• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why do cats lick plastic bags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Does anyone know the real reason? My cat Morgan LOVES to lick plastic bags. Not just a passing swipe, not a little lick to get something tasty off, but an all out glorious licking session that can last for up to half an hour. No I'm not kidding. I timed her tonight. She just sprawled against it and licked over and over again as if she had found the meaning of true joy locked in the delicious grocery bag and couldn't leave it. Worse? She'll get into my little plastic bag holder where I stuff my used grocery bags and drag one out if she can't get to one. She's got very distinct tastes as well. She prefers Kroger's brand plastic bags. She'll accept walmart ones and sometimes go for the ones from walgreens. However, in a worse case scenerio she will lick the trash bag, but you can tell it's a grudging lick because she has nothing else to go after.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have no idea I thought I had the only cat that did this. :confused: It is mainly plastic grocery bags but it can also be a bag with bagels in it too. Good question I thought that my Nitto was the one and only I guess not :D

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
My cat likes to lick the walls. :confused: But he's always been strange.

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
I've heard that some plastic bags are made with fish oil. I don't know if that's true or not. I do know that plastic bags vary in taste (no, I didn't taste them!). My cat has preferences. The bags from Lowes are her favorite, and the only ones she actually eats. :eek: She also likes bags from World Market. Wal-mart bags and the bags from a local pet store are okay, she licks them and plays with them. She doesn't seem interested in bags from Old Navy. I can't leave anything in its plastic bag if she's around. The plastic bag must be removed from her reach.

She is a strange cat though. She also licks walls, blankets, her toys, mice that she catches, and me. She even gives kisses on command!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I have several cats who like to lick plastic bags. Krogers bags are by far the favorite. Also I have 1 cat who likes to push his head through the bottom of plastic bags. He can not walk past a plastic bag without trying to push his face through it. Needless to say we have to hide plastic bags in our house.

Status
Not open for further replies.