• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will two females get along?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Mercedez,

My experience with mature Parrotlets over the yrs. matches what Wilder and others are saying.

I personally don't care for the species and will never keep them again because of their aggressiveness and territoriality. Of course there are always exceptions but IME they do tend to kill each other (sooner or later), whether it is their mate or other P'Lets. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
they do tend to kill each other (sooner or later), whether it is their mate or other P'Lets.
Yep. Here's what Sandee Molenda has to say: "...only keep one pair in a cage. This is true even if in a large flight; parrotlets are very aggressive and territorial and will kill other birds, including other parrotlets if housed together."

TPR - Article - Breeding Parrotlets

Wilder

Walking the driveway
Sandee's page on breeding also goes on to state that Mexican parrotlets can be safely housed as a colony; perhaps this is the variety kept by the woman you spoke with. Cramming eight (or even four) Pacifics into a cage is just asking for trouble, even if it hasn't happened yet.

I should also note that parrotlets are one of the top species known to barber or pluck. Considering that, forcing them to live in a stressful situation doesn't seem like the greatest idea. I'd rather keep my birds alive and not plucked, personally. :p

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Yep. Here's what Sandee Molenda has to say: "...only keep one pair in a cage..........."
They sometimes still kill their mates, even if only one pair per cage, even when they can't see other P'lets. I have had it happen to me a few times over the yrs., so I just don't keep them anymore. Of course this also happens sometimes with other species but I have heard from numerous P'let keepers & breeders that it is much more frequent with P'lets than other species.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They sometimes still kill their mates, even if only one pair per cage, even when they can't see other P'lets. I have had it happen to me a few times over the yrs., so I just don't keep them anymore. Of course this also happens sometimes with other species but I have heard from numerous P'let keepers & breeders that it is much more frequent with P'lets than other species.
I'm sure it's possible with any pair. My female certainly bullies my male. But, so far, it has not been anything serious. I suppose time will tell.... I do try to watch them so that I can separate them if need be.

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
It seems to me that the females are worse than the males. I believe maybe a small group of males would get along, but tossing in a female in there would make everything complicated. Libby was a bit "asexual" because of her special needs and all her complications... she wasn't the typical parrotlet. But her and Owen got along BEAUTIFULLY... but I have to stress that Libby didn't behave like a normal parrotlet.....

Millie needed Owen, she was so shy and scared without him. But even though they got along beautifully 90% of the time, there were times where I had to take Owen out because she'd pick on him.

Then I also think of Allison's p'let with her plucking and I'm just grateful we don't have to deal with that with Millie and Owen!!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It seems to me that the females are worse than the males.
Agreed. I've noticed that owners of females (with a few exceptions) tend to report more problem behaviors: aggression, territoriality, plucking and/or barbering.

Wilder

Walking the driveway

Agreed. I've noticed that owners of females (with a few exceptions) tend to report more problem behaviors: aggression, territoriality, plucking and/or barbering.

It's things like this that make me believe parrotlets don't really make good pets and probably shouldn't be so widely bred for the pet trade. As much as I love Mira and can handle her attitude and quirks, many inexperienced people see a cute bird and thing cute = perfect and easy to handle pet. I swear parrotlets are the Chihuahuas of the bird world. :p It seems as if a lot of people do not takes them seriously for what they are -- a very large, territorial, and aggresive parrot that just happened to be shrunk into a 30 gram frame.

I can't recall how many times on various bird forums I see an excited first time bird owner posting about their new baby parrotlet, and how cute and sweet it is. Then, a week to a month later start the posts about the bird is nipping, I can't put my hand in his cage, he's chewing his feathers, he's attacking anyone that walks by. Parrotlets certainly CAN be good pets, but all the literature out there that makes them sound perfect for anyone makes me cringe.

That was all a bit off the actual topic, but does still make the point that while we see cute little birdies and think they should be as sweet as they are cute, they are not toys, but instead a complex parrot that must have THEIR needs met, rather than being forced to OUR wants.

If parrotlets were friendly with each other I'd absolutely keep a few, rather than just one. But I don't need the worry and risk of something happening if I so much as got a male for Mira, so Mira will live a happy spinsterhood. :heart:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I personally don't care for the species and will never keep them again because of their aggressiveness and territoriality. .
Awe..I understand they can be territorial, but can't imagine not having little Kiwi :)...but I would definitely not get her a cage mate.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's things like this that make me believe parrotlets don't really make good pets and probably shouldn't be so widely bred for the pet trade. As much as I love Mira and can handle her attitude and quirks, many inexperienced people see a cute bird and thing cute = perfect and easy to handle pet. I swear parrotlets are the Chihuahuas of the bird world. :p It seems as if a lot of people do not takes them seriously for what they are -- a very large, territorial, and aggresive parrot that just happened to be shrunk into a 30 gram frame.

I can't recall how many times on various bird forums I see an excited first time bird owner posting about their new baby parrotlet, and how cute and sweet it is. Then, a week to a month later start the posts about the bird is nipping, I can't put my hand in his cage, he's chewing his feathers, he's attacking anyone that walks by. Parrotlets certainly CAN be good pets, but all the literature out there that makes them sound perfect for anyone makes me cringe.
I totally agree with you. I have said it before, and I mean it: my female p'let is probably the most difficult bird I own. My RFM can give her a run for her money some days, and I have to acknowledge that my RFM has given me the worst pinch/bite that I have gotten to date, but Bella bites far more frequently and is much more high strung.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Think of it like fish Mercedez. People see fish in a store, in very small accommodations, since they won't be there long, and frankly most stores do not have enough room to have huge tanks for each species. They never or rarely become territorial while in this situation. Take them home and put them in the right size tank, and they all find their spot and sometimes fights break out. Some people seeing them in small tanks in the store think they can cram a bunch into too small a tank. Ever watched a bunch of cichlids together? Imagine, in their normal home, a huge lake, this could not be so{them trying to kill each other} It would be interesting to research how they cohabitate in nature. Are they flocking birds, or more found in small groups or single, like Hawkheads?

I hate petstores :(

Im proud to say our Beta has a 10 gallon tank and will soon be moved to a 30gallon long tank with life plants :D

Our Koi are house outside in a 400 gallon heated pond. I think its 4ftx6ft and 30-40"deep.:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Yep. Here's what Sandee Molenda has to say:
I have that book and LOVE her site.. I had the honors to talking to her a couple times via email recently :D:hug8: She is a wonderful person, and I would say out of any breeder I have seen in regard to small bird care, she has to be one of the best:highfive:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Thanks guys:hug8: I think I'll keep her singly. I dont want to crowd her cage with tons of other plets just so they get along:rolleyes: noor would I want her to hurt any of the other plets, or health and behavioral problems occur.

Im up for the challenge! If she becomes feisty and territorial.. so much the better.. reminds me of Sapphire my house sparrow (miss feisty butt!):hug8:

I just worry about Loneliness. I believe every bird should have their own species to converse with, but if its against her wellfare and the wellfare of the others, then I'm against it.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
they are not toys, but instead a complex parrot that must have THEIR needs met, rather than being forced to OUR wants.

I hope you dont think thats what Im going to do:( I would never be that selfish and do that:hug8: Im always very concerned for how happy my birds are. Which is why I was asking if she would do better with another of her own kind, or a group of friends of her own kind. I just know my 'toos do well with eachother. But she'll be a single plet if I end up keeping her(I think she already has a claim on me... lol)

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Awe..I understand they can be territorial, but can't imagine not having little Kiwi :)...but I would definitely not get her a cage mate.
Well of course lil Kiwi could be one of the possibly many exceptions or if you get her a mate one of these days, that could be an exception also. There seem to be plenty of P'lets around, so there are breeders/keepers having good breeding/cage mate experiences or there would be a shortage of the lil guys & gals. They are just not for me but I still like them and think they are cute.

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I just worry about Loneliness. I believe every bird should have their own species to converse with, but if its against her wellfare and the wellfare of the others, then I'm against it.
You know.. I think birds just benefit from being around other birds. NONE of my birds are even out of their cages together. But they all enjoy each others company in the bird room. Mia imitates the tiels and parakeets. Summer yells when Mia is up to no good. I think that as long as she has other birds to listen and talk to- she will be ok!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Yea, I made that mistake! H*ll no! DO NOT GET ANOTHER FEMALE! Cant' stress that enough. :rofl:
You could still get a male. I do believe they enjoy company of other birds still, even if they are a little feisty sometimes. It's better to start introducing her to a buddy when they are both pretty young IMO before the hormones kick in.
You asked for a video earlier in the thread, here you go.
YouTube - Angry Parrotlets
YouTube - allison 1 785.avi
You asked for it! LOL

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You could still get a male. I do believe they enjoy company of other birds still, even if they are a little feisty sometimes. It's better to start introducing her to a buddy when they are both pretty young IMO before the hormones kick in.

Thats what I was thinking.. I hate keeping birds in singles...

People say Male orange weavers, or the weaver species in general are very aggressive with other birds, but I was able to house them with my zebras and society finches and javas VERY easy, with absolutely no aggression, even when the male was weavin and when he was in full black/orange plumage.

People say male canaries will kill each other, I had a male pair and they were best of friends... They sang to eachother and would follow eachother around the room.

People say Lovebirds cannot be trusted with other species of birds, but Petrie my mom's lovie was raised with a cockatiel, Buzz, and they are BEST of friends, they say eachother's names, and chirp in eachother's language and are very human oriented and very friendly. Both are heading on 1years of age now.

I thought about just taking in a couple more plets while they are all young and perhaps they'll all get along. But for sure I wanted to get her a buddy. Her time to come out of her cage is between 6am-8pm and 6:30m-9pm, so typically 4 hours a day... she does have 2 cockatiel cage mates in which they all get along! But I think if she had a bud of her own species, it would be better...

We shall see. But I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers by getting another plet.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.