• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why did my bird die?

Dancer

Checking out the neighborhood
I had a parakeet for a little under a year. One day he flew into some walls. When I was getting off work later that day I got a call from my Dad that he had run into a wall again, but this time he wasn't moving very much. He died shortly after I got home.
He didn't usually run into walls.was he sick. What could we have done?
I am planning on getting another parakeet but I don't want to make the same mistake. What should I do? Thanks.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry for the loss of your bird. If he was sick, more than likely he wouldn't have been flying around. Sick birds usually sit fluffed up in their cage. Unless it was something neurological? There really isn't a way for us to know. My guess and it's only a guess is that he gave himself a concussion and was maybe disorientated? Or something kept startling him? Unfortunately, I think most of us with flighted birds have had a bird run into something at some point. However, I still think it's better for a bird to be able to fly as it's better for their physical and mental health. Sometime birds fly into windows because they don't realize there is glass there. For that, you can put decals on the windows. For a wall, I think it's more that the bird needs to learn to fly and maneuver around. I guess if the wall was blank you could try hanging something on it but I think bird's usually understand they can't fly through a wall.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No way to know why he passed. Could have been an illness, could have had a concussion and internal injuries from banging into walls??
Sorry for your loss.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So sorry. Did this bird have a wellness check by avian vet? First thing that crossed my mind was the bird's vision. The don't usually fly into a wall multiple times.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I had one that flew into a wall and seemed disoriented. Rushed it to the vet and he said it was in shock, and that they can die from shock.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I had a dog and rabbit once (not at the same time) that both had seizures and both would run into walls when they were having a seizure. I don’t know anything about neorogical problems in birds though. Vision problems, other neurological ptoblems, and shock seem like plausible reasons too. I’m so sorry for your loss.