• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why do budgies fluff their head feathers?

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Ive noticed Sunny doing this, usually when my daughter is dancing around in the bird room.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@Fergus Mom @SquawksNibbles @lyx
:)
My lovebirds do it when they are happy, they puff their cheek feathers when they are happy, defending their territory, cuddly, excited and amorous:lol: It seems these days like Henkie’s cheek feathers never depuff:embarassed:

lyx

Sprinting down the street
I agree with @TikiMyn my budgies do this when they're happy or showing off, or when they're practicing their flirting skills with a toy :rolleyes: I bet Sunny is enjoying your daughters dancing!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My English Budgies have an abundance of head feathers as most bird people know. Murphy especially uses his head feathers as part of "body language" He will raise them as if he has a crest when he is either excited or agitated.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Agreed. My Budgies do it a lot when they are upset. For example, sometimes if I move my hand next to them, they will fluff and raise their head feathers, and that is a sign that they are agitated, and that's when I leave them alone. Mine also do it when they are they are happy or comfortable.