• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wing clipping

sylven

Meeting neighbors
We don't toy with our birds well being.

As long as you agree to tie your legs together for as long as it will take for your bird to replace all those feathers (a good year) I say give it shot.

But since your bird has no choice to unclip his wings, if this doesn't work for you those legs still stay tied up for a year.
you are from Canada mate, it means "thinking about" in these parts ;)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I can't see a single upside that can't be fixed in other ways. I hang sheer curtains over the windows and the large mirror. The birds are confined to one room, so they won't accidentally fly out the front door.

Firmly in the No-clip camp.
I think it is a rotten thing to do to a bird.

Skipper

Real Name
Scott Schifer
You need to decide what makes sense for your situation, but clipping them so you can take them around like a dog will not work. I used to clip Gilligan to keep him from flying on the Macaw's play stand where he could be killed with one bite. It worked for a while, but then he learned to fly even with the full 5 feather cut on each wing, and since he less control, the odds of him making an emergency landing on next to the Macaw went up. So he is fully flighted again. He does not fly often, mostly when spooked. Also, I never leave the room without locking him up or taking him with me because he will come looking for me and then I have to find him.

Clipped or not, treat your bird as an escape artist. They can be gone in a flash. That is how I got Gilligan, he escaped from his previous owner and wound up in tree in front of my house. I never could find the previous owner.

Lesley Yeung

Real Name
Lesley
Since this is a request for opinions:...

Bird has his wings trimmed. He can, with effort get about 5 feet in the air. He falls softly. But not away.

We lost him when he was fully flighted and went through hell and about $1000 to get him back.

He is a very confident bird. When he can fly, he is a jerk.

This is just what works for us.

If put to a vote, I would choose for all birds to be free. (Expect for those already living in captivity because there is no other option)

Last edited:

sylven

Meeting neighbors
I can't see a single upside that can't be fixed in other ways. I hang sheer curtains over the windows and the large mirror. The birds are confined to one room, so they won't accidentally fly out the front door.

Firmly in the No-clip camp.
I think it is a rotten thing to do to a bird.
why would you do that to you're house ? point 2 (in red) she would visit my mothers ( instead of being locked in )
my mother in laws ( instead of being locked in )
sit in the garden with us ( instead of being locked in )
just jump in the car with me & the wife controlling her ( instead of being locked in )
can "glide" freely around the house when the windows are open etc ( instead of being locked in )
think she will enjoy herself more tbh, i had a vet clip my african greys wings & tbh the second time her "flights " grew back in i could practically free fly her ( which i did & she sat in a tree for 2 hrs :rofl:)

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Please walk around with your legs tied together for years and tell me if it's the same or as enjoyable as having free movement.

You are very fortunate that you got your bird back from outside. I have been looking for mine for 2 years and not a day goes by that I wish I had her here with me.

sylven

Meeting neighbors
Please walk around with your legs tied together for years and tell me if it's the same or as enjoyable as having free movement.

You are very fortunate that you got your bird back from outside. I have been looking for mine for 2 years and not a day goes by that I wish I had her here with me.
training perhaps?/ sorry mate no relevance whatsoever

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
sorry mate no relevance whatsoever,m although :(

You are taking away a bird's main mode of transportation - their wings. They get most of their cardiovascular exercise using their wings.

Our main mode of transportation is our legs. We get most of our cardiovascular exercise using our legs.

To inhibit their use of wings would be the same as inhibiting the use of our legs.

Simple fact is, many birds die from heart disease and atherosclerosis, Exercise has been shown to help prevent and reverse these conditions. So by clipping your parrot, you are denying them a huge way to combat heart disease and atherosclerosis. How is it fair to condemn your bird to that fate simply because you want to take him out into the garden untethered or uncaged?

Parrot Heart Disease Is Common. Your Vet Should Know This. - Page 2 of 2 - Parrot Shop
Avian Heart Disease – Alpine Animal Doctors, your local vet for Bright, Porepunkah, Myrtleford, Beechworth, Mt. Beauty and beyond

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
sit in the garden with us ( instead of being locked in )
You could always use a carrying cage or even a harness

just jump in the car with me & the wife controlling her ( instead of being locked in )
A bird loose in a car could potentially be dangerous if they spook and attempt to fly around. If it's you and your wife, less concern. If it's just you and bird, bigger concern.

If I'm driving, birds are in cages or carriers. If I'm a passenger, then I might have Charlie out.

can "glide" freely around the house when the windows are open etc ( instead of being locked in )
Why not put screens over the windows if they don't have them? Or decals? Or teach them not to fly into windows? (refer back to video I linked to)

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
You seem confident you already have the answers to your questions despite asking for, and getting, experienced advice but having a bird free in a car is downright dangerous and I wouldn't doubt, illegal under distracted driving laws, regardless of whether someone else is holding it. It puts the bird and humans at risk. I am not sure you are understanding the fragility of birds (in another post you talk about allowing your bird to "play" with your dog - again, exposing the bird to unnecessary risk). If you do not choose to see the danger to your bird then please recognize the danger to yourself and your passengers. Nothing bad happens...until it happens, and then it cannot be undone.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think birds, especially small birds are the most fragile of any animal companion one can have. Please keep this ever present in your mind.

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
One time, I couldn't get Fritz in his carrier and we were leaving to go to the vet. I said "screw it" and we both got in the car. Once in the car after about 15 minutes, we were on the highway when he decided getting on my chest and regurgitating violently was what he needed to do. It was terrifying and I have NEVER had him regurgitate either on or off of me. Point is, luckily we didn't die in an accident and they are birds, we have no control over what goes on in their little bird brains and what is going to scare/excite them at any moment.