• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why is my baby so freaking chill?

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
As the thread title playfully hints at, our new caique, M&M, is super duper chill. She plays with toys occasionally in her cage, but for the most part is happy just climbing and watching people or TV. When she's out she's super gentle and sweet, but mostly just loves cuddling or getting scratched. As far as we can tell from the month and a half that we've known her, this is just her personality. It does seem weird for a caique though, no? Will she get more playful with age? Not that it really matters, we love her regardless, but it's just curious.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
JoJo wbc at 3 and 4 months was just like you describe. The fun started when I got him a playmate, Chickie wbc when he was 5 months old and she ws 4 months old. His playful personality came out and they just love each other!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
My understanding of caiques is that they can be super chill! I do understand that at around 3-5 they do hit a hormonal stage? I absolutely adore caiques. I've been following everyone and researching them for a year (okay two) now. I can't have one yet or ever. But I'm very happy for the both of you so much!! I love seeing photos from all the caique owners and your stories. Please post more!!!:hug8: I adore my birds but they certainly do not surf, or sing in the shower, or lay on their backs and let you play with their feets! I love their feets!! Whey are they so adorable? :faint:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Totally agreed! We would never mind pictures;)

CristineK

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristine
I have only had our kooki since Saturday, she is 6 months old but she is very similar to what you are describing... very chilled. She doesn't care too much when I try to pet her though...maybe because she is still trying to get used to her new surroundings. She is however getting more noisy, not really screaming, just happy whistles...a few a little high pitched ones but not too bad.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Make some videos please! I am still considering my first official parrot to be a BHC.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks! I will be following your experience very closely. I REALLY want a BHC, but not sure I am up to the challenge yet. Would be great to see and hear about your experiences as you progress with your new buddy. I am still in the foster/experimental phase of parronting. Lada is a REALLY REALLY bad example of what life with a parrot is like. She is silent 99.8% of the day, hardly makes any mess, she is not mischievous, etc. Its almost like keeping a stuffed animal haha. Dont get me wrong, I love her beyond belief, but she is not exactly preparing me for life with a Caique (or any other parrot for that matter) haha.

CristineK

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristine
@Atomiklan its funny because I read so much about them before I decided to get her and she is nothing like what I read lol. Could be because she is so new or maybe she still misses her old home. She seems to be happy though, I think I would know if she wasn't. at least I hope I would know. She is eating/drinking fine, she comes to us when we ask her to step up. When she is on the top play area of her cage she does fly to the floor, but she mostly just hops around and then goes back to her cage...which I have to assist her because she can't climb from the legs of the cage. She does swing around on her toys, will pick up foot toys and usually carry to the edge of the cage and drops it on the floor... I think she is trying to play with us, we get it for her and she repeats it lol, She is a cutie for sure. With my Conure, he was a snuggler, loved to cuddle. The closer he was to me the happier he was. I do miss that, hopefully she will warm up to me more and eventually like to snuggle too.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah I have no doubt you will see lots of changes. She is still settling in at this point. At least give it a few weeks. Lada took a good 4+ weeks to get used to her new home. She is still adjusting in some ways. In addition, I'm sure you realize you will see changes as Kookie matures too. I have heard Caiques are more snuggly when they are young so you may just have to encourage it.

CristineK

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristine
yes, I am prepared for the those phases :) She already has my heart, so I am sure she will take advantage of that lol

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Because that is the period when they are training you... It might be that she is just settling in and will get more lively as she gets older.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Its the honeymoon period lol

Shes watching and learning........watching and learning......

CristineK

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristine
:giggle: She just let my husband know she was not ok with him putting her back in her cage lol

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Babies are very cuddly and sweet. It won't last long!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My caique will play with toys, but he would much rather be around his human.