• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will my cockatiel whistle?

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
i got a lutino cockatiel named Riley two months ago. I don't know if he's male or female, I just say he because I don't like calling him an it. I've been whistling to him everyday. But is he ever going to whistle? How long does it take for them to learn? Ether way I'll still love him. <3

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If he's a male, there's a good chance he will. If a female, probably not. Keep whistling tunes to him/her or you can play music for him/her. My tiel usually sang his own song. LOL. But one day completely surprised me - after an Irish Spring commercial was on, after hearing it only once, he whistled the tune back exactly. So they can learn pretty quickly- when they want too. LOL.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
If he's a boy, your question may very soon be "will my cockatiel ever STOP whistling the same song over and over again?" :laugh:

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
Start with a wolf whistle every time you greet him/her it's the easiest thing to pick up as all of my boys wolf whistle even in a flock of birds. None of my girls whistle.
If a boy it will just whistle one day and surprise You, may take a week or may take 3 months?

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Start with a wolf whistle every time you greet him/her it's the easiest thing to pick up as all of my boys wolf whistle even in a flock of birds. None of my girls whistle.
If a boy it will just whistle one day and surprise You, may take a week or may take 3 months?
Thank you I'll try this :p

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There are recordings of birds whistling tunes that you can play for your bird. Much better than an ordinary person could do. As said if male he will learn.

There is an entire series of these videos and more on singing cocktiels to play for your bird.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My male doesn't really whistle much. I've tried teaching him a bit, but he doesn't seem that interested. He does say some phrases every now and then, however. In his case, he seemed to get much more vocal and chatty at about four or five months old.