• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

wing clipping do or dont??

sezii

Meeting neighbors
So I'm not sure on the wing clipping. My baby seems to want to fly and it seems to stress her out that she can't (got her from the pet store preclipped) there isn't much I can do about it right now but when they grow back do I clip them again or just let her fly. Looking to hear any opinions or experiences!!!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Fly! Benefits include more confidence, healthier (less risk of heart disease and obesity), physiologically healthier. Plus when your bird flies to you to be with you, you know they want to be with you!

Clipped birds are no safer than flighted. A clipped bird can still escape, and once they do, they are less likely to make it back home.

Known Space

Meeting neighbors
So I'm not sure on the wing clipping. My baby seems to want to fly and it seems to stress her out that she can't (got her from the pet store preclipped) there isn't much I can do about it right now but when they grow back do I clip them again or just let her fly. Looking to hear any opinions or experiences!!!!!
Clipped birds have better immune systems on average and are less prone to stress. They are also cognitively less strongly developed than flighted birds. I can try to see if I can find the studies where I read this, but to my knowledge this has been empirically studied.

Were flighted birds to get out, they're more likely to escape danger or find their way back or be picked up by someone too. Overall it's the safest and healthiest choice.

I'm so sorry they clipped your bird before you got her. There haven't been studies on this, however a lot of anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that if a bird has been clipped in its formative years, it will never develop flight skills the way never clipped bird have. However, there are still things you can do to prepare your little friend for flight:

Just keep in mind that you have to get your bird accustomed to windows and mirrors too. I've covered my windows and mirrors up when I got my parrotlet. And I gradually, uncovered them day by day. And I let her tap the windows and mirrors to let her know they're solid. At this point, she will just not fly into them. She knows what they are and I even station her on a perch that is sunctioned to the window on command. Birds can learn these things just fine.

A lot of people try to turn this into an issue that just comes down to choice and that there's no right or wrong way. But the evidence seems to be overwhelmingly there. Yes, it is a choice, but it's a bad one. If people can't choose between a ceiling fan or a parrot, I don't think they're willing to make the necessary sacrifices for their parrot. So the way I see it, if you do not feel like you can accomodate a parrot; if you feel like you have to physically adapt a parrot so it can accomodate you, I don't think that parrots or other birds are the right pet for you.

But yeah. I hope the video has been helpful. Flock-Talk's a decent Youtuber for practical information.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Please don't re-clip her when her flights come in again.

When I got my budgie, he was clipped. And I didn't know better than to have him clipped again after that. He got hurt a lot when he was clipped, constantly crashing into things. One night he flew into a wall and fell, the ER vet told us we were lucky he didn't die.

I've let his wings grow out, he didn't really know how to fly so I had to teach him. The amount of confidence he has since he's been able to fly is amazing, and he's much happier. Flying lets a bird get great exercise, it improves mental health vastly.

Honestly, if I had known how much flying would improve his life, I would have never clipped him. In my opinion, you should only clip a bird if it's for the bird's own safety, or the safety of others and all other alternatives have been exhausted.

So the way I see it, if you do not feel like you can accomodate a parrot; if you feel like you have to physically adapt a parrot so it can accomodate you, I don't think that parrots or other birds are the right pet for you.
Well said.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
This is one of those things that everyone has an opinion. You can wait until the birds wing feathers grow out and see if a flighted bird is a good fit in your house. Having the bird flighted increases the chances of accidents. Flying into mirrors, windows, fans, open toilets, boiling water, hot stove, predator pets in the house, having bird poop all over, possiblilty of getting stepped on, flying out open doors. I won't disagree that being flighted would give the bird more excersize, a sense of being a bird by flying. But you have to decide if the risks are worth it. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have caged pet parrots. I have a canary and a finch that fly but they always stay in the bird room, but the parrots are clipped.

I had a cockatiel that was flighted. He flew into a decorative mobile on the patio, got his leg caught in the nylon string holding it together. I discovered him on the floor, blood all over after he practically chewed his leg off trying to free himself. Fortunately he recovered but that was it. And I was home at the time.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Clipped birds can also be stepped on, attacked by predators, escape a house, poop all over, etc. Put the toilet seat down, keep birds out of the kitchen.

I have lost birds in flying accidents, and my mother in law has lost birds in the same way as me while hers were clipped.

Seeing the difference in my clipped birds vs letting them fly? Night and day. Even being divebombed has not been enough persuasion for me to clip.

A ship is safety in the harbor, but that's not what it was built for.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Having the bird flighted increases the chances of accidents. Flying into mirrors, windows, fans, open toilets, boiling water, hot stove, predator pets in the house, having bird poop all over, possiblilty of getting stepped on, flying out open doors. I won't disagree that being flighted would give the bird more excersize, a sense of being a bird by flying. But you have to decide if the risks are worth it. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have caged pet parrots. I have a canary and a finch that fly but they always stay in the bird room, but the parrots are clipped.

I had a cockatiel that was flighted. He flew into a decorative mobile on the patio, got his leg caught in the nylon string holding it together. I discovered him on the floor, blood all over after he practically chewed his leg off trying to free himself. Fortunately he recovered but that was it. And I was home at the time.
Aren't those all things that routinely happen to non-flighted birds? I may just be dense, but how does being clipped prevent a predatory pet from getting a bird? My clipped birds were all clipped to make them easier to catch and need me to help them get off the floor.

A lot of the issues you mentioned could be avoided by birds with the ability to gain altitude and get out of dodge fast, which clipping is designed to stop a bird from doing, right?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I will say, even though I am pro flight, I am aware that there are times when it is necessary for human or bird safety to clip them. I however think that the environment should be altered whenever possible before the bird is.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I agree with what Shawna and Garet have said, accidents can still very much happen with a clipped bird. At least being flighted gives them a chance to get out of the situation. I would actually think being clipped would make it more likely a bird could be hurt by a predator (being unable to get away vs. being able to fly away from the predator).

As I mentioned earlier, my budgie got hurt lots when he was clipped, at one point we made 3 trips to the ER in 2 weeks. Since he's been flighted, we haven't had any issues. He hasn't been hurt at all. He's done some scary adventures to the basement, but that's on me for not being diligent. And that still happened even when he was clipped.

I'm rambling but I guess what I'm trying to say is that clipping doesn't mean your bird will be safe. Shawna basically said what I wanted to-
I will say, even though I am pro flight, I am aware that there are times when it is necessary for human or bird safety to clip them. I however think that the environment should be altered whenever possible before the bird is.

Known Space

Meeting neighbors
This'll be my last response in this thread because I know how these things go. But this post is full of falsehoods.

You can wait until the birds wing feathers grow out and see if a flighted bird is a good fit in your house.
It's not about the owner, it's about the bird. It used to be the norm to have parrots tethered by their leg. We don't go around saying "It's up to you to decide whether an untethered parrot is the right fit for you".

Having the bird flighted increases the chances of accidents.
No.

Flying into mirrors, windows
Only an untrained bird.

If you can't choose between a bird or a fan, birds are not for you. There are also alternatives to bladed fans.

open toilets, boiling water
Human error and irrelevant: these are problems whether your bird is clipped or unclipped. No household with parrots should ever have birds uncaged when there are uncovered bodies of water. This goes for both clipped and unclipped birds. Clipped birds can fall into them as well. Only difference is, an unclipped bird has the strength to possibly fly out.

hot stove
Human error and once again irrelevant: You should never leave ANY bird out when a stove is on. This is irresponsible under any circumstance.

predator pets in the house
Predators and parrots should never be allowed to interact. Clipped or unclipped. Only difference is, an unclipped parrot can still escape up high. A clipped one can't. There is no logical reason to think that when you inhibit a bird's movement, it becomes better at predator evasion. Their instinct when there is a predator is to literally fly; not to call for their human to pick them up.

having bird poop all over
That... just doesn't happen?

possiblilty of getting stepped on
Stepping on birds happens when they are on the floor. Flying happens in the air. A clipped bird spends more time on the floor because it can't fly. I think it reasonably follows that birds are more likely to be stepped on when they can't generate lift.

flying out open doors.
Doors can and should be closed under all circumstances, whether a bird is clipped or not.

I'm sorry that this happened. But this isn't because your cockatiel was flighted, but because you were careless. It should have never had access to your patio. Unclipped or clipped.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most of my birds' worst injuries happened because their wings were clipped. When my cockatiel was a baby, his wings were clipped and he used to smash into everything and hurt himself terribly by trying to fly and being unable to. My WCP was clipped by her breeder when I got her, and she gets hurt so often while trying to fly that I had to make the entire bird room soft and safe to land on. My CAG was clipped at the humane society before I adopted her, despite her having deformed feet that already hinder her ability to get around, and she is in pretty much constant danger of crashing and badly hurting herself.
My budgie, Sprite, had a terrible clip job which made her incapable even of gliding, and that made it impossible for her to escape when my cat attacked her. She was killed.

I don't really see the point of clipping a bird's wings, unless it is the absolute last resort for a special case. I will never clip any of my fids. They're safer, stronger, healthier, and happier when they can fly.

Caique-Walk

Meeting neighbors
There are pros and cons to either side. My boy Charlie is a climber so it does not really bother me that he is clipped. He can be aggressive too, so i am glad that he cannot fly at my puppy and attack him.

I find it is best to not get caught up in the hype of, it’s got to be this way or the other’ let your personal situation be the reasoning for what you do.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
Well as I said, everyone has on opinion on this. I do not have predatory pets in my home as I personally don't think cats and dogs belong in a home with birds, clipped or not. I also have never lost a bird through anything but a long life. My cockatiel was 24 years and my lovebird was 19 years when they died. Because my birds are clipped, they are out of their cage whenever I am home. I spend alot of time in the kitchen and my birds are there with me on their playgyms. We interact, they get lots of opportunities for enjoying a piece of this or that. I do not have teflon or other non stick pans. I would rather spend time with my birds, interacting with them as we go through our day. I put alot of effort into a great diet, mental stimulation, enrichment opportunities, clean environment and regular vet visits. I take them out with me to art fairs and that type of outing. They would get alot less out of cage time if I had to supervise every last thing they did as free flying birds.

Human error can be attributed to countless accidents with birds or anything else. You cannot watch everyone and everything all the time. I do not have children in the home but those who do know you can remind them 1000X to do something but they frequently forget.

Also done with this.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
To elaborate on my position on clipping; it isn't for me. That doesn't mean I think it's wrong or horrible or abusive to clip a bird, and I don't think people who do it are bad people, but it's not for me. It's a personal decision, and while I will try to steer people away from choosing to clip their birds, I respect that not everyone sees things my way.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
There are many benefits for birds to remain ot become flighted, they get more exercise, they have more mobility, no danger of falling, better lung capacity and stronger hearts and lungs. It's easier for them to burn more calories so obesity can be less of an issue.

I just think it is better, I really feel like birds, even those kept as companions should be allowed to fly. While many birds seem to adjust and cope just fine when their wings are clipped it is nonetheless an adjustment and a disability at that.

Perhaps in an extreme situation clipping a birds is beneficial in some way but I think it requires careful thought and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Most any problem that wing clipping may seem to solve could likely be solved in other ways as well. I never like to see a bird clipped for a persons convenience.

In America, wing clipping has been recommended and done for so long, keeping flighted birds is a new idea to many and they just don't know how to make it work.

In many other countries, wing clipping has never been the norm and people know how to make it work just fine. I think with some minor adjustments in the house and minor changes in the behavior of all who live there are what is needed. The other piece of the puzzle is changing they way we are taught to handle our birds.

Training becomes important. By leaving a bird flighted we are relinquishing a measure of control and we need to learn how to gain cooperation instead. It's a different mindset, one that is only truly gained through experience. We need a plan, we need a place to start and we need an new tool set.

Instead of tools like towels and clipped wings we need treats, toys, cues and set routines.

I used to be like many others, I clipped those flight feathers because I was told that it was the way to do it. I did it as an attitude adjustment, to keep them from flying up on top high places, to make them easy to control, to make my life easier and to keep them safe. I thought it was the only way.

I have learned, I have progressed, I have overcome my fears and I HAVE FOUND A BETTER WAY.

I've had some great teachers, I've put in the time, I've put in the practice and I've developed the patience.

I'VE BEEN REWARDED. I have birds that are independent, well adjusted and well behaved. They come to me when they want to but they love to play independently or with one another. They go to their cages in exchange for a treat (usually), the come when called (most of the time), they don't scream unless something is wrong they are birds in the true sense of the word. Birds with a full set of flight feathers, birds with confidence and independence.

I can see the difference and I know they can feel it. This makes it worth the time, space and effort that it costs me. The price is small and the reward is great :)

I am happy to help anyone who wants to know more about what you they might need to do to keep flighted parrots safe and happy in their homes.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are many benefits for birds to remain ot become flighted, they get more exercise, they have more mobility, no danger of falling, better lung capacity and stronger hearts and lungs. It's easier for them to burn more calories so obesity can be less of an issue.

I just think it is better, I really feel like birds, even those kept as companions should be allowed to fly. While many birds seem to adjust and cope just fine when their wings are clipped it is nonetheless an adjustment and a disability at that.

Perhaps in an extreme situation clipping a birds is beneficial in some way but I think it requires careful thought and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Most any problem that wing clipping may seem to solve could likely be solved in other ways as well. I never like to see a bird clipped for a persons convenience.

In America, wing clipping has been recommended and done for so long, keeping flighted birds is a new idea to many and they just don't know how to make it work.

In many other countries, wing clipping has never been the norm and people know how to make it work just fine. I think with some minor adjustments in the house and minor changes in the behavior of all who live there are what is needed. The other piece of the puzzle is changing they way we are taught to handle our birds.

Training becomes important. By leaving a bird flighted we are relinquishing a measure of control and we need to learn how to gain cooperation instead. It's a different mindset, one that is only truly gained through experience. We need a plan, we need a place to start and we need an new tool set.

Instead of tools like towels and clipped wings we need treats, toys, cues and set routines.

I used to be like many others, I clipped those flight feathers because I was told that it was the way to do it. I did it as an attitude adjustment, to keep them from flying up on top high places, to make them easy to control, to make my life easier and to keep them safe. I thought it was the only way.

I have learned, I have progressed, I have overcome my fears and I HAVE FOUND A BETTER WAY.

I've had some great teachers, I've put in the time, I've put in the practice and I've developed the patience.

I'VE BEEN REWARDED. I have birds that are independent, well adjusted and well behaved. They come to me when they want to but they love to play independently or with one another. They go to their cages in exchange for a treat (usually), the come when called (most of the time), they don't scream unless something is wrong they are birds in the true sense of the word. Birds with a full set of flight feathers, birds with confidence and independence.

I can see the difference and I know they can feel it. This makes it worth the time, space and effort that it costs me. The price is small and the reward is great :)

I am happy to help anyone who wants to know more about what you they might need to do to keep flighted parrots safe and happy in their homes.
Not to hijack this thread, but Java is figuring out he can fly. He's thirteen years old and wasn't allowed to fledge, over the last two months, he's been practicing, albeit very ungracefully. I'm always looking for ways to keep the room safe for him. You can PM me if you want just so this thread doesn't turn into a how-to. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I also want to say that even with untame birds and birds that don't step up, I've always been able to train them to go back to their cages! And all flighted.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So the way I see it, if you do not feel like you can accomodate a parrot; if you feel like you have to physically adapt a parrot so it can accomodate you, I don't think that parrots or other birds are the right pet for you.
Write that down in stone somewhere. That is the bottom line.