• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wilhelmina

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
I had no idea that it took so long for tarantulas to get to full size. I would have thought 2 years of age they would be full size!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I had no idea that it took so long for tarantulas to get to full size. I would have thought 2 years of age they would be full size!
Me, too. :pinksmile: I am fascinated by little things that look like their full-sized counterparts; miniatures, certain plants and animals and even children with grown up mannerisms.

Do you happen to have any pictures of your dear Wilhelmina, @hrafn? And I am very curious about her pill bottle, too. She sounds like your own Thumbelina. :xflove:
20180714_234701.jpg

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Really sad. I do respect spiders & there purpose. I never knew they took more than 2 years to mature.

She sounded like a dear itsy bitsy spider & I am really sorry she did not make it to adulthood.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
How did you come by the name Wilhelmina? Years ago I worked with a woman named Kim because when she started dating a colleg boy, he said to her the very first time they were introduced the following. After she said my name is Wilhelmina he replied to her no your name is Kim, I'm not going to date a Wilhelminaso you will be called Kim and that's exactly what he called her from that point on! Believe it or not they got married and have been so for 40+ years. To this day she goes by Kim.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
oh my gosh, so cute and tiny!!!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How did you come by the name Wilhelmina? Years ago I worked with a woman named Kim because when she started dating a colleg boy, he said to her the very first time they were introduced the following. After she said my name is Wilhelmina he replied to her no your name is Kim, I'm not going to date a Wilhelminaso you will be called Kim and that's exactly what he called her from that point on! Believe it or not they got married and have been so for 40+ years. To this day she goes by Kim.
I'm glad it worked out well for her, but that story makes me sad. That was so mean of him. I don't think my name is particularly awesome, but to have it discounted out of hand like that would hurt my feelings. Would he not have grown to love her name as we've all grown to love the"warts" of our other halves? :(
She was so tiny and perfect. :heart2: And to think it took two years is astounding. You must have had to take care tending to such a fragile being! :wideyed: And is that fluffy white bit her web? What on earth could something so delicate have caught in the wild? :blink:

Her home was only the size of a quarter but she could have turned cartwheels in it! Thank you for sharing her with us. :yes:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
@BirdManDan, I've always just loved the name. Ive always wanted tarantulas named Wynifred, Wilhelmina, Martha, Wendy, Dorothy and Betty. I think they're cute.
Your friend's hubby sounds like a dillhole though, that was so rude.

@faislaq, at her littlest she was eating wingless fruit flies, and they were still bigger than her. :D
She was just on her way to being big enough to kill her own teensy weensy crickets. She was very determined, she was spinning webs like nobody's business.

I think it was the heatwave that got her. I was working hard to keep her humidity up, but everyone's water has been evaporating insanely fast. Slings can't handle dryness, and dessicate. I'm so heartbroken. I worked so hard and loved her so much.
I don't know if I'll be brave enough to try raising tarantulas from anything smaller than 1/2 inch after losing Mina. She was so so delicate.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Try a bigger baby or a home where you can control the atmosphere better. Maybe the pill jar was just too small???

Cool...Don't give up though as you gave her your best. Not all of them grow to adulthood in the wild either so she had more than many...

:sadhug2:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I am so sorry for your loss. :(

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So sorry to hear of Wilhelmina's passing. :sorrow:
My son has a very large tarantula, and now I'm beginning to wonder just how old he is based upon how tiny your little one was at the age of 2. Had no idea that they could live such a long time.

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so sorry for your loss

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry to hear of Wilhelmina's passing. :sorrow:
My son has a very large tarantula, and now I'm beginning to wonder just how old he is based upon how tiny your little one was at the age of 2. Had no idea that they could live such a long time.
Often the larger the tarantula, the slower they grow. Mina probably would have reached full size around 10 years old, then lived another 20+ years as a female. Males of her species only live to around 10, as male tarantulas die shortly after reaching maturity. Poor boys!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Wow!!!! Amazing...
Almost would like one for my plumeria patio as there are crickets but the small lizards have taken care of that..

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am so sorry for your loss. I had no idea it took that long for them to grow. I hope you find peace with her passing. :( :hug8:

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
@BirdManDan, I've always just loved the name. Ive always wanted tarantulas named Wynifred, Wilhelmina, Martha, Wendy, Dorothy and Betty. I think they're cute.
Your friend's hubby sounds like a dillhole though, that was so rude.

@faislaq, at her littlest she was eating wingless fruit flies, and they were still bigger than her. :D
She was just on her way to being big enough to kill her own teensy weensy crickets. She was very determined, she was spinning webs like nobody's business.

I think it was the heatwave that got her. I was working hard to keep her humidity up, but everyone's water has been evaporating insanely fast. Slings can't handle dryness, and dessicate. I'm so heartbroken. I worked so hard and loved her so much.
I don't know if I'll be brave enough to try raising tarantulas from anything smaller than 1/2 inch after losing Mina. She was so so delicate.

I can't believe she went along with it!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.