• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will sprouts spoil in 83 degrees?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
they are spoiling in the house at 65 degrees. They don’t sprout and go bad.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Would they sprout in the fridge?
Or would it take too long to sprout?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Would they sprout in the fridge?
Or would it take too long to sprout?

Fridge is colder than the house! They like it warm, I just don’t know how warm.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I didn’t understand the question...but I get it now. :headsmack:
And I don’t know the answer....sorry

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My house is 71 in the day and 63 at night in the winter, and they sprout at those temps okay. In the summer my house might get up to 90 in the day, but cools off to 60’s at night, and that seems to work okay too. I think at 83 they will just sprouted faster, and be ready sooner. Maybe when you rinse them use cold water. I’ve started using cold water every time I rinse them because it never seemed to matter, and right now my water is ice cold.

Edit: Of course it’s very dry where I live, so if it’s very humid, that might be more of a problem.

Last edited:

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I start my sprouts in the window in my kitchen and it is cold against the glass window. Once I see little tails coming out, I have a fruit saving mesh bag and I keep the sprouts in the fridge. It will continue to sprout but a lot slower. You must continue to keep them wet even when in the fridge. They dry out faster in the cold so I really only keep them in the fridge about 3 days at the most when the slowest seeds sprouts and those are usually the beans or sunflowers. The alfalfa, clover, wheatgrass have much smaller seeds and literally sprout on my kitchen window in a day and a half.

I do soak all the seeds overnight before I rinse in the veggie mesh bag. I have yet for my sprouts go bad with the mesh bag. It happened a lot to me when I used glass jars. For some reason, it isn't enough air and it causes that slimy yucky stuff and you know it's gone bad.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
thank you so much, Deanna and Liz!! I was doubting the temperature because my chickpeas, sprouted by themselves, didn't sprout and went bad after 4 days. Maybe the batch of seeds is bad or something. I have another brand I will try. Peas sprouted just great! I have to look into this mesh bag. Where do you buy it? Also, at what stage should you rinse with acv or add acv? Thanks for the info!

@Tiel Feathers @Familyof12

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I rinse with ACV the first night when I soak them for about 8 hours. I use the easy sprouter by sproutpeople and put about 2 tsp. of ACV in with 1/4 cup of seeds. Then for two days I rinse them about four times a day and drain very well each time. The evening of that last day of rinsing, I soak them in ACV again for about 10-20 minutes. I then rinse and dry them well and put them in the fridge. The next night I start a new batch so I don’t run out. When the new batch is done, the batch in the fridge will have been eaten all up.