1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why the caged bird does not sing.

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by JLcribber, 8/10/19.

1. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
  2. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Thank John!:sad4: Good read. Sad. But good.

JLcribber likes this.
  3. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Heartbreaking

JLcribber likes this.
  4. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Biking along the boulevard JOLLY-PATROLLY Super Moderator Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Sadie
    My heart hurts so bad for these poor souls. :sad5:

cassiesdad and JLcribber like this.
  5. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Ripping up the road Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    In a perfect world, humans would not feel the need to put birds in cages...unfortunately, this is far from a perfect world. :(

This article shows us the results of what happens when we do such asinine things...:sad1:

6. Zara

Zara Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara
    Humans are the worlds garbage

BirdGuy21, JLcribber and Leih like this.
  7. Leih

Leih Rollerblading along the road

Leih Pearson
    We're parasites :depressed:

JLcribber likes this.
  8. Leih

Leih Pearson
    I have been a vocal non supporter of the zoo for years. Their conservation efforts are nice, but I still hate it. Tigers don't belong in North America any more than rhinos do! And Sea World, ugh.

JLcribber and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  9. Zara

Zara Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara
    I support some, others no.
    For example, Chester Zoo in the UK yes I support them, they´re great. Loro Parque Tenerife, No way do I support them!

Mizzely, hrafn and Leih like this.
  10. Leih

Leih Pearson
    Good point, they don't all suck. I just assume they do until proven otherwise.

JLcribber, CrazyBirdChick and Zara like this.
  11. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    I was just reading a woman's post on FB about her Amazon who turns into a screaming mess when on her shoulder at evening. I wrote something like this: You can tame a bird but you will never remove the wildness from their genes. This is a concept so often not understood by the average person when considering a bird as a so called pet. Prime example is this article.

In captivity, a parrot's bond with humans is a double-edged sword.

12. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John

The link doesn't work.

13. Zara

Zara

It was a quote from about half way down the article you posted ;)

JLcribber likes this.
  14. JLcribber

John

D'oH!!!!

Clueless likes this.
  15. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Ripping up the road Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    ...you could say that....so it is our responsibility to try to improve the world...and you start to do that by educating as many people as possible....and I know some people who will refuse to be enlightened...they are the true d**kweeds of the world...

16. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    John its not a link. I copied the sentence from the article you posted and underlined it. Sorry

JLcribber likes this.
  17. Cat The Great

Cat The Great Walking the driveway

Caitlyn
    Thank you for the article @JLcribber. It was sad, but very a vital truth of today's norms. We believe that we know what is best for the bird, but the truth is we that we are still learning and in the end we cannot duplicate the life they have in the wild.

Hjarta5, cassiesdad and JLcribber like this.
  18. BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21 Rollerblading along the road

Jake
    Unfortunately we see this everyday in our small rescue here in Pittsburgh. These amazingly intelligent and socially complex animals do not belong in captivity for these very reasons. We try very hard to educate the community and applicants of these facts and to "weed out" the less committed. Breaks my heart.

19. Hjarta5

Hjarta5 Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting!

Jennifer
    Unfortunately, I agree :sorrow:

cassiesdad, JLcribber and Leih like this.
  20. Princessbella

Princessbella Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

Theresa
    This article broke my heart. Unfortunately, for a lot of birds, a cage is all they know. Bella wouldn't survive in the wild. If I hadn't of gotten her, she would have been sold to someone else. At least I know she gets a lot of love, toys, medical care, and out of the cage time. Even when she is out she likes to be on top of her cage because all of her toys are there. But I also know that some birds aren't that lucky.

Hankmacaw, Ripshod, Zara and 2 others like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)