• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why House Pigeons Make Great Pets

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Did you know pigeons are excellent companion animals? Many people who are considering a parrot may do well to also consider a pigeon. Their care needs and their personality are very similar to what many people may expect of a parrot, while parrots are actually much more complicated than many at first assume.

• Unlike parrots, pigeons are truly domesticated and adapted to live in human environments. Even wild adults tame down readily in a few weeks. Young birds, and adults of some fancy breeds, are basically tame by nature.
  • They are intelligent and easily trained. They can learn to step up, come when called, and learn tricks via positive reinforcement in very short time spans.
  • They are super affectionate and often love to be petted, and will preen your hair and fingers.
  • They are tidy! Mine is largely housebroken to use newspapers - and did so with very little reinforcement on my part. Their droppings when kept as pets and fed properly are compact, mostly solid and more easily picked up than parrot droppings. The white staining streaks that come from wild pigeons are the result of malnutrition and will never be seen in a pet pigeon!
  • They cannot chew anything in the home such as furniture or electrical cords, nor can they cause any harm if they bite you.
  • They are remarkably fluffy and soft!
  • Their ideal diet really is just dry seed. They are specialized seed-eaters to a degree not seen in any parrot, and don't digest vegetables or other foods very well, though they can eat some greens in moderation. They do not require additional supplements to thrive except for a little grit and some crushed calcium, though Vitamin D may need to be supplemented if they cannot get natural sunlight. This is all they will need through their entire life of up to twenty five years.
  • Their enrichment needs are much lower and are filled completely by space to fly, interaction with their owner and very simple foraging opportunities. There is no destruction of expensive toys to worry about.
  • Your neighbors will never hear them. Pigeons are quiet. Females hardly make a sound. Males can't be heard outside a closed door.
  • A tame pigeon is very tolerant of handling and will usually accept wearing a harness much more readily than a parrot, often without any training process at all, and enjoy getting outdoors.
  • They are more tolerant of being left alone for short periods and being an only bird, and do not develop neurotic behaviors such as plucking.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
We had several injured wild pigeons when I was a kid at times and at least one of them really did like me and would jump on my hand and shoulder. The last one I rescued as a almost fledgling that we knocked out of his nest at work not realizing there was a bird still living in it. He decided he loved my sister and wasn't real keen on me probably because he remembered the nest incident but he would fly between us in the yard as we held up our arms. I finally gave him to a nice lady who wanted one to hang out with her chickens and he did well there and did the fly to their arms thing as well. One day he was out hanging with the chickens and saw a wild flock nearby and flew off and joined them.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Their droppings when kept as pets and fed properly are compact, mostly solid and more easily picked up than parrot droppings.

OMG... I nearly fell off my chair "their droppings when kept as pets and fed..." I've never considered keeping droppings as pets, but the way my hoarding tendencies are, I've joked about a gold plated one!

Seriously though, I would LOVE to have a pigeon. I've been in love with them my entire life, and the love affair was heightened the year we went to Union Park in San Francisco and I fed them. I could have stayed there. Like, forever!
Then when "Feed the Birds" on Mary Poppins came out with the old lady, I nearly melted. I cry each time I see that because the birds seem so hungry!
:sadhug2:

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Interesting. Can you post photos of your birds, setup and where it is in your home?

There are so many beautiful pigeons out there.

Serin

Very true,,,but they do have stinky poo and get seriously piffed when you clean they're nest..:lol:
Mine does not have any odor.

Interesting. Can you post photos of your birds, setup and where it is in your home?

There are so many beautiful pigeons out there.
I have an old German owl pigeon. She sleeps in a 30 x 18 x 36 cage in the living room and free ranges the rest of the day through my bedroom, the front room, and a sun porch, whether I am home or not. She doesn't get in trouble any more than a house cat or a small dog. She has her favorite perches, loves to look out the window, and is very affectionate when the mood strikes her. She doesn't poop on furniture. The biggest mess is she loses a lot of feathers.

OMG... I nearly fell off my chair "their droppings when kept as pets and fed..." I've never considered keeping droppings as pets, but the way my hoarding tendencies are, I've joked about a gold plated one!
Well, when the PIGEON is kept as a pet and fed properly, of course! :p

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have an old German owl pigeon. She sleeps in a 30 x 18 x 36 cage in the living room and free ranges the rest of the day through my bedroom, the front room, and a sun porch, whether I am home or not. She doesn't get in trouble any more than a house cat or a small dog. She has her favorite perches, loves to look out the window, and is very affectionate when the mood strikes her. She doesn't poop on furniture. The biggest mess is she loses a lot of feathers.

Oh my gosh, she is just gorgeous! That is unbelievable that people can train them to poop on papers! I'd LOVE love love to have a pigeon! The only thing I'd be worried about I think would be accidentally stepping on them. I guess you have to really watch out for that?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't agree with everything. And I don't like to read that they are better then parrots. I hate when you compare two so different bird, and in my world the best bird is the one that suit you best. I have my parrots for a reason, and I did a lot of research before getting them.
And now with that said.

I do love pigeons and doves and think they are excellent companions just like the parrots. I have two outside pair that I feed, and I love them so much.
So much so I sometimes wonder what have happened if I have invited them in. But No, I can't do that, they have their freedom and I don't want to take that away from them.
Before getting my parrots I did consider pigeons after a friend of mine told that they where awesome to have.

Serin

Oh my gosh, she is just gorgeous! That is unbelievable that people can train them to poop on papers! I'd LOVE love love to have a pigeon! The only thing I'd be worried about I think would be accidentally stepping on them. I guess you have to really watch out for that?
She's as big as a kitten, so generally obvious enough to walk around her. But she always scurries out of your way really quickly (and adorably) when you walk through the room.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
She's as big as a kitten, so generally obvious enough to walk around her. But she always scurries out of your way really quickly (and adorably) when you walk through the room.

Oh my gosh, I guess I pictured her much smaller. I'll bet she does look cute when waddling to get away. Does she have a German sounding name?
Now I want a cuddly pigeon! I can't imagine Fergus and Fiona's reaction to see a cute lil' pigeon wandering the house. :heart:

Serin

Oh my gosh, I guess I pictured her much smaller. I'll bet she does look cute when waddling to get away. Does she have a German sounding name?
Now I want a cuddly pigeon! I can't imagine Fergus and Fiona's reaction to see a cute lil' pigeon wandering the house. :heart:
Her name is Olive. :)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Very beautiful birds!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Serin
This is Snowpea, she has the the same " boof" on her head as your Olive :xflove:..the reason I say she has stinky poo is coz she let's off that big morning " bomb" after being in her sleep cage all night
20190211_100016.jpg
20180310_150859.jpg
Here,,,shes giving me the look coz I cleaned her nest.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can you tell male from female?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Olive and Snowpea are gorgeous!

Parrots are pretty intense as pets! I can see a pigeon or dove being much more suitable for an average family who want a nice bird that will be quiet, get on with everyone, like to cuddle and not need so much attention.