• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild-caught mealy amazon

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I truly believe birds don't hate. They bite for a reason- fear, hormones, or it is a way of getting a reaction. I believe that my goffin started biting my fiancé because he wanted his attention. It didn't matter that it was "bad" attention, it was still attention. Usually with Amazons, from what I understand, when you see the eye pinning, it can be a warning. And it's always best to avoid the bite if you can. Just be patient with him. I don't believe any bird is "mean". They just need to be understood.

Nino

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nino
I truly believe birds don't hate. They bite for a reason- fear, hormones, or it is a way of getting a reaction. I believe that my goffin started biting my fiancé because he wanted his attention. It didn't matter that it was "bad" attention, it was still attention. Usually with Amazons, from what I understand, when you see the eye pinning, it can be a warning. And it's always best to avoid the bite if you can. Just be patient with him. I don't believe any bird is "mean". They just need to be understood.
I read that eye-pinning means excitement, so it's not necessarily a bad thing if they do that, right? Or have I been reading my parrot wrong all along? :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I read that eye-pinning means excitement, so it's not necessarily a bad thing if they do that, right? Or have I been reading my parrot wrong all along? :(
I am not an Amazon expert but my understanding is that it can be both?

@Hankmacaw ?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Never had Amazons, but with macaws pinning can be both an indication of pleasure or an expression of anger.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I read eye-pinning as the bird being stimulated or feeling some kind of (strong) emotion i.e. the opposite of calm. You need to look for other cues to be able to tell if the bird is simulated because it's happy, annoyed, angry, curious, anticipating a treat or anything else.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Amazons are the champions of eye pinning parrots.
I get mine to do it because it's so cool. :)

Many Amazons pin and dilate in excitement.
Watch that level though. Small excitement is good, fun and entertaining.
Too much excitement for an Amazon can mean a frenzied shark attack is coming.
And small can jump to too much in a heart beat.
They just can't help themselves.
They are a Maserati in a VW bug body, going from 0 to faster than light, in a split second.

Amazons also love drama. BIG LOUD DRAMA.
It sounds like your Zon already has you guys running in circles for entertainment. :p

Luckily most Amazons give fair warnings before getting into overboard status.
Pinning eyes, fluffed head feathers, fanned tail, swaying......means calm that bird down.

I love these feisty, sassy green birds. Can you tell? :heart:
Life's a blast with an Amazon around.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Amazons are the champions of eye pinning parrots.
I get mine to do it because it's so cool. :)

Many Amazons pin and dilate in excitement.
Watch that level though. Small excitement is good, fun and entertaining.
Too much excitement for an Amazon can mean a frenzied shark attack is coming.
And small can jump to too much in a heart beat.
They just can't help themselves.
They are a Maserati in a VW bug body, going from 0 to faster than light, in a split second.

Amazons also love drama. BIG LOUD DRAMA.
It sounds like your Zon already has you guys running in circles for entertainment. :p

Luckily most Amazons give fair warnings before getting into overboard status.
Pinning eyes, fluffed head feathers, fanned tail, swaying......means calm that bird down.

I love these feisty, sassy green birds. Can you tell? :heart:
Life's a blast with an Amazon around.
Sing it sistah.... oh how true! Henry.... full blown nasty ...0-3 seconds. Mack Truck pissoffedness at a full roar. Just. ... leave the room.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Welcome Nino! That is truly a gorgeous bird you have there. I’m sorry you are having some issues.
AA is a great place full of very knowledgeable, passionate bird lovers. Sometimes that passion may seem like “condescension” to a newcomer. Please don’t take it that way.
I dont think it was ment as such, most of us are always worried about the birds first, owner later!
You get the best of us, and sometimes the worst of us! But most of us mean well ;-) as does Lady Jane, i believe :heart:
This is the heart of it- everyone here loves birds, and always wants what is best for them. @Lincee is a compassionate person whom I’ve always seen treat people with kindness. @Lady Jane as well- she’s always one of the 1st to respond to help. I haven’t been here very long, and already I’ve seen this forum help a lot of people! I’ve also seen them come together in a time of crisis and pull off the impossible.
I’m only stating this, as I think AA can be a great place for you, as you don’t have access to a vet, etc.. I can tell you for sure, whenever you post about an issue you’re having, you will get responses with useful info! (As you already have ;) )
Please stick around, I think it’ll be a big help to you and your bird!:welave:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I have stated it before, but if you’re on this forum seeking help at least we know you have your bird’s health at heart.

That said, i am indeed very compassionate, towards both animals and humans (though i prefer animals) but compassion sometimes also means not sugarcoating things :)

If no Avian Vet can be found, seek a good normal Vet. If no normal Vet can be found, become a self tought healer.
Truely.. with the internet i believe anyone can be what he/she wants if they want it badly enough :heart:

@Nino you have came here seeking for help. We have (albeit maybe a bit too passionatly) urged you to seek a good vet. If thats not possible for whatever reason, then you need to become your own vet :)

We WILL always help you, you can be the meanest, most cold hearted person in this forum.. If your bird needs help you can be assured we will help! THATS how compassionate we are when it comes to birds ;-)

I have an Orange Winged Amazon.. When she screams the whole neighbourhood jumps. That said, she will only scream during normal times.. early morning, nightfall and when she thinks something is not okay :)

I have seen Luka do the eyepinning thing whenever she gets excited, i have not seen her do it when she is angry, but OWA’s are amongst the more mellow amazons. She is quite traumatized so i learned to let her be on her oen for the most part. Lately, having an African Grey parrot she is comming out of her shell like stepping up without fear, doing parrotty things.. but it took me more then 3 years! So patience is required. A LOT of patience. And even when you have A LOT of patience, A LOT MORE patience is needed.

In the end, a few years down the road, we will all laugh about this thread and you will tell us how right we are, and how much both you and your bird have grown :heart:

I am sure of this.

I hope i have made you feel less attacked and more welcome. :heart:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have stated it before, but if you’re on this forum seeking help at least we know you have your bird’s health at heart.

That said, i am indeed very compassionate, towards both animals and humans (though i prefer animals) but compassion sometimes also means not sugarcoating things :)

If no Avian Vet can be found, seek a good normal Vet. If no normal Vet can be found, become a self tought healer.
Truely.. with the internet i believe anyone can be what he/she wants if they want it badly enough :heart:

@Nino you have came here seeking for help. We have (albeit maybe a bit too passionatly) urged you to seek a good vet. If thats not possible for whatever reason, then you need to become your own vet :)

We WILL always help you, you can be the meanest, most cold hearted person in this forum.. If your bird needs help you can be assured we will help! THATS how compassionate we are when it comes to birds ;-)

I have an Orange Winged Amazon.. When she screams the whole neighbourhood jumps. That said, she will only scream during normal times.. early morning, nightfall and when she thinks something is not okay :)

I have seen Luka do the eyepinning thing whenever she gets excited, i have not seen her do it when she is angry, but OWA’s are amongst the more mellow amazons. She is quite traumatized so i learned to let her be on her oen for the most part. Lately, having an African Grey parrot she is comming out of her shell like stepping up without fear, doing parrotty things.. but it took me more then 3 years! So patience is required. A LOT of patience. And even when you have A LOT of patience, A LOT MORE patience is needed.

In the end, a few years down the road, we will all laugh about this thread and you will tell us how right we are, and how much both you and your bird have grown :heart:

I am sure of this.

I hope i have made you feel less attacked and more welcome. :heart:
Buddy's a Mexican red-headed zon & Macawpower said it very well. Buddy yells more in the evening but sometimes just for waking Mom & Dad up, because he's bored. I hope you have a ton of energy. People ask what's it like owning a bird. My response is.... Like having a 3 year old doing cocaine! :lol:Then I say, ok it's not that bad but.... he's either on the go or he's resting. What do you do when the fid rests w/ 1 eye open????? Just breathe! ;)

There's a great article here about body language, maybe some of it will help you too! It really helped me.

Parrot Love: Reading Bird Body Language - Hari

I lost all my links as our tablet had an issue a bit back.

This one looks pretty complete too, I skimmed thru it...

31 Parrot Body Language Signs: Reading & Interpretation Guide