• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will I ever have another bird?

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
This thread reminds me of when I used to work at a cat shelter. Occasionally, someone would walk in, and just sort of stand there, looking around at all the cats - cats sleeping in corners, on the desks, curled up in office chairs, tucked in the book shelves, and kittens playing on the floor. A couple of minutes later, the person would tear up, and walk out the door.

I've always hoped they were able to adopt another cat later.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Like others have already said, I think that if you got another bird you would not compare that bird to Sunny because they will be different birds. I can also see you getting another tiel because it seems like you really enjoy some of their characteristics.:heart: I don't think you should feel guilty about getting another bird because it's not like you are replacing Sunny, it's just that you are giving another bird a nice home. It's hard to believe it's been six months since Sunny passed, and it seems like it would be so hard to not hear little chirps or flock calls when you come home.:( I think that you should take your time, but keep your eyes, ears, and heart open for another special someone.:hug8:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
And I'm owned by a :feedpigeons:flock of tiels, just in case you were wondering. ;)

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I also "see" you with another tiel. Of course it will never replace Sunny. When I lost my Sunny - a yellow/gray pied - I was heartbroken. And I had another tiel at home - that I still have (Buddy) who was very bonded to him. I knew I wanted another tiel...and Buddy needed a friend. I just could not look at a pied similar to my Sunny. I ended up bringing home 2 tiels - a gray and a lutino. I never expected a new bird to replace one that I lost. Their personalities are all so different...and I enjoy them all!

Maybe try fostering another tiel? Also you are not limited to having only one bird or type of bird. :) You were such a good mom to Sunny...and you truly enjoyed having a bird - so evident in all your posts...I think the fact that you are thinking about getting another bird means your heart is healing.:hug8:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Michelle, some day there will be another :heart: bird for just you. he or she will jump into your heart and there will be no way on this earth that you can not love it. whether it's a tiel or another type of bird it's going to be there. After I lost Rocky, I thought there would be another to take his place, some day. Sweet Pea is now the :heart:bird, I see so much Rocky in her. she can feisty as much as he ever was, she can be stubborn and 5 seconds later she cuddled into my neck and playing with ear piece of my glasses. just like he use to do.
I think that the time that it takes, is what it takes, your heart has to heal from the pain. let the time happen, and if there is another one out there, they find you.:coolparrot:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have said this to you before and you know what a good bird Mom you are and all the love inside of you just waiting to be bestowed on a bird. Sunny will always be part of you just like Chipper is part of me now. I really don't think you will be comparing birds no matter what species you get. Try to think of it like this - there are many needy birds waiting for a loving home and you are a needy bird person waiting for a bird. The two will come together in 2017!

Birds

White Capped Pionus

Love Birds

Cockatiel babies for rehoming

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks all. I appreciate all of your kind words and encouragement. I guess maybe also because I never chose Sunny- he literally was just at my house one day- the thought of "choosing" a bird is overwhelming to me. I was just extremely fortunate that Sunny was the perfect bird for me. I guess maybe his former owner knew something that we didn't..... All the birds I see are cute and all need good homes. @Lady Jane , everyone of those birds you posted, is just adorable. I hope that somehow, some day, I'll just know....... Until then, I'll enjoy reading about all of your birds. :)

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
If your heart is drawn to tiles, adopt another little tiel. You will be surprised that he or she will be their own little tiel. Take your time and don't feel guilty for waiting. Just know that perhaps you are meant to wait for a reason. If I lost my babies, I would adopt again... Although I haven't lost my little Hachi, I did loose little Pea the foster I had gotten very attached to. I didn't want to foster for a bit after that....somebirdie will find you when you are ready. :hug8:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I hope you get another bird.
There a bird out there that needs you.