• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video why does she yell?

datlamb

Sprinting down the street

i honestly feel like i've tried everything..
giving her spinach, seeds or millet does not seem to work. having her and hopi on me does not work. letting her explore around the table does not work. scritching does not work. a shower does not work. talking to her nicely does not work. having some background noise on or having no noise at all does not work.

i just can't figure out what she's so agitated about.
it's not a sound coming from outside nor something she sees out the window.

for the past 3 days she constantly makes this noise during the morning.
today i wanted to check if maybe my boyfriend waking up around noon makes her stop? maybe she wants to see my boyfriend??

if i leave the room her yelling grows louder but coming over to her and trying to interact with her or talk to her doesn't work.

i've honestly no idea what could be the matter. her mate hopi is as calm and nice as can be. it's only her that's so agitated

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She doesn't sound too agitated, just tweeting. So she still does this while she's getting scritches, showering, or sitting on you, or stops then, but does it right after?

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
She could be flock calling (for her best friend) or just tweeting. Like tiel asked does she stop when shes getting direct attention? :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
To me, she's just making cockatiel chirps. Not screaming. Most birds tend to be vocal in the morning. Just their thing. If it's louder when you leave, she's flock calling to you- wanting to check where you are, etc.

datlamb

She doesn't sound too agitated, just tweeting. So she still does this while she's getting scritches, showering, or sitting on you, or stops then, but does it right after?
She could be flock calling (for her best friend) or just tweeting. Like tiel asked does she stop when shes getting direct attention? :)
OH what a relief to hear she's not agitated! I was so worried something was wrong and i couldn't figure out what..
If I scritch her she still makes this noise only with longer intervals. If she's eating she's quiet but goes right back to being noisy after she finishes.
when she's with me there's no change in her vocalisation
When she calls for me to wake up in the morning it is a different sound than this so Idk if she's calling out to someone. Her mate is right there with her at all times and she always has a visual on me.

My bf does not like animals and doesn't interact with them so I guess it was just a wild guess to think it's because of him

Last edited:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@datlamb how old is she, could be she is just finding her voice

datlamb

To me, she's just making cockatiel chirps. Not screaming. Most birds tend to be vocal in the morning. Just their thing. If it's louder when you leave, she's flock calling to you- wanting to check where you are, etc.
oh yeah! i tries to establish a whistle i do when i'm gone but i don't think she figured out that's my 'flock call' yet :p

she was doing this from 8 am to 12 am. i always assumed "vocal in the morning " would mean an hour or two! haha

@datlamb how old is she, could be she is just finding her voice

she is a year and a half old :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
She sounds like my birds. I think it is normal tiel talk.
Do you give them stuff to chew or play with? Mine love balsa toy

datlamb

She sounds like my birds. I think it is normal tiel talk.
Do you give them stuff to chew or play with? Mine love balsa toy
i'm currently waiting until i sort out my mail so i can order better chewable toys online. the only toys that i saw being sold here that are chewable are colored wooden blocks. there's not much variety. i can't wait to let them play with the wide range of toys found online!
for now i try and keep them entertained by introducing new foods everyday. and i'm thinking of making them some cardboard toys

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
i'm currently waiting until i sort out my mail so i can order better chewable toys online. the only toys that i saw being sold here that are chewable are colored wooden blocks. there's not much variety. i can't wait to let them play with the wide range of toys found online!
for now i try and keep them entertained by introducing new foods everyday. and i'm thinking of making them some cardboard toys
Put some pasta noodles on some hemp/jute string, they will love cracking them off ;)

datlamb

just to make sure... because i'm anxious as always, lol.

when i hear her do this i just let her do her thing? i don't need to come over and calm her down or anything?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She's perfectly happy! You don't have to calm her down!:)

datlamb

OK so apparently she was so vocal because she wanted to nest on her eggs... she had a bunch on unfertilised eggs which she abandoned, so i took it as an opportunity to remove her nestbox but now i see she wants to nest on them again.
what should i do? remove her from the nest and remove the nesting box again? or let her nest until she loses interest?

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Let her nest until she loses interest...but wait at least a week after you think she loses interest. Better to be safe than sorry.