• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why is my cockatiel acting out?

RobMenace1995

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roberto
i've had my cockatiel for a month now. I feed him, love him, play with him for several hours a day, everyday. He's really a sweetheart. Recently, he's been a little clingy. When I put him in his cage after hours of playtime, he starts doing these high squawks and dances in front of the cage door. I know he wants to be let out but he is out of his cage for 5+ hours a day. All he wants to do is sit on my arm, leg or shoulder and grinds his beak when he's on me.

I usually ignore his cries and don't let him out until he stops crying. His cage is next to my working station where I do homework or just watch tv. He is 3 months old by the way.
Why is he acting Like this?
I love him to bits but I'm just confused on why he's acting like this.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
He is lonesome.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He just wants to be with you, his beloved flock member, always. It might help to have some sort of a schedule when he knows when it's time to come out. You can also try to get him to stay on a playstand that is near you while he is out. Put toys and treats on it, and start out with short lengths of time, and slowly work up to longer periods.

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
Yes he just wants to be outside the cage hanging out with you.
It could be he wants to sit with you, getting into things, shredding paper, pooping, exploring, just doing whatever as long as it's outside the cage hanging out with you.
If i'm eating or drinking something, he'll definitely need to get a close look for himself and see what its all about.

If you give him enough things to do in his cage this could help you.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Buddy is usually out with us, but her cage is in the bedroom. In some ways, it helps, because it forces her to entertain herself when she can't be with us or on us. Toys are important, and having a view helps, too. If you're in the room though, your fid is going to want out.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Cockatiels are emotionally needy. They form strong bonds, and it's really stressful for them to be apart from their mate or flock. Phoenix was the same - he would scream and pace if he could see me but not be physically on me. It was torturous to both of us. My solution was to get him a buddy and move them to another room where they can explore and fly and hang out without the stress of being alone AND without annoying the crap out of me. I got lucky that everything worked out in the end.

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
He is acting perfectly normal and wants attention and companionship 24 hours a day 7 days a week. He is young and alone and will not learn to play on his own for a long time (if ever). Birds need lots of stimulation and are very active most of the day. Watch the birds in your garden they never stop foraging, looking for danger, finding or fighting over a mate then imagine a bird like a parrot who is very intelligent Sat staring at the same 4 walls through cage bars all day until you the light of his life his mate and family member walk in the room. You can't blame him for going nuts for attention while your there.
As for a solution, I would suggest the whole family gets involved with him and you keep him somewhere busy like the living room and he may calm down with all the extra attention and stimulation. Or a friend for him around the same age but only if you are committed to looking after 2 birds if 1 is already a headache?