• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will my cockatiel like me?

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
@Kodigirl210 makes total sense! I wont see him until Wednesday, he will be 6 weeks old at that point. Think he's still young enough this will help?

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
My baby flew today twice!
Also he was quite friendly and talkative :) the visits seem to be helping!
20190417_160751.jpg
Please excuse the dirty feathers, had quite a bit of formula in his feathers today, not sure why. He's still cute as a button though!

@Zara while I was there I talked another woman out if clipping her cockatiels wings too! So thanks again for the article, it's helping more than just this little one. :bliss:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Zara while I was there I talked another woman out if clipping her cockatiels wings too!
You should tell her about this forum ;)
It´s free and jam packed full of advice, tips etc

I´m so happy for you that things are going well, nice update :)

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
My bird (I wish he/she had a name already! But haven't picked one yet) actually cuddled with me today! It was the sweetest thing. He/she got all excited to see me, came out if the cage on her own, while her siblings mostly ignored me and then she climbed up my arm to my shoulder/neck and cuddled with me! I was like shocked.

So the breeder was trying to tell me the other day that while she encourages me to visit as often as I like, the visits probably wouldn't make that big of a difference for the bird but I am here to say that they absolutely do! My bird already knows me and the bond is already starting to build. It's really awesome. Plus, he/she is flying really pretty well and he/she made no attempt to get away from me today. So the visits seriously have made a world of difference.

Another couple of weeks and I'll get to bring home home! So excited! I probably will not make any more updates until then because I don't want to bore you all to death!!! LOL

Thanks though everyone for the support :heart:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So the breeder was trying to tell me the other day that while she encourages me to visit as often as I like, the visits probably wouldn't make that big of a difference
:facepalm:

Even if the it wasn´t helping your bond with the bird (which it clearly is) but it would help the bird be more social. Just by a new person spending time with the bird helps. Don´t let her discourage you.

I probably will not make any more updates until then because I don't want to bore you all to death!!
Update us all you like, I will read them and not be bored, I´m sure others would too :)

Have you any names in mind?

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Another couple of weeks and I'll get to bring home home! So excited! I probably will not make any more updates until then because I don't want to bore you all to death!!! LOL

:hilarious: You needn't worry about boring anyone - we're here for the birds! The more updates the better.
Congrats!! Very excited for you and your new baby!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad you’re making progress with your new baby! Visiting absolutely helps to strengthen your bond. If you can bring a friend with you that would be good too. I think baby birds should be exposed to as many new places and experiences as they can so they become well adjusted and social birds.

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
Thanks all! Well I obviously enjoy sharing pics so I suppose you talked me into it :D
I get to see him/her again Wednesday. I'm sure I'll have some fun stuff to share at that point.

Have you any names in mind?
We are tossing around names that can be used for either sex since we don't know for sure and probably wont for a while. So far we have come up with;

Whiskey
Airendi
Kaleo
Fluffles
and Pandora

But we are still open to more suggestions if anyone wants to leave any!!! :heart:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I almost called Aldora, Pandora. I would say it is more of a girls name...

Very wise to go for unisex names. I named all mine unisex, apart from Aldora :)

Very unusual. Where does this name come from?

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
I almost called Aldora, Pandora.
Aldora is a super cute name, I like that :heart:
And I agree, Pandora does sound a bit feminine. I probably would have thrown it out already but I just really like it LOL

Very unusual. Where does this name come from?
So I am a writer and Airendi is actually the name of a character in a novel I'm still in the process of working on. So yes, you wouldn't have heard it before because I made it up :p

I like names that are unusual or different. I also like sort of exotic sounding names, but for a cockatiel, I feel like the name should be somewhat playful because their personalities tend to be more silly and sweet and less stoic and proper. That's why I threw "Airendi" into the mix because I feel like that name captures both the exotic quality as well as sounding playful.

But the kids are less thrilled with that name than I am so we may decide as a family to go with a different one. Although it is MY bird at the end of the day, and not their bird, so we shall see. :smuggrin:

The kids named our dog Tycus after a video game character so if left solely to them the bird would probably end up named Thor or Optimus Prime or something LOL :hilarious:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So I am a writer and Airendi is actually the name of a character in a novel I'm still in the process of working on. So yes, you wouldn't have heard it before because I made it up
That´s cool! :D

I like names that are unusual or different.
Me too :)
I tried to avoid the common names when I named all mine. Sydney is the most common of all my birds names.

The kids named our dog Tycus after a video game character so if left solely to them the bird would probably end up named Thor or Optimus Prime or something LOL :hilarious:
:coffeescreen:
Well, there is the compromise. They got to name the dog so you get to name the bird.
If they moan and want to be included, draw a name out of the hat.(If you feel strongly over one name, then just fake it ;) )

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
Pictures of the baby! He/she did great with both of my boys today.

20190426_162828.jpg
We went later in the day than I normally do and I think he/she was winding down. Was really chill.
20190426_164000.jpg
20190426_211224.jpg

Last edited:

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
He or she is beautiful! I love her cheeks! Maybe the pastel cheek mutation :)

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
@Tara81 I think so! Kind of amazing actually he/she looks to be a cinnamon, pearl, pied with the pastel cheeks too. Will be interesting to see what he looks like after the first molt.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great pictures. Nice to see the kids doing well with the bird :)