• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

wing clipping do or dont??

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Why would anyone want a "BIRD" and not want/let them fly? It's like buying a car without any wheels. Clipping is nothing but human convenience, laziness and the unwillingness to provide what the bird needs.

sezii

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all so much for the information and yes I agree you should not have to make the animal fit your home you should adjust your home to what is needed for the animals to be who they were intended to be whether it's a dog cat bird fish whatever and yes having a flighted bird may make it a little tricky with training and all that but I want to do what's healthy for my bird not just for my convenience she seems to be a little stressed that she can't fly so I hope her wings grow out soon and we can see her enjoy a little more confidence

sezii

Meeting neighbors
If anyone has a good place to.look for information on helping train my sweet thing on where she shouldn't fly (high cupboards where I can easily get her ect) that would also be greatly appreciated I've only owned adult pretrained birds so the baby stages are very new and so much fun

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If anyone has a good place to.look for information on helping train my sweet thing on where she shouldn't fly (high cupboards where I can easily get her ect) that would also be greatly appreciated I've only owned adult pretrained birds so the baby stages are very new and so much fun

The easiest thing is to provide her with plenty of places she CAN fly to. Hanging spiral rope perches (aka Boings) are perfect for this. You can also block areas she shouldn't go to discourage her.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The only thing you need is "boundaries". If you don't want her to fly somewhere then you need to block access to it (because that kind of training ain't gonna work). Start "adapting" today.

Nobody knows how to ride a bike in the beginning. The only way to get better is to get on that thing and pedal. You will fall off and skin your knee.

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
Personally I believe it depends on the bird and the household. Do you live alone or with someone? If you live alone then you are the only major door open/closer in the house. Flighted birds can get shut in doors, as can non-flighted ones, but it is more common for a bird to be flying at a faster than walking pace to have a door shut on it or shut and it crashes into it because it is trying to follow you. So with that in mind if you live alone, then watch out for that. If you live with other people, are they bird people? I mean do they have the natural instinct to check and see if a bird is nearby before they open or close a door? If not, it could fly out the front door if you aren't careful. I am speaking from experience. I decided to flight train a cockatiel of mine a while ago. Note it is a cockatiel. A small bird which are notorious for being flighty. Someone opened the door and something else simultaneously happened that spooked the bird and away he flew. So that leads me to what type of bird you have. From you profile picture it looks like a conure. If that is the bird you are referring to then I would test the bird. Now as strange and startling as this may sound, stand a couple feet away from you bird and drop a pile of books or some pots and pans. If the loud noise scared him then you know he is alive. jk. If he flew away then I would advise towards considering wing clipping. It only takes one careless friend who came over and opened a door to loose your bird. Now yes, you can recall train you bird, but this doesn't just happen over night. You will have to be extremely mindful of your bird. Not only doors, but also fans, stove tops, anything inedible to a bird, ect. Don't get me wrong. Not clipping your birds wings is great. You bird is able to get exercise in that way, which is the easiest way on both you and your bird. I currently only have clipped birds. Now, I will say they are all clipped at varying extremities. Some are clipped more than others. My tiel is fully clipped fully because I know she always flies into windows and onto high places where dangers to bird items are. My parrotlets are clipped on their tameness. My less tame ones are more clipped than my more tame ones because I know that I can easily get them if something happened. Now, my doves and goffin too came to me clipped so I didn't get a say in them. When their wings grow out I will probably not clip them because hey aren't flighty. Yes doves are prey animals but mine are dense as rocks. If they were out in the wild they would die instantly. Something would swop down and pick them off and they would probably not even struggle. White ring neck doves are extremely domesticated. Especially mine. My cockatoo on the other hand is a large bird. Not technically, he is medium, but he has a large bird mentality. If something he finds threatening or startling happens near to him, he turns to face it, not to fly away. If you feel confident in you ability to keep your bird safe and whoever else in your life is aware of the things they need to watch out for then definitely! Don't clip! Just be aware of the responsibilities that come with a fully flighted bird. Maybe you could consider clipping a little. That way he cant fly at 100% but still can fly. I clipped my two most tame parrotlets mildly just so they cant fly at full parrotlet speed in case I needed to apprehend one mid flight due to some danger. They can still fly up, just not as well as non clipped wings. Just something to think about.

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
Also to address the whole control thing, don't be pushy with your bird if its wings are fully clipped. Its a 50-50 trade off. Let them say no sometimes. Do a reset. Ask to step up. If they say no, walk away for a moment, and then ask again. If its still a no, then let the bird be. My tiel is just as happy not flighted as flighted. She has been both and she is much safer in my household environment with clipped wings.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Start "adapting" today.
Agree! :)

And you will also make mistakes and learn from them in the beginning.
The most important thing is to make it safe. Windows should be part covered, and from now on, open windows is a No No.

The easiest thing is to provide her with plenty of places she CAN fly to.
Yes! :)
Make several fun places for her to be. But remember that you have a parrot that can fly now, and you will soon find out that she will find your shoulder where ever you are.
So forget privacy! That doesn't exist anymore. :D
Don't tell anyone, but I love to take a shower with mine every day. ♥
The feeling knowing that they want to be with you when they could have been somewhere else (because they can fly wherever they want) is making every poop, messy wet
food everywhere and cage cleaning worth it. That is my best argument for not ever again clip their wings!

she seems to be a little stressed that she can't fly so I hope her wings grow out soon and we can see her enjoy a little more confidence
She is a light weighted parrot and if you are lucky, with some training she can fly shorter distances. So start training her today. :)

Why would anyone want a "BIRD" and not want/let them fly?
I always say that they should get a hamster instead. But for some reason they always find that rude.. :p

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

I always say that they should get a hamster instead. But for some reason they always find that rude.. :p

Rude to the hamster maybe ;) they need good care too!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Clipping is something that should be considered for your bird and your family. I believe it's a very personal decision. I would rather see a bird in a wonderful home, clipped, than placed in rescue waiting for the perfect home that will allow him/her to fly.

With that being said...I have a bird room and I do encourage mine to fly except for Lola who is ill and having seizures. Her clip was a necessary one based on her medical issues and she is wild. Can't have her freaking out and flying/flopping around during a seizure.

I have also done a very light clip when Giggie was super speeding around the room and crashing into corners. Just two flight feathers which slowed her down. Haven't clipped since.

Aggressive birds...I will have them clipped if they cannot refrain from harming another bird. Although I have one who received a clip and then started plucking until they grew back out. Room divider...

Just depends on the situation...flight is better for them, health-wise (mentally/physically) but shouldn't make/break them having a decent home they wouldn't otherwise have...

Known Space

Meeting neighbors
High places are great. I can't find any play stand high enough for my little parrotlet. You just need to recall train your bird. Or check the thread I made where I described how I taught my parrotlet to fly to her cage on command.

Personally I believe it depends on the bird and the household. Do you live alone or with someone? If you live alone then you are the only major door open/closer in the house. Flighted birds can get shut in doors, as can non-flighted ones, but it is more common for a bird to be flying at a faster than walking pace to have a door shut on it or shut and it crashes into it because it is trying to follow you. So with that in mind if you live alone, then watch out for that. If you live with other people, are they bird people? I mean do they have the natural instinct to check and see if a bird is nearby before they open or close a door?
If you live in a household where your family poses a potential threat to your bird, you shouldn't get a bird.

Just because someone wants a bird doesn't mean they are powerless over their impulse to aquire it. If someone cannot provide a bird all that it needs to live a happy, healthy, stress-free life, then they shouldn't get a bird. None of us are entitled to own a bird. It's not a right. And if for any reason, we cannot provide what they need, we shouldn't modify them to make it easier on us. We should start looking for another pet that does suit our lifestyle.

We make the choice to take them home. So we are responsible for their wellbeing and health. We do not transfer that responsibility over to the bird itself.

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Not to hijack this thread, but Java is figuring out he can fly. He's thirteen years old and wasn't allowed to fledge, over the last two months, he's been practicing, albeit very ungracefully. I'm always looking for ways to keep the room safe for him. You can PM me if you want just so this thread doesn't turn into a how-to. :)
That is cool. I wonder how he will do. If you have questions just start another thread and tag me in it. You can PM also but others might enjoy the conversation and have suggestions too.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Well as I said, everyone has on opinion on this. I do not have predatory pets in my home as I personally don't think cats and dogs belong in a home with birds, clipped or not. I also have never lost a bird through anything but a long life. My cockatiel was 24 years and my lovebird was 19 years when they died. Because my birds are clipped, they are out of their cage whenever I am home. I spend alot of time in the kitchen and my birds are there with me on their playgyms. We interact, they get lots of opportunities for enjoying a piece of this or that. I do not have teflon or other non stick pans. I would rather spend time with my birds, interacting with them as we go through our day. I put alot of effort into a great diet, mental stimulation, enrichment opportunities, clean environment and regular vet visits. I take them out with me to art fairs and that type of outing. They would get alot less out of cage time if I had to supervise every last thing they did as free flying birds.

Human error can be attributed to countless accidents with birds or anything else. You cannot watch everyone and everything all the time. I do not have children in the home but those who do know you can remind them 1000X to do something but they frequently forget.

Also done with this.
Wow, that's kind of sad that you don't think that someone should have a cat or a dog just because they have birds. I think that humans who have birds are also likely to have either a cat or a dog or both. I know that I have both and when I first added birds to my life 15 years ago, I had four cats. All of my birds are flighted and have been flighted for as long as we have had them. I have two male Galahs who are crazy and who will dive bomb you and bite if left flighted and I have trimmed their wings, but decided it wasn't worth the effort. The only other bird we have that we are considering clipping at this time is one of our BFAs because she's territorial and flies after the dog and other birds. Every now and then, a clip keeps her focused but it breaks my heart because she loves to fly and her wings are beautiful. I can't have her going after my dog or my other birds though and a clip every now and then will take her down a notch or two. Everyone else is flighted and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't think clipping makes them safer by any stretch of the imagination. It makes them easier to handle for us for sure. In the 15 years I've had birds, I've never lost one to anything mentioned in this thread.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Wow, that's kind of sad that you don't think that someone should have a cat or a dog just because they have birds. I think that humans who have birds are also likely to have either a cat or a dog or both. I know that I have both and when I first added birds to my life 15 years ago, I had four cats. All of my birds are flighted and have been flighted for as long as we have had them. I have two male Galahs who are crazy and who will dive bomb you and bite if left flighted and I have trimmed their wings, but decided it wasn't worth the effort. The only other bird we have that we are considering clipping at this time is one of our BFAs because she's territorial and flies after the dog and other birds. Every now and then, a clip keeps her focused but it breaks my heart because she loves to fly and her wings are beautiful. I can't have her going after my dog or my other birds though and a clip every now and then will take her down a notch or two. Everyone else is flighted and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't think clipping makes them safer by any stretch of the imagination. It makes them easier to handle for us for sure. In the 15 years I've had birds, I've never lost one to anything mentioned in this thread.
Oooh, I obviously didn't read that one. Yep, four dogs at my house...birdroom, screen door and wooden door. Wonder who would foster all those that have come through or are here already fostering.

Last edited:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I now have 12 birds. None are clipped. Several came to me clipped, one of which I'm waiting for his flight feathers to grow out so that I can help him figure out what his wings are for.

We also have 3 German Shepherds. While I can't have them out of their cage all the time for safety reasons, we do provide them with good chunks of time where they can.

We have a gated and curtained large room that keeps them separated from the dogs while out. It works extremely well for us!. We are also very fortunate to now have an aviary for additional flight time.

Aviana

Strolling the yard
My new guy was clipped (really clipped!). The rescue folks recommend that I keep him clipped, but I do not think I will. His balance is not good right now, and I suspect it will improve when his flight feathers regrow. So far he has only regrown one. I supervise birdie activity when he is out, as I did when my lovebird was out. She was a great flyer, had great balance, and was a happy bird. I am hoping he will be happier and less anxious when he can fly. Even if I have problems with going back to the cage, there is always the Nutriberry option. ;-) He will crawl over broken glass for a Nutriberry.

I agree that clipping is a choice, but I have never felt it was a good choice for me.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
there is always the Nutriberry option. ;-) He will crawl over broken glass for a Nutriberry.
That is exactly how I easily get an entire flock of cheeks to go to bed for the night...new bowls of water, pellets and nutriberries. :lol:

sezii

Meeting neighbors
I've been reading alot of these replies that mention a partial clip and was trying to research but I can't seem to find any helpful info on how to do it or what the benefits(if any) and the downfalls to it I think a half clip would fit our house perfect as I unfortunately can't make a bird room but can bird proof where she will be allowed to be for the most part and she is never out of her cage unless I'm in the room with her and she is usually no less than 5 ft from me (mostly her choice) so I think a partial clip might be a good fit but I do prefer no clip if I can

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I've been reading alot of these replies that mention a partial clip and was trying to research but I can't seem to find any helpful info on how to do it or what the benefits(if any) and the downfalls to it I think a half clip would fit our house perfect as I unfortunately can't make a bird room but can bird proof where she will be allowed to be for the most part and she is never out of her cage unless I'm in the room with her and she is usually no less than 5 ft from me (mostly her choice) so I think a partial clip might be a good fit but I do prefer no clip if I can

A partial clip is when they trim a smaller number of the flight feathers.

With a proper wing clip, only the 10 primaries are clipped.

Partial, or "show", clips typically trim primaries 1-8, leaving the outermost primary flight feathers on display. Pippin had a show clip for one molting period years ago, and I personally found it pointless. Even fully clipped birds can flutter short distances, and having the two additional outside feathers provided him with even more lift that completely negated having the clip in the first place. Yes, it did somewhat impede his flight - less so than with a full clip - but only insofar as it made him a slower, clumsier flyer. He was still able to fly through doorways and around the house.

I wouldn't recommend it, personally.