• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild Amazon Flock

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very loud squawking outside so I went out to look and there were a few groups of wild Amazons flying overhead. The first group was very large. Must of been at least 30-40, second group probably about 10 and last group only about 5 or so. Wished I had my camera ready.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Oh how neat! :wideyed: I'm trying to imagine that many amazons. (Or what that sounds like! ) I hope you can get a shot of them sometime.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yeah!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Very loud squawking outside so I went out to look and there were a few groups of wild Amazons flying overhead. The first group was very large. Must of been at least 30-40, second group probably about 10 and last group only about 5 or so. Wished I had my camera ready.
Darn! Could you tell what species?

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
That awesome. When I lived in San Diego we had huge flocks of crows, 100’s. They would come into my neighborhood at least once a week and fly from tree to tree. Some would do acrobatics in the air. Playing and dive bombing eachother. It was a site to watch.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Darn! Could you tell what species?
No. I wasn't able to do that. Haven't heard or seen them for a while so was surprised when I heard the squawking. No time to grab binoculars or camera to get a better look. Even had my long telephoto on the camera since I tried to get photos of the lunar eclipse yesterday.

I know that there are wild flocks of Lilac Crowns so maybe that's what they were.

That awesome. When I lived in San Diego we had huge flicks of crows, 100’s. They would come into my neighborhood at least once a week and fly from tree to tree. Some would do acrobatics in the air. Playing and dive bombing eachother. It was a site to watch.
That would be fun to watch.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
There is a mall in Bonita (San Diego) where at the end of the day they'd flock too. I don't know if they still do but as of 2 years ago they did. I was pretty awesome at dusk watching 100's of crows flying across the sunsetting sky to get back to where they nest. But when they would come into my neighborhood boy was it LOUD. Sometimes they would get harasses but other birds and hawks. We have several nest of hawks on my neighborhood too.

Tiffanylvega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
Where I live at, I see this on a weekly basis. I also see wild toucans!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That would be awesome! I've seen similar one time when I was in belem, brazil 5 weeks for company I worked with. Was absolutely awesome to see so many parrots in one place at one time. It just made me speechless!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Cool!

Have not seen any in a while but there was some small parrots who used to squawk when they flew by me but have not seen them in years.

Went to my NP llast week & we talk birds as she has chickens & I warned her about the chicken virus. She said a large flock of birds was out her way toward the foothills, Sunland Burbank etc. I thought Amazons as they have been flocks of them around...

You should have been in Australia. Moms house is 2 blocks from a huge flock of white cockatoo corella's they have that bare eye. In the day they hand out by the park & around 5 or 6 pm hundreds of them fly over head to the tree which gets covered in white it looks like snow...

OOOH, don;t know if I mentioned it but a few blocks from my moms house I saw 2 rosy cockatoos...galahs on the telephone wires!!!

WOW...

Then at the post office I read a notice of bird lost a block away from Moms. It was a now I'm not sure but maybe a Amazon & his name was Harley...I looked around for him but no luck.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, I'd be speechless too if I saw a flock of wild amazons! That has to be really super cool! Ever since reading the book Telegraph Hill and seeing the movie, I've been wanting to go there and do photography of wild parrots. I think I would die from excitiment lol!