1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Window Screen Upgrade Ideas?

Discussion in 'Safety Avenue' started by EkkieLu, 5/17/19 at 1:55 PM.

1. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Tricia
    I want to open the windows now that spring has finally arrived. My crew could chew thru the current screens in seconds! Does anyone have some suggestions for something like a grate or a safe chicken wire type thing I can install between the glass and mesh screening? I want to leave the current screens there to keep bugs out, but I need to add something to keep the crew from escaping. I slid a window open for barely 5 minutes and someone chewed a hole already! So no more fresh air until I figure out what to do.

CrazyBirdChick likes this.
  2. Ripshod

Ripshod Rollerblading along the road

Linden
    I'm thinking rebuild your current screens with stainless steel rodent mesh. Would you be able to get something like that over your side of the pond?

Lady Jane likes this.
  3. Susan and Oliver

Susan and Oliver Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran Vendor

4. hrafn

hrafn Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Would rope nets work, maybe? So the fids can't get to the screen but the air can get through?

fashionfobie likes this.
  5. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Tricia
    Does that also keep gnats and mosquitoes out?

6. EkkieLu

Tricia
    Does that also keep gnats and mosquitoes out?

Ripshod likes this.
  7. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    Can you post a pic. Most I want to know how they manage to get so close to the window.

8. EkkieLu

Tricia
    They like to sit on the window sill and look out. I even had a marble sill put in for them cuz they chewed up the wooden sill.
    This is the back half of their room.
    20190206_140401.jpg
    This is their new window sill. The blinds are down in this pic but you can see part of it.
    20190511_201356.jpg

9. Ripshod

Ripshod Rollerblading along the road

Linden
    I really have to concentrate on members' locations when thinking things out. Over here we don't have mosquito or gnat problems so I assumed the screens were for your birds. Sorry :ashamed3:

10. EkkieLu

Tricia
    No worries! I'm leaving the original screen in place, but want add something to the inside of it so the babies can't escape. So I'm considering everything aside from jail bars!

Ripshod likes this.
  11. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month

Diane
    I've been wanting to do the same thing so I'm watching this thread. I really wish I could let him have fresh air when I'm not around.

EkkieLu likes this.
  12. EkkieLu

Tricia
    Me too! Looks like 3/4 inch stainless steel hardware screen is the way to go. I'm going have it cut to size at Home Depot then wrap the edges with vet tape so there's nothing sharp. Then just attach it to the inside of the existing screen. I'm not into major construction but this I can handle. Probably won't be very noticeable from the outside either. I don't want it to look like I'm running some sort of prison!

13. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month

Diane
    Cool! I can't wait to see how it turn out!

EkkieLu likes this.
  14. EkkieLu

Tricia
    I'll post some pics. I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow. Hopefully it won't look too much like an old lady threw it together! Lol!!!

Ripshod and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  15. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

laurie
    Last edited: 5/18/19 at 9:40 AM
    EkkieLu likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)