• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why is my 5 month old cockatiel 61 grams

Lemonpeke

Moving in
Hi! I was wondering if anybody would know why my cockatiel who is now about 5 months old (4.8 technically) is only 61 grams when the average is supposed to be way higher, I've weighed him multiple times and it always came out the same and the scale isn't broken. He was the smallest of his siblings but I don't think he's underweight and seems perfectly healthy, why does he weigh so little? His diet is mixed with seeds, the Zupreem Fruitblend Pellets, and veggies and sometimes fruit. Is he going to grow?
He seems to have almost started a molt but nothing else happened after it, just one day a bunch of feathers were at the bottom of his cage and none more ever came, he's not plucking. Does anybody know anything about these things? Here he is,
1688260842179.png 1688260905318.png 1688260916656.png 1688260925766.png

Attachments

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm, that’s pretty low for even a young tiel.
My green cheek was 64g at 5-6 months but now at closer to 3 years old, he’s 78g.

I see your babies feet are a bit deformed? Maybe he’s physically just tiny?

Do you know how to feel his keel bone and surrounding area to see if his weight is appropriate?

Lemonpeke

Moving in
Hmm, that’s pretty low for even a young tiel.
My green cheek was 64g at 5-6 months but now at closer to 3 years old, he’s 78g.

I see your babies feet are a bit deformed? Maybe he’s physically just tiny?

Do you know how to feel his keel bone and surrounding area to see if his weight is appropriate?
I never realized his feet were deformed
His keel bone seems normal and I don't think he is underweight or overweight. Maybe he could just be a tiny bird? I'm concerned if he could possibly end up have health problems that I don't know about because of his tiny size

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Have you calibrated the scales? Just because you weighed your bird three times and each was the same number, doesn't mean it is correct.

If he was the smallest of the clutch, that could explain why he is smaller. Perhaps he will grow in the future, but use the keel bone to check he doesn't end up underweight and monitor him as he transitions to adulthood.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He could just be small. All my cockatiels are/were only in the 70s. Healthy but smaller. An annual vet check is a good idea for all birds but he looks bright eyed and happy.

Lemonpeke

Moving in
Have you calibrated the scales? Just because you weighed your bird three times and each was the same number, doesn't mean it is correct.

If he was the smallest of the clutch, that could explain why he is smaller. Perhaps he will grow in the future, but use the keel bone to check he doesn't end up underweight and monitor him as he transitions to adulthood.
Yes I tested the scale with a coin and it wasn’t broken unless it’s somehow another factor idk abt

His keel bone is perfectly fine right now but I will make sure to check it and him throughout him growing to make sure he stays fine