• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will my goffin accept me?

Evadne

Moving in
I'm going to pick her up on Saturday, I'm buying her from a couple that now has a grandbaby and they can't give her the attention she needs. We'll have a three hour car trip home, I'm buying her and it's a big investment for me. But I've already decided that if when we meet, if she doesn't want anything to do with me, to probably just not take her. I want to be excited, but, will she know or come to realize I will love her if she lets me prove it to him/her? I just don't have any experience with goffins. Thanks everyone.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
feed him/her a favorate treat maybe an almond no salt or nutriberrie (not all birds like them) some sunflower seeds millit spray

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I've had my Goffin over 30 years.
Sunny is not at all food motivated and probably would not take a foot toy to destroy either from a stranger.
I would ask the people how he behaves with them, what things he likes best.
Every bird is an individual, but many of them will not immediately want to be friends with a stranger.
You will have to prove to him that you are not a bad predator, and that takes time to build that trust.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree with Debbie, don't expect this little Goffin to like you. Parrots just don't bond with strangers that often.

An indifferent tolerance, a shy acceptance, or a spicy warning are more like what you may see. An outright interest in you would be rare.

A loving bond comes with time. It's something you must earn with parrots. It doesn't happen overnight.

Goffins are loving, comical little Toos, but they also have all the Too attitude, and you just can't predict how they'll accept your overtures.

You watch this bird interact with the owner and family. You watch her movements and attitude. If you like what you see, then go for it.

But don't expect a happy ending immediately. You'll be tearing her away from a family she loves, taking her to a new frightening place, introducing her to people she doesn't know.

Would you be jumping with joy in her situation? She won't understand you are helping her to a better life. She won't understand it's for her best interests.

You will have to understand her. You will have to give her time to acclimate herself to her new life. You will have to earn her trust. You will have to be very patient.

It's all on you.

I love my Goffin. She's such a sweet bird. I'd not give her up for the world. She does though have likes and dislikes I respect.
She likes my daughters better than me. I live with it and have my own relationship with her. It's been about 22 years now.

Make up your mind before you bring her home that what happens, happens. That this is her last move no matter what.
Give her the same respect you'd give a stranger. Be a friend to her. She'll decide if you can become more.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
But I've already decided that if when we meet, if she doesn't want anything to do with me, to probably just not take her.
if I'd gone by that theory when I adopted my Sun Conure, he would not be here. He was too busy mourning for his old mum for the first 4 months and wanted absolutely nothing to do with me. Now - he is like Velcro. Back then he would lunge and not come near.

Some people are lucky and have a bird choose them. I hope this happens for you with your Too - but don't count on it. It's never happened immediately for me. Most often you have to earn their trust first and then their affection.

See how he is with them - that may be an indication of how he will eventually be with you - if you earn his trust. Remember he will likely be sad at first in your home. My Sun Conure was. He'd lost his home and his mum and he didn't know why.

For most birds (but not all) bribery goes a long way. Go armed with some almond pieces and take things slow.

Last edited:

Evadne

Moving in
Thank you everyone for all of the great advice. Especially, when macawpower58 said "no matter what, this is her last move." Yes, that's exactly what I want her to realize. I appreciate yalls help so much. I'll prove to her that I know I'm blessed to be in her life. even if she ends up loving my daughter or Mom best, as long as she'll still be my friend I know I'm lucky. WOW you guys have really helped me out and made me think. I'll definately ask what her favorite treat and toy is . I'm calling him now :hug8:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even a person wouldn't like it if some stranger suddenly came up to them and said, "Do you like me or not? Answer right now. If you say no or you're not sure, I'm leaving." For a bird, who would understand even less of the situation and would naturally be more cautious/slow to trust, that would be especially tough. It's setting both you and the bird up for failure. I'm glad you've decided that you're just going to accept her and love her no matter what. :) I hope everything goes well!

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My goffin's was social with me right away. I never had any real problems with the transition in terms of aggression. It did take her a long while(years) to fully let her guard down and let out her full personality. I'd see little pieces of her personality start to come out and new behaviors happening up through the first 3 years or so after I got her. She was around 7 when I rehomed her.

Don't be overly disappointed if she does not seem interested. My very first amazon bit me hard on our first meeting. Once I got her home, she had one more attempt to bite and when she decided I wasn't easily intimidated, the bond started forming and was strong a month later. It did take a few weeks before I made any big attempt to pet her though. Watch how this bird behaves around the people it is bonded to. That will likely be your best indicator how it will behave with you. Just know that cockatoos in particular are complex and it may take a long while before you see her whole personality. You may also have a honey moon period where things are great initially and then she goes through a few weeks of wanting to bite you. Cockatoos are notorious for that.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The first time I met my Goffin's she bit me and drew blood. I left the store without her and told them I would think about it. It wasn't the bite that made me hesitate but did I really need another bird? I went back to the store the next day and took her home with me. I don't regret my decision. That was @27 years ago.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The way that helps some of my family when they actually offended that my pets (the parrots) do not like them right away is me telling them; "They are NOT dogs. They wont sniff your hand and accept you as a master. They're wild animals with CAUTION engraved into their bones. Baby birds being handfed tend to act shy with strangers still too. Parrots are Friends and friendship takes time to blossom."