• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will two birds that are a different species bond with each other more than they bond with me?

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
Hi, I am in need of help as I have not found any articles or threads on this. So I currently want to get two birds. A pineapple Green Cheeked Conure and a lutino Cockatiel. I know that they tend to be more peaceful with each other out of most other bird species. But my question is, can I keep two different species of birds (that will probably be babies under the age of 3 months) in the same cage without them bonding with each other too much to the point where they don’t like anymore?
2171BD42-67BE-4141-9B0C-B9CD9CA5AA34.jpeg 34860564-30D5-49DC-AF17-D4F85554DF6F.jpeg

Attachments

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure, but generally, if birds bond with one of their own kind (avian) they probably won't have much use for you other than food.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This doesn't mean they won't enjoy your company, they may just enjoy each others' company a bit more. Or . . . they could hate each others' guts.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Absolutely do not house any two birds of different species together in the same cage. Ever.

I don't know where you heard that these two species are compatible, but unfortunately it would be a disaster in the making to house them together. Cockatiels are very passive and gentle birds, while GCCs are high-strung and aggressive in a fight. A simple squabble could very quickly end in tragedy just based on the sizes of their beaks.

If you must get two birds, they need to be housed separately and only let out together under close supervision.

As for bonding, it's honestly a toss-up. A bird will nearly always bond best to a fellow of their own species, but if a friendship is formed between two birds of different species, I don't think you run the risk of losing a bond with them so long as you work with them.

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
Thanks for your input! I do know how that but will it be the same with birds of different species? On some articles it says to spend more time with both of the birds to ensure that the bird looks at you as a part of their flock instead of as a “food source”

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Conures have a completely different personality than Cockatiels. Conures around other species will try to be the boss, no doubt about it. I used to have a GCC that actually was foolish enough to attack African Grey. It was a bad scene because of the size difference. GCC ended up with a hole in her sinus cavity put there because this bird went after my AG while grey was inside the cage not bothering anyone. So my advice is not to put them into a cage together. Cages really don't cost that much now.

Reactions: tka

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
@hrafn is there a bird that is of a different species that can go with a cockatiel/a green cheek conure? Also, you might be asking why I want two birds of a different species, it is because as you said, if they are two different species, the chance I lose the bond with my own birds is nearly impossible considering I spend individual time with the birds

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
@Brittany0208 Thanks for your input! I do know that but will it be the same with birds of different species? On some articles, it says to spend more time with both of the birds to ensure that the bird looks at you as a part of their flock instead of as a “food source”

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
@Lady Jane I didn't know conures were bossy and thanks for your reply! Also, I understand your perspective of getting two separate cages for the birds but I don't really have any other place to keep two cages. The current cage I have is huge and is very sufficient for an Amazon or African grey, and it is currently in my living room, If I do get another cage, the cage can only go in my room, where it will be separated from most of the social interaction in the living room. Also, my mom won't let me get another cage as they are more almost double the cost in Canada and she thinks it would look like a "jungle" at home as we also have two cats (I am 15 btw :)

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
@hrafn is there a bird that is of a different species that can go with a cockatiel/a green cheek conure? Also, you might be asking why I want two birds of a different species, it is because as you said, if they are two different species, the chance I lose the bond with my own birds is nearly impossible considering I spend individual time with the birds
Unfortunately, no. You can buy two cockatiels or two GCCs, but even then there's still every chance that the birds you get won't like one another, and being housed together could lead to confrontation and potential injury.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Lady Jane I didn't know conures were bossy and thanks for your reply! Also, I understand your perspective of getting two separate cages for the birds but I don't really have any other place to keep two cages. The current cage I have is huge and is very sufficient for an Amazon or African grey, and it is currently in my living room, If I do get another cage, the cage can only go in my room, where it will be separated from most of the social interaction in the living room. Also, my mom won't let me get another cage as they are more almost double the cost in Canada and she thinks it would look like a "jungle" at home as we also have two cats (I am 15 btw :)
Can we see a picture of the cage you have? What is the spacing between the bars? Some large cages are dangerous for small birds because of the risk of them trying to escape through too-wide bars.

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
@hrafn the bar spacing between is 3/4 inch or 0.75 inches and I am pretty sure that should be fine for cockatiels and conures and similar sized birds but tell me if I am wrong :D

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I have a bonded pair made up of two entirely different species. It happens sometimes but is NEVER something you can count on and as @hrafn said you absolutely cannot cage them together under any circumstances. No matter how close my pionus and poicephalus are, they still have frequent misunderstandings and could seriously injure each other.

Honestly, you can't even bank on two birds of the same species getting along and I'm personally against housing more than one bird in a cage at all since no matter the size it's still an enclosed space that lends itself to escalating potential conflict. But if you must keep two birds in one cage, then it is imperative they're both the same species and good friends if not mates.

That said, it is entirely possible to have birds that are bonded to each other and still seek out your attention and see you as more than just a food source. I have a good relationship with my bonded cockatiel pair and both birds in the aforementioned inter-species pair. I would recommend getting one at first and establishing a bond with them before bringing home the second. You can build a bond separately with the second bird during the 30-day quarantine process, longer if needed, and then introduce them to each other. :) I don't have any experience with green cheeks, but most of the cockatiels I've dealt with have not been picky when it comes to making friends with other cockatiels... with one exception who wanted to destroy anything that moved.

A bird who gets most of their companionship from another bird is going to be happier and more mentally stable, and with a bit of effort you can still be an important part of the equation.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
My Quaker and my Caique are bonded to one another, but they still see me as far more than a food source. Mostly, as great source of kisses, snuggles, and a soft sweater on which to rub. They still prefer each other's company, but I don't mind being a third wheel as long as they're happy.

Despite them being considered "bonded", they are not housed together - they are in separate sides of a large divided cage. The divider is only taken out when I'm home and able to monitor them.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My first cockatiel and first conure became cage buddies. Casey, my tiel was 5 months old when I got her, and 6 months old when I got Noel, a cherry headed conure. Casey was instantly infatuated with Noel, although Noel didn't like Casey at first. Casey wouldn't take no for an answer, so they eventually became friends. I got lucky. I would never recommend housing a conure and a cockatiel together, especially a conure that was close to twice the size of a cockatiel. That same conure, Noel, ended up biting the beak off of a much smaller bird that had invaded his territory. She had escaped from her cage. Needless to say, she didn't make it.

My mitred conure was actually buddies with an amazon and "bossed" around two others. Everything was fine until he decided to pick on a blind ruby macaw and got the short end of the stick. He's missing half of his lower beak and it's been that way for over 12 years now. He'll be 25 years old this year. Besides requiring beak trims, he is not treated any differently than any other bird.

Casey will be 18 this year. She has lived with Noel, lived with budgies, lived with other cockatiels, a bourke and an african ringneck. I always made sure that the species she was kept with would be fine with her. She still remains to be a sweet and friendly bird and has even helped other skittish/afraid birds to learn to trust in me. This includes an ex-breeder cockatiel that had no interest in humans.

Mzme

Moving in
Real Name
Mz
My Hahns Macaw & Jenday Conure are bonded and the best of friends, they live together and play together, I never separate them and if I take one to play with, I have to take the other. I have a great relationship with both birds and they love me as part of their flock. Like others have said, you just never know with birds if they will hate or love each other. I have a pair of bh caiques and a pair of wb caiques, my Jenday conure cannot stand the wb's and if all my birds are out together for a play he will need to be separated as he will want to take on the caiques even thought he is the baby of the group. I think its great to have 2 birds even if they are not housed together but maybe next to each other for company. I work and I don't stress as much as all my birds are paired up. They have each other to play with and entertain each other whilst I am not home. If you want just 1 bird to bond with you need a whole whole lot more time to dedicate to that bird. I have my babies out 5 hours a day and all day when its the weekend and if I am home. and I cannot give them anymore than that due to work commitments and family etc. If you want to 2 birds I think go ahead and get them but just be prepared that things do not always go as planned and have options for separate housing if they do not like each other :)

Serin

Sprinting down the street
A tame cockatiel will never not like you anymore no matter whether it's bonded to another bird or not. A conure is more sketchy, but generally if you spend lots of time with them they will still like you.

I am truly fed up being told you cannot house different birds together, that all these birds will kill each other. It's not true when you raise them together. People are speaking from the experience of imprinted single birds. Raise any birds together from 3 months and they will be friends.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Conures have a completely different personality than Cockatiels. Conures around other species will try to be the boss, no doubt about it. I used to have a GCC that actually was foolish enough to attack African Grey. It was a bad scene because of the size difference. GCC ended up with a hole in her sinus cavity put there because this bird went after my AG while grey was inside the cage not bothering anyone. So my advice is not to put them into a cage together. Cages really don't cost that much now.
Totally agree. My Plet was the constant instigator towards my Senegal. She was fearless towards other birds. They were never housed together and had to be on separate sides of the living room.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sorry to change the topic a little but can I ask why it seems to be ok to keep a new world bird with an old world bird in this scenario? Am I missing something? Is it only the Macaws that should not be kept with old world birds?