• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will they have pet quality if he gets a buddy

2parrotsmom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lisa harrison
Ok so I have a male Crimson belly an he's a great bird but I feel he is so social that he pretty much wants out of cage all day n wants my attention that he might could benefit from a birdie friend I'm thinking a ggc does anyone have any comments on this ?

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
If you can't give him all the time he needs because of having to work then if toys and Foraging opportunities is still not enough to keep him occupied while you are at work, then I feel a buddy would be great for him. They can be socialized to each other as well as to you and your family!

2parrotsmom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lisa harrison
Ok thanks for your response I'm actually a stay at home mom n thru out the day he goes with me to laundry room he has a play stand n there but it's mainly n evening times when im more busy or just to tired to let him hang with me that he will start to squawk n that's why im thinking a buddy First im thinking I will bond with new bird by hand feeding n keep em separated for at lest couple mon then let then b friends

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds generally do better with a buddy in general, and can definitely still be friends with humans :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Our gcc Pistachio was very tame but needed a friend, so we adopted another. Scott came from a less-than-ideal home and is afraid of many things, including hands. So we had our bird and he had his bird. But seeing Pistachio interact with us was good for Scott; he started getting braver and would follow Pistachio farther and farther out of the cage and would even step onto our shoulders where the two of them would hang out. It was rewarding even though only one of ours was ever really a people bird because we knew they were both getting the companionship they needed. :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Where is Chandra when you need her?
Cheekies and toys!

Yes they can very much benefit from having a buddy. On the flip side, they could possibly dislike each other but I still think there is benefit in even that. I have many pairs that are still bonded to me and interact. The thing I have noticed is that pairs are less clingy but still want to interact with you.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Cheekies and toys!

Yes they can very much benefit from having a buddy. On the flip side, they could possibly dislike each other but I still think there is benefit in even that. I have many pairs that are still bonded to me and interact. The thing I have noticed is that pairs are less clingy but still want to interact with you.
:needpics:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
8543C592-DF4A-410F-A389-1B89BF93B738.jpeg

S/he stays with the flock of nine fosters when I am not with them and then when I get home, ditches the flock to be with me for kisses.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Amada on the right has three friends but when I am home sits next to my chair. Kari is a turd and prefers men.
C4631F6E-7663-4497-8661-0D733608E900.jpeg
trio.jpg

Jewel has two boyfriends and still loves to fly over for snuggles.
jewl and zephyr.jpg

47227329-3A93-4289-85B4-58124E37CA81.jpeg

Bitty has ditched me for Maui but he was pretty flighty to begin with and Maui will visit occasionally...

bitty and mau.jpg

And my first pair...Happy and Chya

happy and chya.jpg

And there are some that are not people birds but they started out that way before they arrived. Those that like spending time with people still do.

And food/feeding is a good bonding time too.
turquoise.jpg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Amada on the right has three friends but when I am home sits next to my chair. Kari is a turd and prefers men.
View attachment 276550
View attachment 276552

Jewel has two boyfriends and still loves to fly over for snuggles.
View attachment 276557

View attachment 276551

Bitty has ditched me for Maui but he was pretty flighty to begin with and Maui will visit occasionally...

View attachment 276554

And my first pair...Happy and Chya

View attachment 276556

And there are some that are not people birds but they started out that way before they arrived. Those that like spending time with people still do.

And food/feeding is a good bonding time too.
View attachment 276555

:heart::heart::heart: You are so lucky to have so many cuties with you!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Ok thanks for your response I'm actually a stay at home mom n thru out the day he goes with me to laundry room he has a play stand n there but it's mainly n evening times when im more busy or just to tired to let him hang with me that he will start to squawk n that's why im thinking a buddy First im thinking I will bond with new bird by hand feeding n keep em separated for at lest couple mon then let then b friends
I personally would do hand feedings together. It's what I did with Chya...but Happy and Chya didn't share a cage initially.