• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

why is Kato (BSL) not dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wezl

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Carla Rae
I'm reading all the feeding rules and diets and I don't get it. Kato hated any type of nectar or specific "lory diet". We're talking 15 years ago, I know, but we spent a lot of money back then trying to give her the perfect diet.

She hates mealworms. I tried to get her to eat them, but she thought I was nuts. I was told that lories had to have them, LOL! No biggie, the lizard gets them.
Soaked parrot pellets are her staple diet. Right now, she's getting the Zupreem large parrot Fruitblend because that's what we buy for Oliver, but I used Kaytee for years. So she gets her fresh soaked pellets in the morning, and then I give her more fresh through out the day. We tried her on Quiko Lory (?) when she was a baby, but she hated it too. So she's never been on nectar. She eats everything we eat. If we want her to try something, we give her a dish, but we better be trying it too. She'll eat some fruits, but not in big amounts. She doesn't eat anything hard unless it's something she can dunk and get smooshy. I don't even know if she could eat dry, hard stuff. She loves hamburger, spaghetti, pizza, my chicken burrito stuff, honey nut cheerios (OK that's my cereal of choice, so she gets it, too) Sometimes, she'll eat cooked veggies, like in soup, but mostly, she'll just throw them on the floor and lick up the juice. If we're eating, and it's something she wants, she gets a small dish. If she doesn't like it, she won't eat it.
About the people food, it's usually the evening meal and it's a small dish, or something she can hold in her foot. She'll scream for more if she wants it. Depends on what it is if she gets more. She'll scream for chips and crackers. We don't eat much junk food ourselves, so it isn't a regular thing for her. She'll get a bit of chip or a fry but never anything with chocolate, of course. We also don't salt anything.

She's 16 years old, and has never had to go to the vet because she's sick. She's never had a cold, even. She's never plucked her feathers. She's never had reproductive issues. I hope it's because she has good genes, so her siblings are out there just as healthy. But I also know she has no clue that she's a bird. And we've never really treated her like one.
The only thing, it's normal, I guess, is her being all hormonal. Bonded with my ex, hated me. She seems like she may be growing out of it. She seems to like me now, but I've noticed the last couple of days she's been loving on my shoes, and the keys. And she's pegged me twice today. Ah well. Enjoying it while I can.

**And I know it's a YMMV thing, I'm just saying take a look at what you eat. If you can share that with your lories (and all birds), just the act of sharing might make a difference.
**Also, I recognize there are very delicate lory species representated on here, meeting their diet requirements and the requirements for specific activities, such as breeding, are an art form.

Last edited:

Jess

Real Name
Jess
My first lorikeet Joey had been fed a diet of baby food and honey for about 10-15 years and was in perfect health, i believe this was the standard lorikeet diet before the commercial ones became available.

Its very odd that Kato wont eat any nectar food, but if she has done well for 16 years on what she had then i wouldnt worry too much. Its not ideal but if its all she will eat you dont have much choice.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

She's 16 years old, and has never had to go to the vet because she's sick. .
So you do not really know the health of her internally. Her bloodwork could tell a different story. Lack of a proper diet could shorten a bird's life. Perhaps just offering a softbill pellet would be healthier? If I am correct, like softbills, they are predisposed to ISD.{?} Iron storage disease}

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
There are exceptions to any rule :D
If her diet consists mainly of soaked pellets, then she's getting a fairly decent, nutritional diet. I would be careful about the amount of human food you give her- mainly because of the higher salt content and other things, however it sounds like she is doing well.

If you look at the ingredients of most lorikeet nectars, they are fairly similar to the ingredients in pellets. Lorikeet foods generally have more sugar in them and less protein.

It's best to choose a diet that is tailored to a particular species, however, as you have found there are always exceptions to every rule.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
My first lorikeet Joey had been fed a diet of baby food and honey for about 10-15 years and was in perfect health, i believe this was the standard lorikeet diet before the commercial ones became available.

Its very odd that Kato wont eat any nectar food, but if she has done well for 16 years on what she had then i wouldnt worry too much. Its not ideal but if its all she will eat you dont have much choice.
That is common - a lot of the older references recommended a diet of human baby cereal mixed with milk and honey, or bread soaked in milk as a lorikeet diet, and similar things.

wezl

Real Name
Carla Rae
Well, it really was just musing on my part. A different thread title would've been a better choice...
I have wondered if she just isn't partial to sugar, or excessive sweetness and why. And then I wonder if that's learned, because we aren't overly fond ourselves. No sugar added to tea, no sugar substitutes. Though I'm partial to the cheerios as mentioned. We also use fresh, frozen, and dried herbs, garlic, and peppers for seasonings, rather than copious amounts of salt. So, I suppose those could be factors.
I also wonder about her exposure to sunlight and its influence on her overall health. She has an outside cage, as well. She seems to prefer being outside. I think I worry more about her dealing with all of the cold temps and snow than she does.

That is common - a lot of the older references recommended a diet of human baby cereal mixed with milk and honey, or bread soaked in milk as a lorikeet diet, and similar things.

That's what my Mom's sisters fed their lories, back in the stone-age, bread and milk. I am glad that we've moved past that. I admit to having been appalled when my Mom told me.

I'll clarify, Kato was just seen by my avian vet. She has never had to go to vet because of illness. I should start tracking her blood results with those of other lories. We do that with the skunks, so it makes sense.
And, yes, it was on my mind that there are some pretty odd examples of survival against all odds. Such as the stories of pet skunks living to be 20 years old while spending their whole lives eating cheap dog food and cookies! On average, even in the best home, most advance diets, and highest level of vet care, 8-10 years are the norm

micd

Moving in
I think your feeding the people food is what is saving her. We have a 20 yr old Orange Dusky Lory and try to give him as much people food as possible although the commercial Lory diets have been our staple. Our Lory likes pasta, chicken, fruits and veggies (especially corn and sweet potato) and just about anything else we remember to put in there. We just try to give him as much safe stuff as we can from our own meals.

Good for you that she has had no medical problems. I wish we could say the same. We lost a Yellow Dusky at 9 yrs old due to liver disease. Our two Lories had been fed the same before that. We eliminated the Lory food we were giving that was the higher in iron of the two we were feeding at the time. At one point (around 10 yrs of age) our current Lory developed a skin condition and picked his feathers. They didn't grow back so he is no showpiece. He is 20 now and has some elevated levels showing up in his blood so were re-evaluating his diet.

Good luck!
Michelle

HungryBird

Your bird is one of my dream birds. I would try mixing her pellets in with mashed fruit and juices. You could try these powdered fruit bags too. For insects I would try either Orlux or Bag O' Bugs. You could mix them in with the pellets and fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.