• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wing Issue - Advice needed

PrettyandAlex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ilya
Hello guys,

My female Cockatiel named Pretty(written Prettie) used plucked her wing feathers when she was alone and her best friend Fookol passed away, may he RIP.
I got her a new friend and she stopped with the plucking but the recent issue I'm having is ingrown feathers (feather cyst) she had one and I removed it with long sterile tweezers.
It regrew back and I removed it again but this time the wound was deep and my poor Prettie's bone was showing through the wound covered with a thin layer of flesh. I instantly put kwik-stop styptic powder which has benzocaine to stop the pain.

Unfortunately my family doesn't have enough money to take her to a vet and I only could take Fookol once to the vet before he passed away RIP I loved him and it took away all my the money i saved about $600, the doctor also did some tests.

What should I do about these feather cysts, how can I make them stop? Any supplements that slow down their growth?
Also does anybody know any avian vets in Texas that might be able to help her at low charge because I really would do anything to help her.

Thanks very much for reading this and any advice or help will be really appreciated!

Picture of her wing
https://i.imgur.com/GplYp7D.jpg

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Hello!

I'm so sorry you're having that problem with your Cockatiel. The photo looks awful! Poor thing! I'm in Austin, and I can tell you that there is no certified Avian Vet here, but I was told there are some in Houston - where are you located?

I wondered if you have looked into CareCredit? It's a credit card that some vets offer, but you can also get it yourself online if you qualify. I just know that they are used for medical reasons only (human or animal), and are supposedly easier to qualify for. I had to get one once when my husband needed 2 MRIs.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have used care credit. You can apply on line or call them. I am still paying the minimum payment which is $27. Per month for a time my budgie was in the hospital over the weekend. Check with your vet first to see if they take care credit. Your bird needs an avian exam and treatment. There are no short cuts. She also may be in a good amount of pain.

@Milo

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Edit to my above:

Though they may not be certified, there are a couple vets at Research Boulevard Pet & Bird Hospital in Austin that "specialize" in birds (though they're not certified). There is one guy, Dr. Paul Skellenger who their website says is "well known for his knowledge in avian and exotic medicine."

Edit again:

I looked around and found this website that lists avian vets by area in Texas:

Recommended Bird Vets in Texas, United States | Beauty of Birds

If you look at this link near the names of the vet, it mentions which are "board certified" Avian vets.

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
She absolutely needs to see a vet ASAP. It doesn't look good and she must be in a lot of pain. CareCredit is basically a health care credit card with low monthly payments and very handy especially in times like these. If a vet is unable to treat birds, they may refer you to someone who does.

PrettyandAlex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ilya
I already know a vet I went for my Fookol who passed away recently :( I'm gonna call all avian vets in Houston and other cities close to me to check which accepts CareCredit.
Thanks very much for helping me with this issue!

She is in a lot of pain, one my adult budgies is taking care of her, she regurgitates foods to Prettie as she doesn't eat enough and I have to put her on the seed holder to make her eat more!

Last edited:

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I have no idea @PrettyandAlex I doubt it would be that much but the vet will have to tell you!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about Prettie's wing. Hope you can get her to the vet and that things will be OK.

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
Saw that you live in Houston. That's great, which means there should be a variety of exotic and avian vets in Houston and surrounding areas. Good luck, and for sure let us know how everything is going.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
When you take the bird to the vet they willl tell you the options for fixing theh wing. Just ask what the financial breakdown of that is. You’re certainly not the first to have a bad (expensive) problem with your bird and a limited budget.

I had emergency surgery on a dog once that was over $4,000. The vet let me pay as I could; it took 3 years but I paid it all.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
My Ciri had feather cysts when I got her. They're nowhere near as bad as yours, but they were a sign of a poor diet. Ontop of taking your bird to the vet, give her a cuttlebone, mineral block and a more varied diet.

If you own any other birds, you should look them over for similar signs of malnutrition. I hope your bird recovers quickly.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You bird may need to be slightly anesthetized prior to exam, depending on the pain level. My prayers are with you for a good outcome.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So you are not able to apply in your name? Any one else in your support circle that would help?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You need friends with good credit! :lol:

I will do a little research. Did you ask the vet if you can do a payment plan?