• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why is Elvis beak clicking?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Okay, Elvis recently started beak clicking. He first started doing it to my fiancé but then the past couple mornings has done it with me. I have no idea what this means...... ? He still beak grinds when he's sleepy, etc. The beak clicking is something new for us.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
When I had my cockatoo, I could never really figure out what his beak clicking meant. Sometimes he seemed happy, sometimes he seemed cranky. I found this on the web:
Communicate with your Bird | Beauty of Birds
Thanks. That was interesting. Elvis doesn't seem mad when he does it. He usually does it when he's getting scratches.... I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a mating thing. Always something new with him. LOL.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I was told it was a bonding behavior, but Dex also does this whenever he sees (saw) the dog. He'll do it while getting cuddles, too.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton clicks a lot. If he's excited, it's a very fast clicking. I have to watch him then...over-excitement can lead to bites.

Slow clicks mean happiness and contentment...at least from Milty...;)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
All my Pionus have done that, I always thought that it was a Pionus thing.
Eloy did that when he was young and created a bond to me, he was also exited at the same time. He did click pretty slow compare to my girls.
Akela do that when she is exited to be with me or Eliy, I don't know if it's sexual, I always thought that it just was a happy click.
Eliy do that when she is happy and exited, but only to me that she is bonded to.
Their beak clicking has never been a aggressive behavior.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milty's clicking has never led directly to biting, which is good. But the fast clicking means he's a happy birdie. You have to take his body language into account when he's clicking, of course...;)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Milty's clicking has never led directly to biting, which is good. But the fast clicking means he's a happy birdie. You have to take his body language into account when he's clicking, of course...;)
And I also think that it is a big different with Cockatoos and Pionus.
I guess that one Cockatoo is like 50 Pionus. (at least females) :D

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
My lovies do it when they want to mate. It seems to form part of their little ritual.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Zane and Echo do it all the time. I take it as a very friendly gesture. They when they preen each other or when digging in blanket together. Here's an example of them happy clicking :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yea it covers a range of things/emotions. They do click a lot. lol

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks everyone. Good to know it's normal. It's just weird that we've had him this long and he just started doing it.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Thanks everyone. Good to know it's normal. It's just weird that we've had him this long and he just started doing it.
Reminds me of the time my wife first heard a guinea pig "purring"...she thought that something was wrong or he was sick...

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine make different kinds of clicking. If my GSC2 makes a clicking sound like we would make by clicking our tongue against the top part of our mouth, then she's trying to solicit affection. My goffin's does more of a clacking where the top and bottom beak click together. That sometimes precedes aggression but not always. If he makes that noise, I make sure my face is turned away from him or not within easy reach. He hasn't done it for a few years. The last time I remember him doing it was about the same time he went through a few months of face grabbing aggression.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
All my Pionus have done that, I always thought that it was a Pionus thing.
Eloy did that when he was young and created a bond to me, he was also exited at the same time. He did click pretty slow compare to my girls.
Akela do that when she is exited to be with me or Eliy, I don't know if it's sexual, I always thought that it just was a happy click.
Eliy do that when she is happy and exited, but only to me that she is bonded to.
Their beak clicking has never been a aggressive behavior.
Beak clicking in cockatoos can most definitely = aggression.

It depends on how fast a cockatoo is doing it.

If it's slow it is happiness and bonding(this includes a tongue and upper beak action)

If it's quick and with a click each time the mandible come together you're about to get your bum kicked. (This warning click includes both mandible touching, no tongue).

They also do a fast click when bathing too.

As Cassieddads says, depends on their body language.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Beak clicking in cockatoos can most definitely = aggression.

It depends on how fast a cockatoo is doing it.

If it's slow it is happiness and bonding(this includes a tongue and upper beak action)

If it's quick and with a click each time the mandible come together you're about to get your bum kicked. (This warning click includes both mandible touching, no tongue).

They also do a fast click when bathing too.

As Cassieddads says, depends on their body language.
Thanks. So far, it's just been a slow click. I'll watch though for a fast click. So far, Elvis really has not been aggressive- but I know he's a too..... So.....

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
With my two 95% time when they click it's happy clicking. Zane will sometimes does hard clicks at the vets. To me it just means he's not happy and not always aggressive. It more of a warning sign. For me its not the speed I pay attention to, it's loud and hard or soft and quiet.

Last edited:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby does it, Lurch did it, Nerd did it. It could be happiness or a warning depending on the body language. Dobby also does a tongue click noise like clock clock clock and it usually means he's excited and happy to see you. Of course he loves to make all kinds of whistles, electronic noises, and talks when he's really excited about something. Lurch did similar but he did a LOT more talking with everything else he knew.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Dobby also does a tongue click noise like clock clock clock and it usually means he's excited and happy to see you.
Eloy did the same, I think it's a male thing. :)
Dobby does it, Lurch did it, Nerd did it.
That's why I always thought that is was a Pionus thing.

samccormack

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Scott
Elima does it when she wants attention and she is coming to me. she’ll go click click click and takes a step to me and says “hop up?” then repeats a few times. sometimes she also does a single click and a hop. in her case it’s all happy clicks.