which was also used for her foot on it. It is called silvadene.
Was that a good idea?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm trying to get an appointment. Doctor said to shower her every one day after she injured her leg which has gotten very well and there is small 1mm swelling, she can walk fine. We showered her and the small bone sticking out under skin which is usually covered by feathers has been not covered and she is picking on it, I put some ointment from first visit which was also used for her foot on it. It is called silvadene.
Was that a good idea?
@Milo
How do I give her ginger? Remove the liquid from ginger then give like meds?
sprinkle a little on her food, they like to eat it. Or yes what you suggested would work too.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
The silvadene won’t hurt but it’s not going to help in this case. It’s an antiseptic cream and if there’s not a wound you can go ahead and skip that.

The picking is concerning because there could be nerve pain or if there’s something going on with that bone. Is the swelling on a joint?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny

That is the correct site and no, it should not be that much for her wing... meds should do it... Even the absolute worst case of amputation, a caring vet knowing you are struggling and have applied for carecredit should work with you, but $2,500 is quite a bit to spend on the care of a wing.

Please read comments from others, and be sure you are going to the vet that has most knowledge of birds (lots of solid options for avian care that are not avian certified, tho preferred)... but most important, find a vet with experience and compassion for both you and the bird. Many vets will respect you are willing to go in debt to save your tiel and will help to keep the costs down so you can save your feathered baby.

Good luck and keep us posted.
It is completely infuriating that you would suggest that a vet is obligated to subsidize care out of their own pocket because a client can't afford it. This sentiment is why there is such a high rate of burnout and suicide amongst veterinary professionals. The outrage that the general public feels for vets charging for their services, and having to turn away patients because of money. Like it or not a veterinary practice is a business. If a vet were to give free care or to lower their cost in every sad situation, they'd be out of business before you could blink. Money is the most evil part of the profession, but it is necessary and a vet SHOULD charge appropriately for their services, it not only keeps the lights on but also allows them to provide for their employees (and pay for staff that is trained to work with avian patients) and their own family.

"Keeping costs down" does NOT mean that a vet is cutting out unnecessary treatments or diagnostics, it means that there is going to be guesswork involved because tests are bypassed. Often times when this happens clients get very frustrated because they've spent x amount and the vet "didn't do anything" because their pet still has an issue.

I see this every single day. Every. Single. Day. It weighs on everyone and a lot of the time I take that guilt home with me. We are in this field because we love animals and want to help them and to make their lives better. Depending on what's going on with that wing, 2500 is not out of the question to get to the bottom of things if it's not something as simple as a feather cyst issue. It is a lot of money, but you are also paying to go to a vet who needs specialized education, equipment, and staff. I can't emphasize this point enough. I know of a practice in my home town that is $80,000 in uncollected debt from clients because they feel bad. Think about that figure. That's all people that said they were going to pay on a payment plan and then didn't follow through. That's not to say that anyone here is in that crowd, but a vet is taking a gamble every time they do that. Especially if you don't already have an established relationship with that vet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
"Keeping costs down" does NOT mean that a vet is cutting out unnecessary treatments or diagnostics, it means that there is going to be guesswork involved because tests are bypassed. Often times when this happens clients get very frustrated because they've spent x amount and the vet "didn't do anything" because their pet still has an issue
It is too bad this isn’t required reading for everyone who’s thinking of having a pet, especially a bird.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
It is completely infuriating that you would suggest that a vet is obligated to subsidize care out of their own pocket because a client can't afford it. This sentiment is why there is such a high rate of burnout and suicide amongst veterinary professionals. The outrage that the general public feels for vets charging for their services, and having to turn away patients because of money. Like it or not a veterinary practice is a business. If a vet were to give free care or to lower their cost in every sad situation, they'd be out of business before you could blink. Money is the most evil part of the profession, but it is necessary and a vet SHOULD charge appropriately for their services, it not only keeps the lights on but also allows them to provide for their employees (and pay for staff that is trained to work with avian patients) and their own family.

"Keeping costs down" does NOT mean that a vet is cutting out unnecessary treatments or diagnostics, it means that there is going to be guesswork involved because tests are bypassed. Often times when this happens clients get very frustrated because they've spent x amount and the vet "didn't do anything" because their pet still has an issue.

I see this every single day. Every. Single. Day. It weighs on everyone and a lot of the time I take that guilt home with me. We are in this field because we love animals and want to help them and to make their lives better. Depending on what's going on with that wing, 2500 is not out of the question to get to the bottom of things if it's not something as simple as a feather cyst issue. It is a lot of money, but you are also paying to go to a vet who needs specialized education, equipment, and staff. I can't emphasize this point enough. I know of a practice in my home town that is $80,000 in uncollected debt from clients because they feel bad. Think about that figure. That's all people that said they were going to pay on a payment plan and then didn't follow through. That's not to say that anyone here is in that crowd, but a vet is taking a gamble every time they do that. Especially if you don't already have an established relationship with that vet.

Wow, wake up on the wrong side of the bed...

Not sure why you picked me to direct your fury at especially a month after it was posted... but did I say a vet should take less? They should discount? They should do something for free??? Working with a client might mean something as simple as letting a client pay in 90 days.

Hope you have a better day, I did not waste my time reading your full rant. With all my years involved in rescue, every vet I've ever dealt with was happy to help a client save a beloved animal from snake to bird to horse and everything in between, and keeping costs down does not mean cutting corners or taking less, there are 'options' many times for treatment.

Hope you have a better day!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny

Wow, wake up on the wrong side of the bed...

Not sure why you picked me to direct your fury at especially a month after it was posted... but did I say a vet should take less? They should discount? They should do something for free??? Working with a client might mean something as simple as letting a client pay in 90 days.

Hope you have a better day, I did not waste my time reading your full rant. With all my years involved in rescue, every vet I've ever dealt with was happy to help a client save a beloved animal from snake to bird to horse and everything in between, and keeping costs down does not mean cutting corners or taking less, there are 'options' many times for treatment.

Hope you have a better day!
This is a topic that comes up again and again on this forum. It's not just you. I happened to be tagged in a post on this thread and so I went back to read, that's what brought me to your comment. Every post makes it seem like a vet should be expected to take payments. Yes, you will find vets that will do it, but this is results in a point that I made in my "rant". I know of a practice that allowed people to make payments and post dated checks, and that practice is out $80,000. Eighty thousand dollars. This is even with the aid of a collection company (which also costs money for their services). It's a situation that I know happens everywhere, and the situation with that practice is far from isolated. The cold hard truth is that in most of the situations where people promise to pay over time, the vets never see that money.

Vets are happy to help patients, but often times this results in a vicious cycle, and that's what I wish more people understood. A veterinary practice is a business and the big hearts that veterinary professionals have get them into trouble. They have bills to pay, and they don't get to defer the cost of the time, supplies, and staff that it takes to help someone's pet in that moment. The implication that a vet doesn't care because they can't offer some sort of payment plan is backwards and hurtful.

Also as I said before, I see this situation on a daily basis. Sometimes multiple times a day. It weighs on everyone in a practice, to have to let what we know is standard of care suffer because of something as stupid as money.