• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why Hello There

Sfwoop

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Veronika Gwozdz
Hello!
My name is Sfwoop, or at least that's what I go by on the internet! My pronouns are she/her but its fine if you call me they or them, just please don't call me a guy. I get why it could be confusing because of the username but I have had the same one over multiple platforms for over five years and I feel like changing it now would be very confusing for a lot of people I know.
I have actually been snooping around the forums for a good bit before I decided to finally make an account. There is so much useful information here, from reviews about stores, websites and items to all sorts of interesting at home recipes you could make for your birds as well as a ton of helpful tips and comments about different species!
I am a big fan of birds and have done alot of research about different species I have either owned or wish to own in the future. As of now I have only been able to own two birds on separate occasions, both of whom I really had a strong attachment to and I miss them dearly. I took care of them really well up to the point where people would tell me I was pampering them too much, and lost them both to accidents that I had no control over a few years ago.
I miss them both a lot, but I do still have pictures if someone would ever want to see my babies.
I love talking about experiences with your feathered friends! As well as getting to know anything interesting facts about any of them. I also really like to draw, so maybe in the future I will open up some signature requests if I can free up some time and maybe make some more examples of them.
I am also currently looking for a bird as well, either for adoption or for sale, I miss my little friends but I still loved taking care of them and forming a bond with both. It felt really special and I would really like to experience it again. If anyone has any recommendations for overall social birds in nature please let me know! I am looking for a bird I can spend a lot of time with. A dream one has always been a white bellied caique and maybe in the distant future a red tailed black cockatoo, or any cockatoo to be honest.
Anyway it's nice to finally be part of the forum! I hope to learn a lot on here as well as maybe make some friends who are equally as obsessed with birds as I am!

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
VERY INTERESTING PICTURE...

So where abouts in the world are you located? I am in NW Illinois, USA...
I can equate very much w/ your request to call you a she... I have a very low voice [tenor when I sing], and try not to get offended when a telephone caller refers to me as a Mr.... :rofl:

Would love to see pictures of your birds. We'll have to talk about the Cockatoo issue...

Sfwoop

Real Name
Veronika Gwozdz
Hello! And thank you!
I am located in New York, USA
And yeah, I get the phone call problem, I sometimes run into the same issue myself!
Here are the pcitures of my little friends
The budgie was named Clover after the fact that she loved to nibble on them. I used to make her a daily grass bath (which is just a shallow bowl of water with grass in it) and she would go wild.
The canary wing was named Avi after the fact that when I brought him home my dad called him an avocado. I never let him near any actual avocados though.
Also what do you mean about the cockatoo issue??

Attachments

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
My husbands budgie would walk down to his hands as he washed them and take a bath in his cupped hands...I like that about a grass filled water bowl.

I've never had a Canary Wing keet... didn't think they were that large... she was so tame!

Cockatoo-- we have an Umbrella, Abby... she is so filled w/ love, especially for Steve... I am still in training [can't take my glasses off and other issues]. You NEED to make sure you have the time to devote to what is essentially going to be an 80 year or more BABY... They are so sweet, but NEED FREQUENT love, attention, cuddling, and TIME... I am thankful we are both essentially retired at this point [whoops, that looks like we're very tired, but not that kind of retired]... so we have the time to give her! So necessary for their mental wellbeing.
Are you sure you can handle something that large?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Veronika! 1.welcome signs.gif

I am also currently looking for a bird as well, either for adoption
Have you visitied any local shelters/rescues? I don´t know how that is working now with rescrictions etc but it´s always nice if you can go and meet some of the birds, see who you click with :)

Sfwoop

Real Name
Veronika Gwozdz
Budgies are adorable little trouble makers, and I really enjoy their company.
And yes! That was Avi at only a few months old. Canary Wings usually get around to nine to ten inches in length and are more of a medium sized bird such as a cockatiel, but more stocky, kind of like a Caique. And he was very tame! I was really surprised when I first got him home. He was scared the first few hours because of the new environment but after a bit he climbed down to the entrance of the cage and waited until we opened the door. He immediately rushed to my shoulder after that and it would become his favorite place to sit whenever I had him out. He was also a bird that constantly wanted to be out of his cage, so he only really ended up staying inside when it was nighttime.
And I am very aware of the cockatoo issue, from the screaming to the attention. I would always spend the better part of my day with just playing around and interacting with my birds and it is something I really enjoy to do. I'm a person who constantly wants to be able to do something, and if its spending time with high energy bird is that type of something, then I am more than happy to do so. I have also had experience with them before! So I especially know how they can be. I also have people around me who have shared a similar experience and have the same interests! So if we ever decide on a cockatoo it wouldn't be a one person responsibility. This is also again, a bird I want well into the future! For now I am looking for a Caique unless I end up stumbling upon a different medium sized bird that I just fall in love with. That was my case with Avi.
I was scared when you mentioned the issue because I know that some subspecies of the red tailed are endangered, and maybe you thought I wasn't aware and that it could be a bad idea. The subspecies I have been looking things up about has been one of least concern in terms of population, so hopefully it stays that way into the future when I finally get around to trying to get one!

Sfwoop

Real Name
Veronika Gwozdz
Welcome to the Avenue Veronika! View attachment 375294

Have you visitied any local shelters/rescues? I don´t know how that is working now with rescrictions etc but it´s always nice if you can go and meet some of the birds, see who you click with :)
Thank you for the welcome!
and I am not aware of any nearby shelters/rescues that could have birds for adoption. I have tried asking my local bird store about it and they also do not seem to know of any. The closest one is in Long Island, but they are currently online only. I have also been searching pet finder for listings, but as much as I love some of the little guys and feel bad for them, they are either not a species I am really looking for, have past or present medical issues that I dont have experience taking care of or I do not meet the housing requirements for them when it comes down to things as the gender of the primary caretaker or who lives in my current residence. I still check daily though in case anything pops up.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I can believe some bird stores would not want to share an adoption agency w/ someone... they'd prefer to make money on you selling you a bird.
Also try an Avian Vet-- they might know of someone who has a bird to rehome...

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Welcome!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Sfwoop

Real Name
Veronika Gwozdz
hello! I'm sorry for vanishing! So many people responded! Its so nice to meet all of you! Thank you for the warm welcomes <3
Also thank you for the list of adoption centers! I'll still have to double check to see how far away they are but I will be sure to explore them all at some point! I will also try to call a few avian vets as well, thank you again!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Your birds were really cute. I'm a big fan of canary-wingeds. :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden